Multiple opponents in ninjutsu

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by Please reality, Apr 7, 2015.

1. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I often wonder what it would be like to fight two people at once who were not trained in martial arts at all. It's not something easily replicated in a safe environment. I don train specifically for multiple opponents, but I still wonder if I could do it. In fact I have t even been in a real fight since I starts training, that thought has crossed my mind a lot less oddly enough.

2. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

I don't pretend to be particularly experienced in fighting, but I have had to deal with more than one person who was either untrained, or so badly trained you couldn't notice.

Honestly, 80% speed/power sparring with someone well-trained is more scary. But that could also be luck that I've not ended up in too hairy a situation out in the "real world".

Anyway, find a couple of guys up for 2-on-1 sparring in your gym. What have you got to lose?

3. icefield

icefield Valued Member

For everyone of those missed jabs or stuffed tackles you can find a couple of videos of them landing against resisting opponents, wonder why you cant with this technique.....:rolleyes:

4. garth

garth Valued Member

Robin 101 posted

Please Reality posted

Years ago I attended a eminar with Dionne Cannette (I think thats how you spell his name) and he said that in the Phillipinnes there is a style of kali that immediately goes to the ground when the fight begins. The reason is that its so swampy in that area that you are going to fall over if you fight.

The problem is Robin 101 is that you are only thinking of techniques in relation to the ring. Ninjutsu is an art that was used in multiple environment, the battlefield, paddy field, mountains, riverine areas, and during the day and at night. As such many of these techniques have evolved out of a need to operate in various areas and under different conditions. Certain techniques in the arsenal of Ninjutsu may not suit the ring but are perfect when in a different environment operating under different conditions.

If you are only looking at Ninjutsu through the eye of the fight ring then you are missing the whole point of why Ninjutsu as an art came to be in existence.

5. benkyoka

benkyoka one million times

The ninja weren't the only warriors who had to contend with the terrain/battlefields of Japan. If techniques like the one mentioned were born out of necessity we could expect to see very similar in many of the schools that were around then and survive to this day. Is that the case? Would be an interesting thing to look into.

6. garth

garth Valued Member

Lots of Sutemi in the Tai No Kata of Takagi Yoshin Ryu,

7. althaur

althaur Hunting scum

Well, I don't know about 2 on 1, but 4 on one sucks. :) Especially when number four is the knucklehead whose hiney you were trying to keep from getting kicked in the first place. :bang:

In my experience, it's damage control until you can disengage or help shows up. I walked away unscathed, number four got punched in the throat and 1-3 had some roughed up shins and arms. I walked back into Chevy's Restaurant and finished my meeting with the guy who wanted to join the Army Reserves.

I really miss San Francisco.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2015
  8. benkyoka

benkyoka one million times

Is the double leg kick being discussed in there?

9. Crucio

Crucio Valued Member

If you fight them in a controlled environment i'm sure you'l do better then you imagine. How do you think some untrained guy will feel being put against an MMA bad ass, even if he has a friend? :p

In real life, it's horrible. The fear comes not from what you see in front of you (one guy or 2) but of the unknown. Are those 2 guys alone or just the most willing and when things get rolling another one, ore two, or more, get the courage and chip in?

I think fighting multiple opponents is more about awareness and state of mind, then quality of techniques.

10. kouryuu

kouryuu Kouryuu

You're just a big bully Josh

11. althaur

althaur Hunting scum

I'm a delicate flower, Norm.

12. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Hit and keep hitting until you dont need to anymore

Boxing reigns supreme in these situations

13. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Reminds me of a story told by Lee Banda.

He was in a pub and through the window saw a lad being set upon out on the street by a couple of guys.

He was about to go and help, but noticed the guy kept a high guard, kept moving and kept striking.

14. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Firstest with the mostest!