Multi-style jiu jitsu seminar - my brief review

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by Vince Millett, May 15, 2017.

1. Dunc

Dunc Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Yeah it's a question of degree - No one sensible is suggesting that poking a nerve is sufficient, or that kyusho are deadly

Probably most people are familiar with the "elbow dig" method to open the guard. Personally I feel this is a bit structurally compromised it's an example of using kyusho to add to a strucural movement

Ian Rose showed a couple of techniques using kyusho (including quite an effective half guard pass) at the last MAP Meet. If they work for someone operating at an Olympic level....

I find that, from closed guard if your opponent frames with their arm to keep posture then striking the point just below the crook of the elbow as you hook the arm and drag it to your centre line works great

Equally releasing grips with one hand controlling the sleeve/wrist etc and the other striking an appropriate place on the arm/wrist/hand all work well & better than popping the grip off

Yeah this applies to all striking, but it's a spectrum. Striking the arm isn't quite the same as the head I think