Muay thai vs karate

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by 8limbs38112, Jan 15, 2014.

1. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Rhetorical questions aren't complicated. They don't need to be answered. That's what makes them rhetorical.

This question actually could be answered. That answer could be supported by observable evidence. Those observations could be replicated under similar circumstances. And the assertion could be proven to a reasonable degree of confidence.

Unless there's no evidence.

2. EdScissorhands

EdScissorhands New Member

EDIT: I deleted this post for compassion to MAP and their audience.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  3. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Because we ask that people actually back up their statements with reasoning and evidence? Yeah, we're a real bunch of negative nellies.

4. EdScissorhands

Just martial arts 15 hours a day - that's all I do.

5. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

That's the closest I have seen Ap to being angry.....ever

I feel my territory is being infringed upon

6. Hannibal

Whilst training that length of time takes dedication, one cannot help but be reminded of the maxim "train smarter not harder"

Most competitive athletes have comparable schedules

7. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Right?! I nearly knitted an eyebrow for a sec there.

Worry not, my friend. Your position as Angriest Mapper remains secure. :)

8. EdScissorhands

They might touch the same level during peak-training for competition. But it is not so on a day-to-day basis. Even without anything else, normal people's lives are full of distractions. Add the rest or life's complications back in - and you know it's true.

Not all the monks are like that though. Some just doss about.

Yes, the occasional Mozart exists, and they probably have a similar standard in their youth - but they tend to go totally off the rails later. But people like that aren't a large group of society.

9. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

And when, would you say, was the last time that a Shaolin monk was required to actually use those skills? I'll accept that some of them are very dedicated practitioners. But when was the last time a Shaolin monk actually defended himself against bandits? Or an oppressive government? Or whatever?

Replicating movements that have been handed down from a day when these things were used in actual combat doesn't mean you automatically inherit the timing, mindset, and other crucial factors. Living away from the world may simply mean LESS experience of the sorts of things that prompt combat. When was the last time a Shaolin monk got mugged? Or accosted at a party? Or caught in a football riot?

That singular focus you refer to may very well mean the complete removal of tests to their combat skills.

10. Hannibal

I've met a legit monk (Master Yang) he was in the UK visiting and he was hanging around with an old instructor of mine (and Simon's actually) - very nice guy,very talented

In a scrap I fancy my chances

11. EdScissorhands

I share your sentiments.

That's why I included a caveat at the beginning of my supposition - "if we were to argue" etc. The words may be wrong, but I think you understand the sentiment.

12. EdScissorhands

What's the point in discussing something that's obviously never going to happen?

13. 8limbs38112

8limbs38112 Valued Member

It turns out, a legit black belt in karate takes about 8-10 years. Someone told me the only people that give out black belts in 5 years are McDojos. I'm surprised nobody here knew that.

14. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

Because it's not true.

I got my Black Belt in 4 years of solid hard training. But then I never missed a grading and did lots of supplemental training. I've got a fairly good rep in the karate world.

5 years is a good average for someone prepared to commit.

15. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Who told you that?

Mitch

16. Hannibal

Someone misinformed you. What was their background out of interest?

8-10 years at twice a week may be accurate

4-5 at 4 times a week is consistent within that same timeframe

3 years busting your butt every day is equally feasible

17. 8limbs38112

8limbs38112 Valued Member

The person that told me that was from sherdog.com. Most Dojos don't hold classes more that 3 times a week. I don't know of any karate schools that hold training every day. But that's just from what I've seen in my area. All the schools I looked at were 2-3 times a week.

18. Hannibal

The dojo I teach at has classes every day, as do many others in the city. Does he mean they don't hold the same type every day? (i.e beginner, intermediate, advanced).

I can also see how a part-time dojo (church or school hall rentail) has limited days. Even with that said 2-3 nights a week is adequate with sufficient self practice (which is where most people fall down sadly).

The Sherdog poster is way off base on this one

19. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Does legit mean something different where you come from?

20. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I used to train twice a week at my home club because that's how often it was on. I just went to another club a couple of nights a week to make sure I got enough time in. Add that to training at home and as you say, you can get the required time in.

Mitch