Muay Thai style Tai Chi/ Kata etc

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by swampthing500, Mar 1, 2005.

1. swampthing500

swampthing500 New Member

is there any such thing? like the old guy in kickboxer?
    thanks

2. hazzamoffin

hazzamoffin New Member

If there is then i've never seen it. We do some line work, but after that its mainly pads and sparring.

Admittedly i mainly kickbox, but i wouldn't have thought that any such movements were done in muay thai either.

3. DEATHskull

DEATHskull TKD Bearfighter

What about that dance thing that Tong Po did before the fight?

4. Aaren J

Aaren J New Member

The Ram Muay? Or was it called the Wai Khru......Ikken!

5. nicolo

nicolo Valued Member

Eh? I think that old master in "Kickboxer" did both Tai Chi AND muay Thai, or so the movie goes. It's not muay Tai Chi, but that'd be interested to see.

It's ram muay...

6. swampthing500

swampthing500 New Member

thanks

thanks guys...
    whats ram muay ? lol

7. DEATHskull

DEATHskull TKD Bearfighter

"Lastly, each fighter will perform a "Ram Muay", a dance-like ritual during which they will go through motions which imitate various fighting movements, animals, and professions (e.g. a soldier with a spear, an executioner). The Ram Muay has evolved into a unique routine developed by many gyms, which serve as an identifier of a fighter's gym or camp. The movements emulate many of the basic Muay Thai fighting positions. The Ram Muay also serves to loose up the two fighters and give them extra time to collect and focus themselves on the match at hand."

That's from http://www.vutmuaythai.com/about.htm the rest of the site is pretty interesting too. I guess most of this isn't usually done outside of Thailand.

8. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

ram muay and wai kru are not the same thing- wai kru is a dance to respect your teacher (kru) and ram muay is to ask for protection and victory (DONT quote me on that, im sure someone like khun khao can go into more detail)

9. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

The old guy in "Kickboxer" is Chinese. The actor's name is Dennis Chan, if I remember correctly. In any event, he's not Thai. And he's certainly not a Thai boxer. So if you're interested in learning about real muay thai, step 1 would be to completely ignore that movie. :)

10. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

muay thai kata? The very thought makes me shiver with revulsion...

11. wayofthedragon

wayofthedragon The Defender

Well, I don't know nothing of muay thai forms.....I did try to look up such a thing, with no luck of course. I did find out something interesting that I really didn't know before though. I didn't Know that muay thai had so many different styles........
    http://www.ancientmuaythai.com/styles/muay_thai.htm#top

Last edited: Mar 19, 2005
  12. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

Interesting link.
    Hint; muay thai doesn't have any forms...
    so much the better....

13. TheMightyMcClaw

TheMightyMcClaw Dashing Space Pirate

The only thing I can think of is in the movie Ong Bak. In the beginning, the hero does something that looks like a Muay Thai "kata". Is there anyone who can elaborate on this?