Muay thai is defendless on streets

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by MsjFreak, Feb 8, 2015.

1. MsjFreak

MsjFreak New Member

Hello everyone,
    I've seen a bunch of muaythai videos on YouTube, something felt strange. I thought about searching for the art stances and basics.
    Well, after a bit of research it appears that muaythai doesn't have a proper defense techniques against groin attacks and such things. But if you look into other martrial arts such as traditional Japanese karate (seiboken Ryo) has a formidable stances and techniques against these kind of attacks.
    Feel free to argue and post your opinion :)
    Sincerely,
    MsjFreak

2. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

As far as i am aware, that is probably due to the steel cup being a mandatory piece of equipment, however, i'd say while Muay Thai might be lacking such a thing, you're looking at a sport that is based on traditional martial arts and comparing it to traditional martial arts, which is a flawed way to seek contrast.

3. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

So you're remarking that one style has groin-specific defenses and the other doesn't?

I think this concern comes out of this weird paradigm people have for martial arts where it's a matter of matching techniques against techniques. He throws a reverse punch, I use out-to-in block, etc. It doesn't generally work that way in sparring or, by extension, fighting. You could try and kick a muay thai fighter in the jumblies of course. Just bear in mind that, at the same time, he's going to be trying his level best to remove your head with his elbow. Best defense and all that.

4. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

Muay Thai has defence against inner thigh kicks like karate which can be used to simulate groin kicks like karate comps.

5. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Correct range is defense in itself

6. MsjFreak

MsjFreak New Member

Hello,
    You guys know exactly what I mean, muaythai is just a contestant sport. Alot of people considers muaythai as a street fight style (Which is obviously not).
    While others say that there is a piece of equipment to wear while combat, keep in mind you won't be wearing your gaurd all the time on streets ;)
    It's not just about groin, it's just about proving a point. That you CANNOT mix sports martial arts with traditional martial arts which are made for the use of war to begin with.
    Sincerely,

7. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

Which is like saying being in a highly realistic war simulation will not prepare you for war as well as traditional techniques with long intricate histories.

8. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

just so you know, the impression you give is that you do not know as nearly as much about martial arts or fighting as you seem to think you do :) (and may find some rather scathing replies directed at you because of it, so be ready). needless to say, i disagree with your statements rather strongly, but i'll cede the floor to others for the moment.

9. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

This^

And yes Muay Thai does have a defense against being kicked in the groin. It's called lifting your knee. It works similar to tan gerk or bong gerk in wing chun by cutting off the line. It's not complicated to apply and it's practiced as a kick defense daily in Muay Thai gyms.

10. Moi

Can we have a list of each?

Why do modern day combatives use sport based systems for self defense?

11. MsjFreak

MsjFreak New Member

Well, I've posted this thread to find these scathing replies. Because I really want to be proven wrong.
    When I wrote this thread I was looking at the matter objectively (I researched MuayThai because a recent MuayThai club near my area has opened). I wanted to learn shotokan but my age isn't accepted in the shotokan club in my area.
    so when the muaythai club began I found a new hope. Nonetheless I won't enter a martial art that I'm not conviced on. To be honest I don't see MuayThai as the beautiful art that I was hoping for, but there isn't any other choice. Moreover people say that they joined stuff they didn't like then eventually they became fond of it.
    Don't get it wrong. I strongly believe (at the moment) that muaythai is a sportive art that wont work in a real fight with no rules.

12. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

Well, what would make more sense to train in, a sport where you would be taught techniques to ensure the best outcome for you in combat for your physical makeup and natural abilities, or a martial art that teaches the same techniques to all practitioners?

13. MsjFreak

MsjFreak New Member

Lifting the knee doesn't always work, nor that effecient.
    Boxing, Muaythai, Modern wushu are sport based and they are not effecient on street due the fact that boxing doesn't focus on any foot attacks or lower attacks, Muaythai is the discussion of the thread anyway, and the modern wushu is just showing off, it's the gymanstic of martial arts ..

14. Moi

Can we have a link to this scary, kick-ass Krotty club?

15. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

Sorry to appear that i am hounding you, but what is your honest belief about what being attacked in the street would constitute? i get the impression you seem to feel that you'd need to have the abilities of some ancient warrior just to survive a mugging.

16. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Since you clearly arent here to learn, you are here to try and "enlighten" us this reply may fall on deaf ears but here goes....

Youre wrong.

Utterly and completely

Streetfights- whatever that means anyway - are decided on attributes and aggression as much as technique. To be abke to perform under pressure you must train under oressure and the majority of arts that do that have a "sport" paradigm. I pick a competitive framework fighter over a non competitor 99% of the time

Most common attack is a swinging punch. And who do tou think deals with punch defense more than any other system?

If all your art offers for self defense is a kick in the bollocks you have issues

17. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

No technique works for every instance. The fact it's used as a kick defense in Muay Thai, kickboxing, and MMA should show you how easy it is to apply and how effective it is at stopping powerful kicks.

Those three shouldn't even be in the same sentence together. You're comparing wushu to boxing and Muay Thai? Really?

Highly resistant training, learning to control distance, and good conditioning beats specialized anti-groin kick techniques any day of the week... and this is coming from someone whose style has concepts and techniques for dealing with groin kicks.

Karate doesn't have ground fighting. If we go on about what each arts doesn't have we'll be here all week. You know what karate does have? It has styles which do hard sparring. They are also the ones who can fight effectively.

18. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

How many years would you guess it's been since EITHER muay thai or karate were used on the battlefield? Was karate EVER used on the battlefield?

Both have a heritage in actual personal combat. But you've decided that the one has been diluted by time and rules but the other remains perfectly intact.

That's pretty unlikely.

How much actual experience do you have, out of curiosity? How long ago did you begin training?

19. MsjFreak

MsjFreak New Member

It's a local club, they don't have any website or anything, beside it's a kid-club so it wont be much of showing off.
    Well, basic Kickboxing abilities with defensive techniques to defend the sensitive areas. Nonetheless a martial art isn't just about that, it's an art after all :D

20. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

That to my mind would be much more easily learnt in a Muay Thai gym than a Shotokan dojo, as Muay Thai is essentially kickboxing with a much more advanced clinch system and the usage of elbows, which would provide you with more than enough abilities, while providing both tangible defenses and counter striking.