MSG Dangers

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Jack, May 26, 2004.

1. Jack

Jack Valued Member

2. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Yawn.

More "OMG WE ARE ALL GOING TO DIE BECAUSE THE FOOD INDUSTRY IS POISONING US" sensationalist, boring trawl. Take everything in moderation, and everyone will get along fine.

3. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

ah yes...the horrors of Mono Sodium Glutamate. I guess if you dont wanna eat anything that contains it, then your left with eating fruit n veg only (good for you if youre already a vegan)
    PS watch out for the chemicals that get pumped into their fertiliser that has names longer than the alphabet.
    but then again theres sugar (diabetes) then theres salt (heart problems).
    I remember about 6 years ago (or so) an American scientist claims that rice causes cancer. Then had to re-evaluate when us orientals werent extinct yet.

In all seriousness tho, MSG can be harmful if too much is placed into the food (and you can taste it too, itll basically make u dry heave). As said above, moderation and you'll be fine.

4. sean

sean THOR!

Obesity is caused by having no self control, I turn on my TV in the morning, see an American chat show with some very over weight Americans on there blaiming Glangelor, depression, the food corperations, McDonalds and such. This is just ANOTHER fat guy shifting the blame.

"The Campbell's soups, the Hostess Doritos, the Lays flavored potato chips, Top Ramen, Betty Crocker Hamburger Helper, Heinz canned gravy, Swanson frozen prepared meals, Kraft salad dressings," so... they comprise a list of pre packed meals, sealed foods and call it 'almost EVERYTHING'. I do not touch half of this putrid ready food. Maybe if people wernt so damn lasy and cooked food that isnt pre-cooked or such. But one part of the Website was correct, that there is a massive obesity epidemic and it wont go away by shifting the blame or taking law suits out on food suppliers.

-Sean

5. Ad McG

Well said Sean. Most of the sources mentiond are pre-packaged or fast food. If people weren't lazy/suckers/don't know any better, then they would be better off cooking real food and eating such things on occasion.

6. sean

sean THOR!

I realise that when I typed this I was in a bit of a hyperactive mood and may of been a bit harsh, so sorry if this offended anyone. But I still stick to my guns and do not take back anything. :)

-Sean

7. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned Banned

That gun I saw in the gun shop will kill me too if I point it at my head and pull the trigger. Does it mean I'll do it? Maybe later, but not now.

It's odd, for some reason, I all the stuff everybody else eats, yet I don't get obese. Maybe it's because I don't eat much junk food, and maybe it's because when I feel full, but not yet stuffed, I still stop eating. Again, maybe.

You also have other countries of the world which eat the exact same stuff we eat, and they aren't obese.

PL

8. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

I don't eat junk, I eat sensibly, and I'm still "overweight". It won't budge up or down, no matter what I eat healthy, which is very annoying.

Anyway.. MSG... there was a chinese takeaway near where I work, and they didn't use any MSG (or so they said) and the food was just as good.

Doesn't MSG make you want to eat more too though?

9. Stealth

Stealth New Member

I say we overthrow the corrupt food industry and start eating more rice

10. sean

sean THOR!

The 'corrupt food industry' also supply the rice :(

-Sean

11. MiyamotoMusashi

MiyamotoMusashi Valued Member

Hey Guys,

I wrote a paper on MSG for a chem class once and I found that all the studies on MSG at that time were giving the mice HUGE amounts of the stuff before they saw any cancerous results. Basically, you would never be able to eat enough MSG in food to come close to levels they were giving the mice to cause cancer.

12. sean

sean THOR!

From Google i`ve learnt that the chinease have on average about a 25% higher rate of colon cancer than anywhere else in the world. This is also apparently from MSG.

Who knows!

But there is a difference between the human body and the body of a mouse. I dont think anyone would want to inject themselves with high amounts of MSG though :p

-Sean

13. MiyamotoMusashi

MiyamotoMusashi Valued Member

Thanks for the reply sean. Your right about there being a difference between mice and men. But at the time I wrote the a paper ( a "little" while ago ;) ) I could not find any human studies. As for the fact that the chinese have higher colon cancer rates I doubt that they have been able to prove that this is directly linked to MSG. Also, a lot of the complaints that I read about MSG had to do with some sydrome or another, I forget what they were calling it. But, supposedly after eating a food with MSG people got hot flashes, dry mouth, and a headache. I fed the stuff to my class for a couple of days ( on peanuts) and at least in that tiny unscientific test no one had any adverse effects. I did have a control group however, where I just used salt.

14. Ad McG

Umami is the 5th taste bud on the tongue, discovered not too long ago, and it is solely stimulated by glutamate. A lot of food critics prefer stimulation of this taste bud to the others, hence why it is put in food. I wouldn't recommend taking a lot, but I just hate all these people who are going "OMG OMG AVOID AT ALL COSTS OR THE WORLD WILL EXPLODE!"

15. sean

sean THOR!

I rarley eat takeaway from the British Chinease food places because it isnt actually anything like what Chinease actually eat, apart from the names of the food. But about 3 weeks ago I ate one and in the morning I had an imense pain in my glands of my throat and chest, after a day or two it went and i was fine, maybe caused by MSG?

On a different note, has anyone read about the pill that costs 50 Pence over the counter which is intended to lower colestorol but is found to decrease prostate cancer by 50%? Aparently it destroys the cancer cells, maybe the beginning of the first real cure for cancer, lets hope anyway.

-Sean