multiple enemies

Discussion in 'Judo' started by spankythefrog, Jan 12, 2006.

1. Atharel

Atharel Errant

If that's not what you arguing, what is the point of all of your recent posts? Defending your personal decision which you're now admitting doesn't have anything to do with whether judo or BJJ is more effective for SD, but rather which fits better into your personal jkd plan? I don't think anyone's arguing about your right and ability to decide which is better for you, but it doesn't really look like that's what you've been saying.

2. SouL

SouL Valued Member

well im arguing why i wud suggest bjj over judo from my exp if someone came to me asking which one of the two they shud take purely for SD. Alot of people are not interested in JKD philosphy and most of the time just want to know which one they shud take from some options they have. I just thk if you had no choice but to choose between the two then id advice them bjj from my personal exp as i feel its more relvent. This does not mean i disrepect either art or dont realise they both have their limits.This is what people assume when one suggests one style over another.

Im obviously not coming across how i mean to or have got lost in the process lol so i thk it wud be best for all concerned if I stopped wasting anymore time posting in this thread. :rolleyes:

3. Juego Todo

Juego Todo Stay thirsty, my friends.

Judo vs. multiple opponents can work, but most probably whilst controlling one assailant.

One possible scenario: Grab the guy closest to you (the biggest guy, if possible), tie him up (e.g. hadaka jime) and threaten to get rid of him if they don't back-off far away. Use him as a shield/object of negotiation. If they move in or don't listen to your order, increase the pain factor. If they do move far back, either finish him with a sleeper and/or break something quickly (e.g. knee, elbow, shoulder) if you know some atemi waza and run away...fast and out of sight.

It happened to me many years ago. I was very lucky to get away. I hope I don't find myself in that predicament again, but it just happened out of the blue. They didn't have weapons or, at least, they didn't use them on me, thankfully. You never, ever know how it's going to turn out...it may not be in your favour, realistically speaking.

Just try to train realistically and have just a couple of techniques that you can hopefully count on to get you out of most situations and master them 'til you can do them in your sleep. Always visualize possible situations. No need for a 1,000 techniques when only a few may actually be able to save you.

Remember simple things that make a difference, like trying to keep a wall or something similar behind you so that they can't move behind you. Also, You don't have to be a trained boxer, etc. in order to inflict striking damage. Use your judo while trying to strike. How many times have we been hit by a little kid...and it hurt?! Tie-up and strike. Or throw one into another. Easier said than done but, hey, this is the topic of discussion and we're all trying to help each other.

Despite your technical prowess, try to control your emotions for different situations. Train in stressful scenarios with various partners, etc., to closely mimic threatening situations. Without the presence of mind, your vast array of techniques will prove to be useless to you. If you freeze, you can't do a darned thing. It's just not the physical that we have to train for.

We can talk all day long but the real learning happens after you go through it (and hopefully not!). You'll only then find out what really works and what really doesn't...if you survive, that is. Unless you've been through it, it's all just speculative. There are an uncountable number of possible situations that you could find yourselves in regarding multiple assailants whilst having some judo training within you. I was just very lucky in the one that I had to face. Anyway, just my contrib. All the best in your training. Thanks :)

4. Timmy Boy

Timmy Boy Man on a Mission

The problem with your JKD emphasis is that it's not the same thing. The kind of JKD you're talking about, as taught by the straight blast gym, is basically MMA. BJJ is taught for the groundfighting aspect and there is stuff from other arts to cover the other areas. This is not the same as advocating pure BJJ which is pretty much all about groundwork.

If you asked me what I'd prefer out of judo and pure BJJ, I'd go with judo because it's better balanced. If you asked me what I'd prefer out of judo and JKD, of course I'd go for JKD because, again, it's more balanced.

As far as beating them after only 2 weeks' BJJ experience goes, then sorry but I think that's just down to your natural ability, or due to strength. You wouldn't have been able to use the BJJ moves that aren't legal in judo, and 2 weeks of BJJ isn't exactly loads, so there's nothing there that would have given you a huge advantage on the ground.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2006
  5. Teryan

Teryan Valued Member

[​IMG]

Get it?

6. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

^^^ Heh heh heh! :D

7. Dizzutch

Dizzutch New Member

Here's my experience with multiple opponents, some points might have been mentioned, but i don't feel like reading all 4 pages. I study Kenka Aiki-Jitsu as well as Judo, and when we fight multiple opponents, Judo comes in handy once you have control of one opponent. The key skill to have when fighting multiple, is taking control of one (either in reverse bulldog, or strangle from the back) and make sure you are always between him and the other opponents, once you feel ready to take on the others, perform ukemi waza on the opponent in your control and go to take down another opponent. Of course on the street one wouldn't just throw the guy, but make sure to step on his face after he lands or make sure he doesn't get up again by other means. We do a lot of 1 vs. 2 kumite in dojo, for it takes a different type of thinking and a different approach to being in control of the fight.

8. zenmonk

zenmonk Valued Member

I read the 10 first replies, and had to comment here regarding "multiple opponents".

I doubt there's no single fighter in a world who could really attack against more than 1 opponent exactly the same time (without having a "split second" gap between attacks). There are all kinds of fancy roundkicks and whatnot but it's not like you do one roundkick and then 10 opponents around you are kicked away.

I think Judo puts bit more emphasis on 1 to 1 situation than perhaps some other arts, but I still think it can be effective against for example 2 opponents. I base my knowledge on what I saw on TV :)

It was roughly decade ago I saw Judo in Olympic Games. I started watching as there was some black belt judoka from Japan. The guy was just standing there, I believe his arms were down... he just looked like he was going nowhere and had no rush to anywhere.

Then the opponent came closer.

Then I something happened that my brain quite couldn't register (since it happened so fast). But the end result was that the japanese Judoka did SOMETHING that lasted like a split-second, and after my eyes finally could tell - the other guy was lying in the ground. The judoka had done extremely quick throw (you could compare some people kicking others at much slower speed), and was ready to do something else.

In theory (if you are great in judo), to my it sounds that you could like throw very many opponents to ground... as long as you move in good positions and have the energy and skills to do that.

Just my 2 cents - never practised judo.