Multiple opponents in ninjutsu

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by Please reality, Apr 7, 2015.

1. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Some pretty terrible stuff in that Akban video. All I kept thinking was "why is he choosing to do his pre-emptive attack in the worst possible position? Why doesn't he use body language and verbals to place himself in a good position to begin engaging these guys?".

It makes no sense. He says that he is attacking first to dictate the terms of engagement, but he chooses to open the engagement by giving his back to one guy after a sucker-punch that may, or may not, work on the other.

If you're training to fight people who wear lead shoes, maybe this would work. But in the real world, how do you know the other guy will still be there when your spinning elbow comes around?

As for the Nagato video, I'm not sure what it proves, other than Nagato is just a man like everyone else.

Even at such slow speeds and with such lacklustre attacks, he still gets punched straight in the chest. Saying the attacks are lacklustre because the attackers are scared of him is not a good argument at all, because that's how most useless MA convince students that their teachers are bad dudes without having to provide any evidence.

Still, I did think the takedown to behind, at the end of the video, was tasty :)

This is an oldie, but it is still the best video on mass attack that I've seen on YouTube. Plenty that is done differently from our stuff, but the context is different because of how the 1-on-1 approach is taught. However, the main principles remain consistent, because they follow logic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrZ0UGuikdM

Last edited: Apr 13, 2015
  2. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

...When his assailants let him.

3. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

it doesn't get better than the vu for so many things.

4. David Harrison

I probably wouldn't want him at a dinner party, but the guy generally talks sense and looks like he can scrap :)

5. Giovanni

if i remember correctly, he instructed seal team 6. so yes, i believe he can scrap.

6. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Trust me, he can

7. David Harrison

I prefer to judge people's skill by what I see, rather than their Curriculum Vitae ;)

I take Hannibal's word for it though :)

8. Please reality

Please reality Back to basics

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2h5b7hYm4E"]SRS åˆè¦‹è‰¯æ˜* ä¼èª¬ã®æ*¦é“家 : Master of Ninja (2000) - YouTube[/ame]

Here's the entire video, interesting faces of people who used to live here. There are a lot of good points made, and a bit more to see. The moves to get out of the achilles lock were interesting(granted he didn't have positional control or the lock on), and the point he made when asked if locks like that were in ninjutsu, was golden. "Everything is." Also a few examples of total beginners taking the sakki test.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
  9. hatsie

hatsie Active Member Supporter

Like Do you even lift cool aid bro?

10. robin101

robin101 Working the always shift.

I liked the bit at 4:28 where they are demoing a double leg kick to the attackers leg, and then they show you a clip of a guy trying to do it in an MMA bout and his opponent just steps out of the way.

11. Please reality

Do you get as excited when someone misses with a jab or a tackle gets stuffed?

12. robin101

wasnt getting exited, was more wondering why they didnt show a clip of it actually working. I wonder why not?

But I do find it amusing when someone in MMA tries a ridiculas technique and it falls flat. Who doesnt?

13. Please reality

It would be more of an intellectual exercise to examine why it failed, instead of assuming you know(or that it's ridiculous). I get it though, it is easier to mock what you don't understand than to look into why you don't get it.:rolleyes: I see spelling doesn't get you excited either, maybe exited.

People miss roundhouse kicks all the time, same with straight rights. You wouldn't assume that either were poor technique because you see them fail once would you(assuming you'd never seen or tried them before)? No, you'd probably look for more examples or try them out. There is a time and place for everything, nothing is fail proof, save ignorance(it is failure).

14. robin101

Mocking my hurried spelling. Stay classy :rolleyes:. I understand why it failed, what i dont understand is why any sane person would think its a good idea, even in the ring, let alone in a real fight. (i assume thats what the ninjas are training it for yes?)

Yea nothing is fool proof, shots miss all the time. But logically, to me, throwing myself to the ground, in order to double kick the guys leg? That ends up with best case, both of you on the ground and worse case, ( as we saw) he simply moves his leg, you miss and end up on the ground. Seems a counter productive technique

15. Please reality

Your original post was fine before you decided to go back and add some insults. The epitome of class I'm sure. If you spent as much time spell checking as you did mocking the ninjutsu forum, maybe your posts would be better. But I digress.

I can think of many situations where suddenly dropping down out of sight would be a useful skill, it is a strategy found in many martial arts and other forms of training for reality.

Any kick can miss if you don't set it up, the distancing is bad, or you telegraph it. In the MMA fight, he does a jumping kick to a standing opponent, so there is nothing about being on the ground. Otsuka stretched his legs out too far, that is why he fell, but due to his opponent's reaction, he was too far away to really capitalise on him going down. Risky? Sure, but like a front kick to the chin, if it catches him it can be effective. In the examples in Hatsumi sensei's video where he dropped down to the ground, the position and distancing were different. Those kinds of techniques, like any jumping kick(knee) or punch, need to be done at the right time and work better with a setup or when the opponent is expecting something else. That kind of goes without saying though. It's like when you see a guy wind up with a roundhouse kick(or telegraph it) and his opponent just steps out of the way.

16. robin101

Sigh , you know what forget it, if you think this is a good idea, then more power to you.

From now on I will refrain from commenting on any threads you write, because you seem to think me speaking my mind is Ninjutsu bashing. ( Btw nothing against ninjutsu, just find aspects of it hard to swallow, as I find in ALL martial arts)

Sorry if I have seemed antagonistic or whatever.

17. Please reality

Whatever. I said that sutemi waza and jumping techniques had a place, but they are risky so you need to set them up correctly. Ninja bashing is ninja bashing, it that is speaking your mind, then you might consider your thoughts. You don't have to like or agree with what you see, it is how you discuss it that makes it interesting conversation or antagonistic bashing. Good luck in your martial pursuits.:hat:

18. Giovanni

sure you can put any number of things in an art that has compliant training, even "everything". but doesn't mean you can actually use in when you need to, or that it would work.

and to me, that's the problem with the guard pull in the video. if one doesn't actually close their guard when pulling guard, then it's way more likely that the defender just needs to turns their hips and step one foot back. then you, the guard puller, are left with your back on the ground, your hips up, an open guard, and big trouble. you can try striking from an inferior position even, it's remarkably easy to pass someone's guard when their hips are up and their shoulder blades are on the ground.

if there would have been some pressure testing of that technique, then i doubt that would make the list of "everything". while it looks fancy when doing a demo, in reality, bad news.

same with grabbing the achilles heel with each hand and doing the sweep or trip or whatever you want to call it. in reality, that technique would be much more likely to succeed if you were to have someone in your guard on the ground, and they stand up. pulling your guard, and not closing it as mentioned above, would make the likelihood of hitting that technique even more unlikely. and let's face it, that sweep needs to be implemented very, very quickly in a very well timed manner.

19. David Harrison

I'm a simple guy. All I was wondering was: "why jump on a guy and lock your legs around him just to punch him in the face? Why not just punch him in the face to begin with?"

Who was the guy in white? He got on the wrong end of the shinai quite a few times while he was rolling around. Not sure what that was supposed to demonstrate... apart from rolling around on the floor while two people try to hit you with sticks is not an optimal tactic.

Gotta say though - what was up with the adverts? Too weird...

20. benkyoka

benkyoka one million times

Bad spelling is what? Annoying? Didn't it take you two years to learn to quote correctly?