Multiple opponents

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by Shou Tu, Mar 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shou Tu

Shou Tu New Member

to Dispell all this I have yes been attacked by 4 on 1. i was 19 yrs old, at a bar in Lawton OK outside Fort Sill. enjoying my time off and having some brews.

I walked away with a bruised rib, as for my attackers, knocked one out, put two down to the floor with strikes, other broken arm. this being two yrs after I hadnt trained fully in a studio. 1600 miles away and Military took up most of my time.

I have done this and know it works. At the skill level i am at against everyday joes.
    Just as the in the military training i have had and continue to recieve we train as we fight. Its been proven over and over again in many wars that what the military does work. take that mentality and put it to your MA training.

If you are only training for one attacker thats all your going to feel confident in taking on. Yes mistakes are going to be made. and yes if your not confident in your fighting abilities against more than one attacker then your going to have the urge to run.

That isnt taught to us nor is it told to us. My Shifu told me once that if a man with a bat is trying to hit you in the head, his intentions arent to just hurt you, his intentions are to kill you. so you defend with your life on the line. nothing short of it.

Simply put I have taken on more than one attacker and walked away. Keeping your head on a swivel.

Salute,

Blue

Last edited: Mar 4, 2004
  2. jroe52

jroe52 Valued Member

"My thoughts are that if an instructor is telling you or teaching you only one attacker then he got his **** beat by more than one and has no confidence in his art to prevail over more than one. "

leave this part out and you have a good argument lol.

what about sifu's that train students for 1v1 self defense, tournaments, health, or some other goal ? then why should they care about multiple attackers lol.

i agree though, confidence is built by the scenerios you practice. shou shu is not the only 2+v1 form, though since you may practice it more in class that gives you an advantage.

3. Shou Tu

Shou Tu New Member

Adaptablility is how we train. the training sessions we use for mulitiple arent scripted the attackers come at us with what ever they want to, MA or just plain jane stree mentality. it becomes full speed, after the crawl , walk phases of it.

we train to apply what we learn to everything. not just scripted outlines in training.

I agree we arent the only art that teaches two on one. but we do emphazise the fact that it can and will happen. there will be fights that i lose based on my attackers experience. but will give it one hell of a shot no matter what.

Salute,

4. shifu tiger

shifu tiger enter my circle of death

i never once said that shou shu people are undefeatable. we do train in multiple attacks from the time a student walk into our school. no one is impervious! i think if anyone out there is searching for a realistic fighting art than shou shu is the system for you. if you're looking to run from a life threating situation than may i suggest the track team. my views are simple, i may get hit in a fight, if i do so what, i take as many out as possible. how a person reacts to a situation all depends on how he or she trains. if you train to score points then you will most likely be pulverized in a real fight. in shou shu we have no points, trophies, badges or tournaments. i sincerly hope some of you can visit one of our many schools throughout california, shou shu is an art that needs to be seen to believe. we have schools in the following cali. cities, sacramento, lodi, turlock, stockton, hayward, manteca, dinuba, the los angelas area too and i may be forgetting a few. salute

5. Guerilla Fists

Guerilla Fists New Member

I have not taken on ten opponents...I've taken on fifteen. It was them on me. I've posted this story before on other threads so to save repeating myself you'll get the cliff notes. Shou Shu principles and a fighting mindset saved my ass literally. As far as I am concerned I won that fight because firstly I literally walked away from it when it was all over with nothing more than some bruises, scars, and cuts. No broken bones or irreparable wounds. Seconly I accomplished my goals in that fight which consisted of keeping them out of my father's house and chasing them out of a friend's car they brok into. I still have the scars on my knuckles and wrists from when I smashed their teeth.
    I take delight in knowing a good number of them came away from that fight much worse than I did. Shou Shu gave me the mental strength to stay mentally focused in a physically chaotic situation.
    I've said it once and I'll say it again, those who don't know, not only don't know, they don't know that they don't know.

6. Shou Tu

Shou Tu New Member

Methods of training are key

Andy,

10 opponents is a good fair number of bodies. But in your training have you ever trained to react to being attacked at the same time? Trained to react to defending and keeping your head on a swivel to see where the next guy is coming from. Not matter one on one people should train as though its going to be a multiple opponent fight. Nowadays it never is just one on one. Training is the key to gaining the upper hand.

training breakdown.

4 V 1

Confrontation starts. got the talker in front of you always they never seem to want to talk to you unless your looking at them. Why because his friends are trying to creep around you. Let em, as the talker is talking your walking towards him, unload on him fast and hard, dont wait for him to try. That is what his buddies are waiting for his motion to start the beating.

get around him while beating him senseless. the rest of them are again in front of you not in a single line but in front of you. the next attacker if there is one, pretty much the same thing at this point it shouldnt matter what you do just hurt them really bad and fast. mind you after that guy there will be two left and of course two groggy ones moving about on the ground in their way. Why not run well you just wasted energy and the other two didnt. might as well finish what you started (actually what they started and your just finishing).

Hell get four friends that dont take MA or that Do practice the scenerio on both. until you can move without thought and attack at what is moving towards you without thought.

Salute,

Blue

7. kickcatcher

kickcatcher Banned Banned

Have you guys seen the Stupendous Delusions thread? Whilst I am reticent to judge a style/club which I don't know squit about, what is being claimed about Shou Shu seems so non-credible.

If you can take out 10 attackers, find better attackers!

8. Guerilla Fists

Back to the subject. The best technique for defending against multiple attackers-
    1- Cut to the outside. There is no point going towards the middle because then you surround yourself with opponents. Cut to the flank so less can reach you.
    2- Create less surface area. This is where the phrase "fists up, backs against the wall" come from. You create less surface area by placing yourself in corners, against walls, into alley ways. This makes your tactic to fight as little as possible of the group at one time.

9. Shou Tu

Shou Tu New Member

This is why we havent started new threads

Based on our training in Shou' Shu' and how we are trained, its very credible.

But you see Andy this is why we have secluded ourselves to our own conversation. 80% of the people that are taking Shou' Shu' have taken other arts before Shou' Shu'. But the attitude above is the main reason why we dont talk outside our threads alot.

you cant have a conversation on training without someone saying what we do cant be done.

this thread was to exchange ideas on multiple opponents. how many you could take on based on your skill level, why you felt that way and exchange training ideas.

i did not intend this thread to again be labeled as a Shou' Shu' Chest Thumping thread. We dont say other styles can or cant do something. Because we dont know, that is why we are here. TO LEARN FROM EACH OTHER.

Salute,

Blue

10. Guerilla Fists

I noticed that too SSB, but I thought I would try anyway to get the subject back on track. LOL, can't expect any change from their booreish attitudes. So forget about them. Obviously we have nothing to gain from their ignorance and close mindedness. We have proved our mettle time and again and that's good enough for us.

11. Shou Tu

Shou Tu New Member

the reply you posted was exactly what i was hoping for.

Thanks again 8

Salute,

Blue

12. shifu tiger

shifu tiger enter my circle of death

hey 8 we both know wassup, outsiders will never understand unless they become students in shou shu. they're very quick to dismiss something they know less than nothing about just because it doesn't fit into their "reality". hey no problem. so i think trying to convince these guys is a complete misuse of our valuable time. seeing and feeling are believing. it just reinforces in my own mind how far superior shou shu is compared to most everything out there. must we continue to beat a very dead horse????? salute

13. Guerilla Fists

I see your point and am beginning to understand your policy of isolation and uninvolvement with these cretins. That's why I say "forget about them".
    But at the same time there are cool people on this board who I do find constructive dialogue with. So I guess I just have to pick and choose my battles. Wise words Shifu, wise words.
    Salute All,

14. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

*Prostrates imself...

"We are not worthy. We are not worthy. We are not worthy"

15. Guerilla Fists

YODA, what are you on about?

16. YODA

I'm refering to the superiority complex that seems so prevalent amongst the Shou Shu crew.

:rolleyes:

17. Guerilla Fists

LOL, as if we cared what you or anyone else downplaying our style thinks! We work hard and see the benefits of our work.'
    Furthermore I find it...interesting...that you as a moderator would rather partake in the skepticism and sarcasm rather than contribute to what you would/have use(d) against multiple opponents. You're more than welcome to contribute something constructive, rather than further facilitate isolating us.

18. YODA

Spoken like a true believer. :rolleyes:

19. Guerilla Fists

There is no need to believe when it saves your life. I can say that for my style, few of the "sport" MAists on these forums can say that for theirs.

20. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

8fold path, take a chill pill mate.

It's not everyday someone claims to be able to take on 10 opponents at a time, so it's only natural some people will be sceptical.

Perhaps you guys should train ways of taking on Multiple Skeptics?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.