Muay Thai Sparring Tutorial

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by Unreal Combat, Jul 8, 2014.

1. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

Muay Thai Sparring Demonstration

Jompop Kiatphontip, Muay Thai Kru, former No.1 at Rajadamnern Stadium and Head Coach of Kiatphontip Gym in Leeds is here filmed by the Warrior Collective giving a demonstration on how sparring Muay Thai in Thailand is done to minimise injury and maximise skill progression.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-tnU-bJbGE"]Muay Thai How to Spar Tutorial - YouTube[/ame]

Bit of fun trivia. Jompop Kiatphontip was the referee for my fight back in May. :)

Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
  2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

It looks almost nothing like how I like to spar D:

3. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

That guy's great! "Kick ass!" :D

Mitch

4. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

How was that a tutorial? I mean it was fun and all that but there was no explanation on what was going on, how techniques were controlled or modified, what was allowed and what wasn't, etc.
    It looked like punches were turned into palms or slaps, elbows aimed at the chest and shoulders, low kicks sent without much power or hip commitment, knees placed and pushed rather than sent with force etc.
    Stuff like that needed pointing out IMHO.

5. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

I suppose the better word would be demonstration. I'll edit the thread title to better reflect that.

The idea of the video is to show people how sparring should be rather than the full blooded full contact pugilism that you tend to see happen in some gyms nowadays (as Jompop points out in the opening introduction). You can see clearly that they can both spar for a good amount of time without really tiring, that neither one of them is getting hurt, and that they are both able to enjoy it.

If you can quite clearly see that then why does it need pointing out? While I can see your point from one side, I am not really so sure this really needs to be broken down and explained when it is clearly visibly represented.

Point noted however. I'll pass your feedback on to Jompop.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
  6. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Yeah...that's more like it.
    I spent the first 5 minutes waiting for him to stop and show some of the finer points and explain the conventions they were using.

7. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

Len Muay Or Chern Muay,thats how we spar 90% of the time,experienced fighters such as Jomop know after 2-300 fights that sparring like this will keep their eyes sharp,pad work 3 weeks before a fight will get the power and stamina up to speed,add bag work aprrox 300 kicks same with knees then 1 hour minimum clinch and the fighter is ready,no need to go hard in sparring when you fight as often as the Thais do:)

8. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Thanks for posting this, my old mma coach called this technical sparring, kept you sharp and you to try new things without the fear of getting knocked out, sparring ramped up during a fight camp but light technical sparring was the norm and the way you got to try new things and improve as a fighter