Muay thai is defendless on streets

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by MsjFreak, Feb 8, 2015.

1. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Ease up a bit, he's only a youngster. We were all young once, and misunderstood things. If he sticks around he might learn something, so let's not hound him off.

2. Wildlings

Wildlings Baguette Jouster

With all due respect bodyshot, but you might be misunderstaning the meaning of troll :)

3. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I thought OP was a lady, by the screen name.

4. Wildlings

Wildlings Baguette Jouster

He isn't.

5. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Seconded. We know the OP is young and inexperienced. We all were at one point or another. We just had the benefit of not being able to broadcast that fact to the entire globe. You can take issue with points all day long. But leave the accusations out of it for the time being.

6. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

They're putting forth a position for it to undergo trial by fire.

A perfectly valid intellectual exercise.

The whole point of their post was to have a message to shoot, yet we have many in the thread completely missing that and aiming for the messenger.

7. David Harrison

PS. the above answers the OP.

Plus, don't stand square-on. I don't know why MsjFreak feels that leg checks are inneficient - they're far more efficient than bringing your hands down to protect low line attacks, and they protect you far more from low-high feints. However, if you are in an oblique stance, you don't have to move the knee very far at all, just enough so that the upper thigh blocks the attack path to the groin.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
  8. David Harrison

An efficient way to negate low line attacks, and an efficient way to get a fist in your face.

Whoever guesses which is which first gets a prize :)

Attached Files:

9. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

Kicks to the groin are still legal in Muay Thai(knees are a foul) the unwritten rule with Nak Muay is not to do them on each other especially Thai vs Thai,however sometimes The Thai will use them as this video shows,of course we do have a metal cup so it can hurt the foot hence this guy uses the teep to groin,If cups were not allowed MT would change again as sometimes we can be over daring leaving the groin open to attack when we kick especially to the body which is a big score in Modern Muay Thai,the stance and the method of kicking would probably go back to what it once was many years ago imho,by the way the Thais have a name for the groin kick "Tae Parmar" kick the Burmese (inthe balls) :)............[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iYjo-rJhtg"]Youssef Boughanem vs Kanongsuk Chuwattana - Max Muay Thai Championship final - 1st Febraury 2015 - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
  10. David Harrison

How have the stance and kicking method changed?

11. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

You know, in all the numerous times Ive been involved in violence no-one has ever tried to kick me in the groin.

12. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

just so you know, i derive great amusement in imagining you saying that with a sad expression and a tone of utter disappointment :p

13. FunnyBadger

FunnyBadger I love food :)

Come here then . . . :lowblow:

14. David Harrison

And in the 14 years I've been sparring full contact with groin targets allowed and no cup, I've never seen a groin kick connect with enough force to take the fight out of someone.

The only circumstance I could imagine myself using a groin kick would be a sucker kick to facilitate grappling or a strike to a primary target. In my experience, once the adrenaline is flowing the pain will be deferred till the fight is over and the adrenaline flow is stemmed.

15. Ben Gash CLF

LOL, well to be fair you'd have to do a dragon punch ;):p

16. Ben Gash CLF

Oh, in training I've needed ultrasounds

17. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I have kicked someone so hard in the pills they were still limping 4 hours later, but I can literally count on one hand the number of times I have done it.

The number of times I have chinned someone or choked them out I have lost count of......

18. David Harrison

I bet you learned your lesson though!

19. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

David In some regional styles the stance was more side on,in others the front foot was very light to facilitate lifting the leg,the groin kick as most other things was often use as a weakener(the groin col be kicked repeatedly if the opening there) and as a set up/follow up the other weapons:)

20. David Harrison

Exactly. It is a target with a less predictable outcome. Definitely not a primary target.

I've had a limp for an hour or so because of a groin shot, but I've never been dropped by one in sparring.

Taking someone by suprise works much better, but there's not many situations where sucker-kicking someone in the plums apropos of nothing would be appropriate...

...funny maybe, but not appropriate :D