Muay Thai in Oxford

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by cityofangels, Aug 2, 2005.

1. CKava

CKava Just one more thing... Supporter

It's in my profile. I trained at the university club at SOAS under Luiz Tosta for about 2 years or so (Leopoldo Barbosa was also a teacher there for a year but he runs his own school under Pedro Bessa now). Officially I'm still organising the classes there for the uni but as I now live in Oxford I don't get down that much. Luiz is a black belt under Mario Reis and I am a lowly blue belt. Apart from that, before I started BJJ I did Thai Boxing for a couple of years and I've dabbled a little bit with Judo which is what I'm currently doing.

2. blondie666

blondie666 New Member

Just thought I would clear some things up for you , I train at OMAA and the prices are as follow:

once a week = £50 a month
    twice a week = £60 a month
    unlimited lessons per week = £75
    Saturdays are included in the prices above

Bit pricey but I think its well worth it and I really enjoy my training.

Hope this helps

3. daggers

daggers Valued Member

£50 a month for 1 session a week!!!!! bollox! does no one do it for the love any more??? dont telll me there isnt an old unit to let cheap to run good quality coaching from! who needs a state of the art gym? i train in a camp in thailand (orono por mungubons gym,that was) their barbell was 2 paint cans filled with cement, with a scaffold pole as the bar! still produced many champions!

4. CKava

CKava Just one more thing... Supporter

Thanks for the info blondie. Unfortunately it's a bit out of my price range but I do hear good things about the classes.

5. Bjj_666

Bjj_666 New Member

I also train at OMAA (bjj twice a week) and would just like to add that they also have other rates for students although i'm not a student so i'm not sure what they are. They also do a 12 session pass which i believe to be good value although again i'm not sure of the price so my input is probably only half usefull:rolleyes:
    While i agree that the prices are high i think it's worth remembering that this is a properly equipped gym with a 20ft ring in a premium spot in Oxford city centre, the rent won't pay itself!
    Also worth noting is that the quality of OMAA's classes is second to none and certanily the best in Oxford and surrounding areas. At the moment OMAA's instructors are: Muay thai: Tony Myers, Zvonomir Boban, Winston Fraser, Bonny van Oortmerssen and the odd session with Andre Mcintyre. Roger Gracie BJJ: Bruno Zancaner (brown belt under Roger Gracie) and occasionly Alex Faria (black belt under Roger Gracie).
    On the 16th January OMAA launch their MMA class with Mark Weir as the instructor.
    In the last few weeks they've run seminars with Gustavo Pires and Emil Zoraj.

Ckava, the first lesson is free and under no obligation, come down, try it and speak to them. I'm sure theres a program/price that will agree with you.

6. Bjj_666

Bjj_666 New Member

I'll also just add that for the record this was obviously when "master" Alemao was the muay thai instructor. He is no longer associated with OMAA due to him not being able to provide any evidence of his martial art credibilities or accomplishments. As a direct result it was ultimately his students that suffered.