MSM, my review and some info.

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Saved_in_Blood, Apr 24, 2013.

1. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

I just wanted to post my experiences with MSM. I've been big into supplements for a very long time, but MSM was never something I needed, i'm into I guess my second month using it and while my pain isn't gone it's definitely subsided. It needs time to get into your system and start to fully work, so be patient. The OTC stuff is complete junk though and very overpriced.

Of all of the reading i've done, taking the granules is the best way to go. They are quite bitter and disgusting, but hey, it works. Mix it with some orange juice and just keep mixing it as you drink. 1/3 tsp. = 1 gram. I take about 7-9 grams per day.

From what i've read, studies have been done with up to 70 grams a day. 20 grams isn't unheard of on a regular basis.

Other benefits I have read were help as an anti-aging supplement, cancer, inflammation among others.

My brother in law is on it for his left shoulder, as he has to work with his hands overhead all day long, but it's helped him a lot.

I know there's a lot of people here that have some issues with pain so I just thought i'd write my experiences.

5 lbs I think it's 35.00 or so. It's about 2200 grams so it'll last a while. I do encourage anyone to try it as it's much better than the standard pain meds that are pretty bad for the liver.

EDIT: I just saw i'm not supposed to post links that advertise, so just PM me if you're interested.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
  2. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

placebos? who knows?

Your experiences/anecdotes are interesting but from what I have seen/heard/read MSM doesn't seem to work any better than a placebo for many people. I don't think independent studies really support it's use as a supplement.

On the other hand , if you feel it helps and have the dosh to waste then why not :' )

I have seen research where opiate medications stop working because a person believes that the drip has been turned off when it hasn't been. Even the effects of a strong drug can be reversed if a person's mind believes that it isn't working. The power of the mind to make things happen is incredible.

Personally I like to think that if you do believe that something is working that it's best to send people to an independent site/person to buy them. That's just a carry over from the idea that health professionals should not have a conflict of interest when prescribing medications/appliances. Reviews count for a lot more when you have no potential to make a profit from them.

Thanks anyways for the review.

LFD

3. Saved_in_Blood

I've tried enough meds for my back and my shoulder to feel that it does work. Like any other supplement, it works for some, but not all. Part of the problem when people do take it IMO is the fact that it's full of fillers and junk and isn't pure at all. The pure stuff IMO does work.

For instance, i've used glucosamine which many swear by... it did nothing to help me. Either way though, you're welcome for the review :)

4. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Study links please.

And what conditions do you have? which you think MSM has helped?

5. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Seconded.

As someone who suffers chronic, frequently crippling, pain I'd be very interested. My liver takes enough of a bashing between pain meds and other drugs.

I'm very cautious of hippy nonsense.

6. Saved_in_Blood

I have 3 buldging discs, a crack in my spine, scoliosis, a misshappen shoulder (socket), tear in posterior deltoid, and osteoarthritis all on my right shoulder. I'm trying to hold off on getting surgery. I don't like the idea that it will likely never be the same again, but I don't have 2 months to have my arm in a sling since the surgery would require bone taken from my hip and put into my shoulder to stabilize it (glenoid osteotomy).

I just got my bloodwork back actually. I will be more than happy to post my liver and kidney numbers (though my kidney numbers are on the high to normal side because of a high protein diet).

From webmd:

MSM is used for chronic pain, osteoarthritis, joint inflammation, rheumatoid arthritis, osteoporosis, bursitis, tendonitis, tenosynovitis, musculoskeletal pain, muscle cramps, scleroderma, scar tissue, stretch marks, hair loss, wrinkles, protection against sun/wind burn, eye inflammation, oral hygiene, periodontal disease, wounds, cuts, and abrasions/accelerated wound healing. It is either taken by mouth or applied to the skin for these uses. You may have heard about MSM because of the book The Miracle of MSM: The Natural Solution for Pain. There isn’t much published scientific research to support its use.

MSM is also used for relief of allergies, chronic constipation, “sour stomach,” ulcers, a bowel disease called diverticulosis, premenstrual syndrome (PMS), mood elevation, obesity, poor circulation, high blood pressure, and high cholesterol. It is also used for type 2 diabetes, liver problems, Alzheimer’s disease, lung disorders including emphysema and pneumonia, chronic fatigue syndrome, autoimmune disorders (systemic lupus erythematous), HIV infection and AIDS, and cancer (breast cancer and colon cancer).

Other uses of MSM include eye inflammation, mucous membrane inflammation, temporomandibular joint (TMJ) problems, leg cramps, migraine, headaches, hangover, parasitic infections of the intestinal and urogenital tracts including Trichomonas vaginalis and Giardia, yeast infections, insect bites, radiation poisoning, and to boost the immune system.

MSM is also used to control snoring. In fact, directions for making MSM nose drops for snoring have been published, but there’s no evidence that MSM has any effect on snoring.

Contrary to some MSM promotional literature, there is no Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA) for MSM or sulfur, which it contains. Sulfur deficiency has not been described in the medical literature.

How does it work?

MSM might supply sulfur to make other chemicals in the body.

7. Saved_in_Blood

Code:
    GLUCOSE, SERUM

65 - 99

mg/dL

BUN

6 - 20

mg/dL

Creatinine

0.76 - 1.27

mg/dL

eGFR if non-African Am

>59

mL/min/1.73

eGFR If Africn Am

>59

mL/min/1.73

BUN/Creatinine Ratio

8 - 19

Sodium

134 - 144

mmol/L

Potassium

3.5 - 5.2

mmol/L

Chloride

97 - 108

mmol/L

CO2

20 - 32

mmol/L

Calcium

8.7 - 10.2

mg/dL

Total Protein

6.0 - 8.5

g/dL

Albumin

3.5 - 5.5

g/dL

Globulin, Total

1.5 - 4.5

g/dL

Albumin/Globulin Ratio

1.1 - 2.5

Total Bilirubin

0.0 - 1.2

mg/dL

Alkaline Phosphatase

25 - 150

IU/L

AST

0 - 40

IU/L

ALT

0 - 44

IU/L

8. Late for dinner

a couple independent reviews

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19474240

Abstract
    Dimethyl sulphoxide and methylsulfonylmethane are two related nutritional supplements used for symptomatic relief of osteoarthritis (OA)..... Current evidence suggests DMSO and MSM are not clinically effective in the reduction of pain in the treatment of OA....

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21403782

RESULTS:
    Two articles met the inclusion criteria. One study was found to have good quality but reported negative results for the supplemented group compared with placebo, the other study had low quality but reported significant positive results for the supplemented group when compared with a no intervention control group.
    CONCLUSION:
    There was little literature found to support the use of common nutritional supplements for spinal degeneration, making it difficult to determine whether clinicians should recommend them (Chiropractic college)

It was interesting that in one animal study that suggested MSM might help the cartilage the authors noted : intake of large amounts of MSM induced atrophy of several organs. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23011466

When there is no clear benefit from a product AND there is the risk of possible problems in other systems/areas of the body it makes it difficult to know what to think of this product.

OP your experiences sound positive. It is unfortunate that it's not always clear whether what one thinks is causing improvement is really the active agent or not.

LFD

9. Saved_in_Blood

lol, well if I was a retailer of the stuff, then I might sit here and argue over it... my only point was to give people the info I knew about it as well as how it has helped me. I, like Dean would prefer not to kill my liver with 800 mg ibuprofen or another pain med... my stomach with asprin, etc. If taking this nasty stuff helps me... I keep doing it.

It's about each person's experience. If you can tolerate the taste... I think 1 or 2 lbs is 20.00 or around that area. The worst thing that can happen is that it doesn't happen to work for that person, and at least they tried.

10. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

aspirin is from traditional healing...

11. Late for dinner

I understand your perspective Saved in blood but tbh if there is chance that organ atrophy is a side effect of taking this product then I would be hesitant to say that the worst that can happen is that it doesn't work.

LFD

12. Saved_in_Blood

asprin eats away the lining of the stomach the last I read... perhaps they have done more studies on it now.

13. Saved_in_Blood

Hey man that's cool, like I said, I was just putting my own experience with it to maybe help someone out.

14. Saved_in_Blood

I just managed to get back to this, but I did some looking around and I can find no complaints of any organ atrophy in humans.

Also from your same site:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16309928

Efficacy of methylsulfonylmethane (MSM) in osteoarthritis pain of the knee: a pilot clinical trial.

Kim LS, Axelrod LJ, Howard P, Buratovich N, Waters RF.

Source

Southwest College Research Institute, Southwest College of Naturopathic Medicine and Health Sciences, Tempe, AZ 85282, USA. l.kim@scnm.edu

Abstract

OBJECTIVE:

Osteoarthritis (OA) is the most common form of arthritis and the second most common cause of long-term disability among middle-aged and older adults in the United States. Methylsulfonylmethane (MSM) is a popular dietary supplement used as a single agent and in combination with other nutrients, and purported to be beneficial for arthritis. However, there is paucity of evidence to support the use of MSM.

METHODS:

A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial was conducted. Fifty men and women, 40-76 years of age with knee OA pain were enrolled in an outpatient medical center. Intervention was MSM 3g or placebo twice a day for 12 weeks (6g/day total). Outcomes included the Western Ontario and McMaster University Osteoarthritis Index visual analogue scale (WOMAC), patient and physician global assessments (disease status, response to therapy), and SF-36 (overall health-related quality of life).

RESULTS:

Compared to placebo, MSM produced significant decreases in WOMAC pain and physical function impairment (P<0.05). No notable changes were found in WOMAC stiffness and aggregated total symptoms scores. MSM also produced improvement in performing activities of daily living when compared to placebo on the SF-36 evaluation (P<0.05).

CONCLUSION:

MSM (3g twice a day) improved symptoms of pain and physical function during the short intervention without major adverse events. The benefits and safety of MSM in managing OA and long-term use cannot be confirmed from this pilot trial, but its potential clinical application is examined. Underlying mechanisms of action and need for further investigation of MSM are discussed.

15. Saved_in_Blood

http://www.pastoreformulations.com/v/vspfiles/assets/images/MSM.pdf

How effective is MSM in the treatment of pain?
    In a study conducted by the University of California School of Medicine in Los
    Angeles, patients who took 2,250 milligrams of MSM daily for six weeks reported
    an 80 percent reduction in arthritis symptoms.
    During many years of clinical use at Oregon Health Sciences University in
    Portland, researchers have documented a number of effects in case reports on
    hundreds of patients treated orally with more than two grams of MSM daily,
    including:
    • Inhibition of pain impulses along nerve fibers
    • Decreased inflammation
    • Increased blood supply
    • Reduction of muscle spasm
    • Softening of scar tissue
    Further study has indicated MSM can significantly reduce symptoms of
    degenerative arthritis in comparison to 2,400 mg. of Motrin. Eighty-two percent of
    participants receiving MSM in a double-blinded study reported better pain control
    within six weeks of starting treatment, while only 18 percent of participants
    receiving Motrin showed improvement.
    Exercise Induced Injury
    In an interesting study, twenty-four subjects that sustained athletic injuries
    received either a placebo or MSM in unmarked capsules in addition to routine
    chiropractic manipulation, ultrasound and muscle stimulation at each visit. At the
    conclusion of the study, patients on MSM reported a 58.3% reduction in
    symptoms, and had 3.25 visits for treatment, while patients on placebo reported
    a 33.3% reduction in pain, but had more visits for treatment to address their pain
    (5.25).
    Possible Chemoprotective Effect
    The Departments of Microbiology and Immunology and of Biochemistry,
    University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario, studied the possible
    chemopreventive effect of MSM on cell culture (murine eythroleukemia). It seems
    that MSM functioned similar to aspirin and induced differentiation by a
    cyclooxygenase independent mechanism and suggested that a common
    mechamism for chemopreventive action invoked by both agents might be the
    activation of gene functions leading to differentiation and thereby dismantling the
    cellular capacity for proliferation.
    Allergic Rhinitis
    In examining 50 subjects who had seasonal allergic rhinitis who completed a
    study, subjects consumed 2,600 mg per day of MSM orally for 30 days. By day
    seven, upper and total respiratory symptoms were reduced significantly. Lower
    respiratory symptoms were significantly improved from baseline by week 3. All
    respiratory improvements were maintained through the 30-day visit. Energy
    levels were increased significantly by day 14, and this continued through day 30.
    A study published in Clinical Drug Investigations found that the combination of
    glucosamine and MSM is more effective against osteoarthritis than either nutrient
    alone. Although the individual nutrients did improve pain and swelling in patients'
    affected joints, the combined therapy was more effective than MSM or
    glucosamine alone in reducing these symptoms and improving the function of
    joints. In the clinical trial 118 patients with mild to moderate osteoarthritis were
    treated three times daily with either 500 milligrams of glucosamine, 500
    milligrams of MSM, a combination of both, or an inactive placebo. After 12 weeks
    of treatment, the average pain score had fallen from 1.74 to 0.65 in the
    glucosamine-only group. In MSM-only participants, it fell from 1.53 to 0.74.
    However, in the combination group, it fell from 1.7 to 0.36. The researchers also
    found that the combination treatment had a faster effect on pain and
    inflammation compared to glucosamine alone. All of the treatments were well
    tolerated. Though I am a believer in glucosamine sulfate and routinely employ it
    in clinical practice, I think the dose of MSM in this study was quite low. A
    minimum of 2000 mg, twice daily seems to be more effective than a total dose of
    1500 mg daily.
    Snoring, Hair and Nails
    A small but interesting study at Oregon Health Sciences University focused on
    MSM’s effect on snoring. After four days of treatment, 80% of the subjects
    showed a significant reduction in snoring.
    In a small hair and nail study at Oregon Health Science University, nail growth
    improved and hair growth and appearance improved by week six.
    Summary from the New York Academy of Sciences
    Excerpts from the Annals of The New York Academy of Sciences Volume 411,
    summarized some interesting reports on MSM and reduction of allergic
    responses to foods and pollen, control of hyperacidity, reduction in the
    hypersensitivity to certain drugs such as aspirin, nonsteroidal antiarthritic agents,
    such as Motrin, Indocin and Naprosyn, control of constipation, reduced pain
    associated with systemic inflammatory disorders, and a review of in vitro and in
    vivo tests of MSM against various parasitic organisms.

16. Late for dinner

sales material

Saved in Blood, thanks for the information. Unfortunately the articles you have posted appear to be from someone that appears to have vested interests in selling/promoting MSM.

When you look at the actual articles it isn't that clear. There are only a few articles actually referenced in the pdf and they appear to be trade/promotional in their nature. It is very odd that the articles from traditional University sources are not referenced and there is no way to find out how accurate the information being provided is. I appreciate the attempt to show some positive comments on MSM but most of what you are showing amounts to here say without some form of referencing.

If you can find some better material to show that MSM actually does something (referenced studies that can be evaluated) I would be happy to take a look at them. I added a couple of comments (red) to the studies that I was able to look at from the references provided in the pdf you linked.

LFD