Muay thai links

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by Combatant, Sep 18, 2003.

1. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Whoa!!! ... and here I thought I was the "queen of links" ....

I crown you the King!

hmmm, King Khun Kao.... nice one!;)

BTW.... I did post one of your links recently referencing punch combos!

2. Jeff Burger

Jeff Burger Valued Member

Thai for king is Kasat

Jeff
    (Thai fight nic Jaroke Kasat / Crocodile King)

Jeff

3. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

It's a 'sticky'.

4. Khun Kao

Khun Kao Valued Member

Actually, crowning me "King Khun Kao" is a bit redundant. The name "Khun Kao" is a Thai phrase which loosely translates to "King of Knees".

(yes, I know that "khun" does is not normally used to denote "king", but in this instance, the Thai's translate it this way.)

Another word that can be used to denote "king" is "Prajao", which is a word that translates to meaning a cross between King and Lord.

Thus ends todays Thai language lesson....

5. Jeff Burger

Have you been to Thailand?

If so how did they feel about the word "king" in your nic?

I had a few people say that because Thailand is a kingdom its not a good idea.

Jeff

6. Khun Kao

Khun Kao Valued Member

I've never been to Thailand, unfortunately, but my nickname would not be considered offensive to anyone. There are MANY fighters who have shared my nickname over the years, including (amongst others) the great Diesel Noi.

Besides, a fighter does not (SHOULD NOT!) choose his own nickname. It is a name that should be EARNED! Your nickname is traditionally bestowed upon you by your instructor or your peers. My instructor, Master Kumron "K" Vaitayanonta, gave me the nickname "Khun Kao Charuad" which translates to "King of Rocket Knees" because I won the majority of my Muay Thai matches by my use of clinching straight knee attacks.

Brooks (Khun Kao)

7. Jeff Burger

I didnt pick my nic I got it in Thailand and it was given to me by 3 of coaches.

Jeff

8. Khun Kao

Khun Kao Valued Member

Jeff...

Do you know why you were given your nickname? What significance did it have?

9. Jeff Burger

Swadee Krab

Well not to brag but you asked why.
    I have a very good spin kick...its powerful and I set it up well.

Few if anyone was throwing any spins kicks except me.
    I was going to throw spins against these guys but the fact that no one was throwing them meant it would be a bit of a surprise and they wouldnt have a very developed defense for it.

I was also pretty intimidated going up against these guys so i felt I needed to be a bit bold....for them and for me.

I had 14 pro / am fights in Thailand and I threw spins in every match.
    Only 2 fights ended with because of the spin (1 close range side to the body and 1 hook just behind and below the ear) but I was getting some intimidated reactions from it.
    Sometimes I would just put it in there knowing I was a bit too far away to hit (and them to counter) just to keep it in their head that its coming.

Before I left I was teaching the teachers my variartions of spin kick (all are former champions).

Jeff
    "Jarokae Kasat"

10. Khun Kao

Khun Kao Valued Member

Cool deal! Our gym also occassionally trains with the lesser used techniques in Muay Thai like "Choraked Faad Hang". My current coach, Master Danny (Bumrung Prawatsrichai) is a big proponent of using some of these lesser used techniques for exactly the same reason that you do. If you are not used to seeing and reacting to these techniques consistantly, you are likely to be vulnerable to them.

Khun Kao

11. Dave Johnson

Dave Johnson New Member

12. Morik

Morik Well-Known Member Supporter MAP 2017 Gold Award

I like Sylvie's vlog, not sure if its been linked (did a quick scan by eye and didn't see it): 8Limbs.Us - Muay Thai Fighter/Journalist Sylvie von Duuglas-Ittu
    She has a ton of free content (including full videos of every one of her hundreds of fights), as well as some Patreon backed content (e.g., videos of full training sessions with famous Thai fighters).