muay thai schools in memphis

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by 8limbs38112, Oct 13, 2013.

1. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

I'd also disagree that there are no stances, rules or techniques to master.

There's some fairly subtle stuff in there.

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I have a certain level of experience and qualifications that are uncommon but am no grandmaster

Your questions were hypotheticals - what you may overlook is that you just might be asking a question on theory to someone with experience in praxis

3. Dean Winchester

No it's not and not to the degree of the system, I'm thinking in particular of how uke is brain washed at times.

Also in your mind if that's any art then why are those four elements so important to the system?

They are, as I understand it, an integral part and the foundation of systema training.

So if they also apply to any other art then why bother with the one you are touting?

4. NCCombatives

NCCombatives Valued Member

I was responding to the original post of the thread which dealt with "real life" scenarios. My main point being Systema isn't designed to teach you techniques. Its designed to teach you how to train your natural instintcs which is what you fall back on during an altercation of any form. The problem people seem to have with it is the manner (slow) in which it is taught and trained.

5. NCCombatives

Understandable......I'm sure you have trained in many styles over the years. If you had to stand your ground are you gonna pull from your kickboxing or your JKD or your MMA or your Judo or whatever? You will end the threat with what your brain reacts to and tells your fist, elbow or leg to do.

I have 30 years experience myself. I have found that Systema gets you to a level of natural reaction quicker if you are NEW to any type of martial arts training for self defense. Just an opinion

6. Dean Winchester

It starts slow but once free flowing things soon speed up, it would be incorrect to think it is all slow. The problem is more to do with the mindset uke adapts when training.

Also I'd say it is problematic to drill people to move on contact, moving into space is fine but that space has to be safe and this won't always be the case.

SPEAR appears to address that far better with its flinch.

It doesn't train natural instincts, like any other system it drills you in the behaviours and movements that the founder feels is useful.

7. NCCombatives

Differing opinions I guess. It changed my philosophy 180 degrees. After 30 years training different styles I already had the instincts built in from working doors and security. But changing my approach (Systema) gave me a new perspective on many things.......

8. Hannibal

I pull from whatever is the most effecient technique at that given moment in time

The problem with relying on "natural" reactions is that they are structurally and conceptually far from optimal - one reason we still find teh freeze response under duress is because it is a primal instinct left over from when preadtors hunted on movement

The correct way to train is to gain a "natural unnaturalness" or "unnatural natrualness" - in other words a learned skill perfected to the point where it is instinctive. Themajority of the systema responses I have seen displayed against the blade will get you carved into pieces - as Karl Tanswell demonstrated very clearly indeed

I have been involved against a live blade in a legitimate encounter (unarmed) once and I used techniques and I prevailed. On the other occasions when a blade was mentioned or hinted at my Glock was in play and at the ready before I even called out

9. Dean Winchester

That's sort of what I was getting at.

As an auxiliary system I think it's not too bad as long as your critical thinking is switched on, I wouldn't send a complete n00b to it though.

10. NCCombatives

Since the original post is street reality / self defense related I will say this. Most altercations last less than 10 seconds which more than likely means a pre emptive strike. Systema striking is as good as it comes from day 1.

11. Hannibal

There is no credible demonstration or evidence of that claim

12. Hannibal

What do you do for HAOV?
    What coding system?
    What do you do for the 4 D's?
    What is the de-escalation strategies adovcated?
    What do you do for positive and negative adrenal triggers?
    What avoidance strategies do you teach?

Self Protection is NOT martial arts and vice versa

13. NCCombatives

Hannibal what do you mean it has never been shown to work against anything? That is really a stupid question. Its not a sport fighting system. Have you even been to a seminar held by any decent instructor? If you had this conversation wouldn't be as negative

14. Dean Winchester

They can put some oomph into you but no more than any other style I've come across, the hitting at odd angles is interesting but again you see similar stuff elsewhere.

I think there's some difference between the partner work done in class and how it's applied outside of class.

Again a few funky tricks to nick if you find it useful but no more, IMO.

15. Hannibal

In addition to my other qualifications and my job requirements I have trained extensively in ROSS so you aren't telling me anything I haven't heard or seen before - Systema is most certainly not a "hit hard from day one" deal any more than anything else and it is hyperbole to claim otherwise

16. Dean Winchester

It also takes some time to get the knack behind those strikes.

17. NCCombatives

Lots of styles offer good striking techniques. Not saying systema outpaces anything.....just as good as anything "I" have trained and much less harsh on the body with less effort

18. Dean Winchester

Yeah but you don't get whipped in most Dojo!

:D

19. NCCombatives

I gotcha man.....not interested in a ping pong match over something like this

20. Dean Winchester

The ukemi skills in systema are very good though. Once you get past some of the wet lettuce behaviour exhibited.