MS Word Problem

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Jabby Mcgee, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Jabby Mcgee

Jabby Mcgee Valued Member

I find myself more and more having to write technical reports on MS Word 2010 at the moment, and as such, I often have to include many figures in my reports. As I want the report to look neat, I like to wrap text around the image. However, nine time out of ten when I do so, the caption for the image tends to become wrapped alongside the image too, instead of staying beneath it. Does anybody know how I can anchor the caption so that it doesn't wrap alongsiide the image along with the other text that I hope to include?

For an idea of what I mean, please see the atatched image. You will notice that I am unable to wrao text around the caption itself, as the caption is being treated as text, and not as a box, if that makes sense?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  2. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

How are you inserting the caption?

Mitch

3. Jabby Mcgee

I'll either right click on the image and click Insert Caption, and set it so that it appears below the image, or I'll insert one from the references tab. It's weird, because sometimes, the caption is inserted and it has a transparent box around it, which anchors to the image and doesn't wrap as text. But nine times out of ten, this doesn't happen.

4. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

It's not something I've really played with so there may be a better method, but a quick fix would be to insert a text box and then insert the image into that. Caption the image as normal from there and set the wrapping of the text box as required. This gets Word to treat the image and caption as one thing and wrap your text around it.

I can't see a way of doing it automatically at first glance, though someone else may know.

Mitch

5. Jabby Mcgee

Aha! I've sorted it now. I had tried what you suggested before, but I was being a bit of a mug. Now I've just coppied the caption text into a text box and made the outline of the box white. Cheers!