Muay Thai Check-In

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by texas doc, Mar 9, 2006.

1. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Wow, good to have you here! Always good to have people with lots of knowledge around :D

2. Nibla

Nibla Valued Member

Gday, been training 4-5months over 18months with a couple breaks inbetween due to unrelated injuries. Getting stuck into it tho. Started at new gym and realising how little I know!
    Hoping to get good enough to have a fight before heading to Thailand later on in the year.

3. mlawrence

mlawrence New Member

Trained in Ju-Jitsu (Juko-Ryu) for 2 years then quit for several years in favour of the beer... realized I was growing in a roundly manner so started cardio style kickboxing at the local health club, realized I was learning nothing there so dedicated myself to a true art of a lifetime Muay Thai!

The wife seems to think I won't last 6 weeks!

4. Bassmonkey

Bassmonkey Formerly Cobalt60

Hi There,

My Names Lee im 27 (just turned egh) and have recently stared Muay Thai. Heres a little bit about moi:

I have trained in Lau Gar for around 3 years and due to class having shut down i have spent about 8 months looking for another kung fu class. After much nagging however i went to my step aunts fella's class (phew, that took some working out).

The Club is Sukhothai in Bournemouth. Instructors are Lorne Castle, graded under howard hughes and originally under the master sken system. My Aunt Denise Meller also teaches and she is the current WKA British champion (I think, not sure how upto date the website is)

Anywho, i had my first class last night, it hurt like hell and loved every minute of it! Looking forward to my abs healing from the several knees i received, hopefully in time for the next class anyway!!!

But yeah Hi everyone, nice to be here!

Lee

5. Nick Mandilas

Nick Mandilas Resistance is an option..

Hello everyone,
    I'm Nick. Many will know me as the pain in the butt from the ninjutsu threads but I have been taking Muay Thai class at BJC in Preston and thought I'd pop my head in and say hello!

Look forward to looking around, asking a million and one questions and getting to know many of you!

Cheers
    Nico

6. Timmy Boy

Timmy Boy Man on a Mission

Well I spent a good couple of years sitting around on my **** getting fat, but I got back into regular training with muay thai, been going for a few weeks and I'm loving it!

7. Stocky_Mike

Stocky_Mike Valued Member

Hi all

I have trained on and off in muay thai for years. About 2 months ago got back into it and am loving it again. I am from a bodybuilding background (not competitive) and have done a small amount of powerlifting too... I think I'm more suited to boxing, but i prefer thai, so I'm sticking with it.

8. kev pain

kev pain Valued Member

hiya im asistant instructor i train in muay thai in lancastrer i'v trained there for a year the club just a year old,before that i trained for 3 and a half years at smtc in edinurgh

9. Blast

Blast Valued Member

Hi guys,

I'm going to start muay thai tuesday. I'm going to do it once a week. I'm already doing aikido twice a week and am training aikido for 5 years now. I also train with nunchucks from the age of... I don't know, 6 or 7 or something (learned from my dad :p).

About muay thai (thaibox, it's the same thing right?)
    I called an instructor and he said training is like this:
    -7 minutes warm-up (rope skipping)
    -7 minutes stretching
    -7 minutes circuit training
    -thaibox
    -7 minutes circuit training
    a total of 90 minutes training.
    I asked him about sparring and this is done rarely, or not at all if you don't want to.
    I asked him about self defence and he said that every martial art has something and that thaibox is very complete.

You think this is a good place to train?

10. 1ToNJaB

1ToNJaB Valued Member

Hi, I'm new to Muay-Thai I always wanted to try this martial art and finally I found a decent place to train. I'm hoping to get some tips at this forum.

I have a little bit of a Martial arts background in Jun-Fans Jeet Kune Do, Aikido, basic kick-boxing and common sense.

11. redneil75

redneil75 Valued Member

hi all, the names neil. completely new to the whole world of martial arts. trained as a bodybuilder for the las decade on a 4 day split but looking to get into a more healthy fitness regime. so, about 2 weeks ago all my PEDs went in the bin and i started muay thai. need to completely change my diet and weights routine as well as picking up the muay thai stuff so a massive change for me!
    been to 3 classes and loved it all so far. back again on tuesday and thursday. need to shed some fat and alas some muscle. mainly across the shoulders, its just too heavy too carry about. breaks my heart to write that, lol. looking forward to getting to know you all.

12. Yakthai

Yakthai New Member

I recommend training Muay Thai at Thailand camp such as Fairtex, Por parmuk and Keawsumrit. I think you will get the best experience and technique in Thai camp

13. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Although I agree I feel it might be a little far away to make it 3 times a week.

14. redneil75

redneil75 Valued Member

yup im sure it would be the best way to go but i dont think my wife would like it, lol. especially with us trying for a baby, might make that a little tricky if im in thailand!

15. raging demon

raging demon Banned Banned

hi im new here its nice to meet fellow martial arts practioners on here hope to get to know you all :).

I practice Muay Thai and Muay Boran for 15yrs im from manchester, uk

16. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Just started up Muay Thai again. As some of you know, I practiced Kung Fu for the last 2 years, as well as Grappling, and BJJ. I left Kung Fu in order to pursue BJJ more.

I decided I needed to get my standup better, so I now train Muay Thai.

17. jh1

jh1 Valued Member

Well I have to say this is my first time in the Muay Thai forums. I have done Shotokan for 26 years, and BJJ for the last five. I have been teaching shotokan for the last ten years as well. I just recently decided to dive into muay thai, and as a matter of fact I am going to start tonight with Master Toddy.

18. AndyCTB

AndyCTB Valued Member

Hi, Just joined MAP. I train and coach Muay Thai right here in sunny Scotland. :)

19. Eclectic_Fist

Eclectic_Fist Valued Member

I've only been in my current school for about a month and a half, but I had previously taken it along with Tae Kwon Do and some kickboxing for two years. But that was several years ago. lol

The syllabus? I don't know it well yet. My instructor is certified under the Thai Boxing Association of the USA. So far the techniques aren't particularly out of the ordinary. Western Boxing is mixed in a bit from what I've noticed.

So far it's been great, and I feel I'm making some great progress. Definitely looking for bigger and better things.

20. evojm72

evojm72 Valued Member

Muay Thai Newbie

Hi all

I'm Matt and I've just started Muay Thai/Kickboxing in North Wales while taking a short break from jujitsu to improve my striking and fitness. Training with Mike Thomas in Holywell and just had my first session at Russ Williams gym in Caerwys on Wednesday. Great oldschool gym which smelled of blood, sweat and when I left, pain (mine!). Can't wait to get back there next week.

Always open to advice and training tips and hope this is the place to pick some up!

:cool: