Movies with FMA's

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by EmptyHandGuy, Feb 7, 2009.

1. BakbakanFighter

BakbakanFighter Valued Member

I loved it!

2. LabanB

LabanB Valued Member

Re: Taken

Arnie's "Commando", but done good.

The difference, of course, is that when Arnie threatens to kill someone, you know he is too nice to really do it.

When Neeson threatens to kill someone...you just wait for him to do it!!!!

Bill

Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  3. BakbakanFighter

Im confused, much as I love arnie, he isnt a martial artist and I am pretty sure he has killed quite a few people in his films....

4. LabanB

LabanB Valued Member

Arnie's kill rate!

Hi Graham, yep Arnie certainly has killed a lot of people in his films.

But, when he "threatens" to kill, it just isn't as threatening as when Liam does it.

Bill

5. BakbakanFighter

Ah I see and you are quite right, its all fluffy when the BIG A does it, when Liam does it I actually ***** my pants!

6. Dave Joyce

Dave Joyce Valued Member

When I was at one of the Sayoc Sama Sama's a couple of years ago, Tuhon Tom Kier introduced me to Jim Jacks (producer of the Hunted, Raising Arizona, Usual Suspects and all the Mummy movies) and he was talking to me about Liam Neeson and how highly he rated him as an actor BUT thought he was much better playing a menacing type of role and which he thought we'ed only got glimpses of, up to that stage. Although I haven't seen Taken....yet!, from what I've heard, he seems to have give Mr Jacks something to enjoy:cool:

7. MaxG

MaxG Valued Member

There is a movie called Exposure that was released nearly 20 years ago. Supposedly only about 1/4 of the movie has Filipino MA in it but from what I've read of reviews it has the best Filipino MA fight scenes ever released in cinema. You can buy it only used VHS now. I have been waiting years for it to be released on DVD. It was released by HBO Home Video and every 6 months or so I send a request to HBO for a DVD transfer. No luck so far. Maybe if we get a few thousand people sending in a request... (crosses fingers)

The movie.

Amazon.com: Exposure [VHS]: Peter Coyote, Tchéky Karyo, Amanda Pays, Raul Cortez, Giulia Gam, Eduardo Conde, René Ruiz, Tonico Pereira, Miguel Ángel Fuentes, Cássia Kiss, Iza Do Eirado, Tony Tornado, Eduardo Waddington, Alvaro Freire, Maria Alves, Peté Marchetti, Katia Bronstein, Conny Renny, Silvia De Carvalho, Don Marco Maguila, Walter Salles: Video

Link to where I send my request in every few months...

http://www.hbo.com/apps/submitinfo/contactus/submit.do?title=Video/DVD&questiontype=video

8. vismitananda

vismitananda Valued Member

Was the Matrix Series used FMA arts?

9. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Nope. Choreographed by HK legend Yuen Wo Ping.

10. vismitananda

vismitananda Valued Member

Oh I see. I just thought I've seen some of FMA. But actually Yuen Wo Ping is a legend man.

11. progdan

progdan Valued Member

I might be wrong, but I think I noticed a short section of Eskrima by Angelina Jolie in 'Tomb Raider: The Cradle Of Life'. I can't remember exactly, but I'm pretty sure she is using a pair of burnt rattan sticks whilst practicing at her mansion against a friend with a burnt rattan staff... :thinking:

I'm pretty sure the majority of Bourne is Krav Maga (I've also heard it said by someone that it is Jeet Kune Do, not sure about that though), but I reckon he may be using some FMA at various points. KM and FMA compliment each other fairly well in any case.

I read about that movie in an article in a MA magazine we have here in Australia. Rob actually was trained directly by Nino Pilla (www.ninopilla.com) who is a local instructor, his training facility is literally a 5 minute walk from where I work in town. He was trained by Dan Inosanto and yeah Inosanto makes a cool little cameo.

12. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

You are correct, sir. She's sparring with staves with her servant (the guy who played Rimmer on Red Dwarf). He breaks her staff in two, so she proceeds to go after him with double stick. Whether it was specifically FMA, I couldn't say. It wasn't smooth enough or filmed well enough to really say, I didn't think. Didn't look particularly like FMA to me.

I know that Wikipedia isn't the greatest source, but:

Jeff Imada would substantiate the JKD/eskrima connection.

Stuart

13. progdan

progdan Valued Member

Well there ya go, cheers for that. :) In Cradle Of Life, I just noticed that their sticks looked exactly like the ones I'd just purchased for Eskrima, so thought that it was probably somehow associated...

I suppose JKD and KM could get a little confused as they're both basically following the same principle, the fastest, most efficient movement of the closest, most effective weapon... Cool movies either way. :cool:

14. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

No worries. You're right. In the movie, they were using rattan poles (sibat or, as they called them in our Doce Pares school, kawayan). Of course, anyone who's worked with rattan knows that a rattan staff would never snap in two like that. It would eventually fray, buckle, and finally snap. But not like that.

But I'm not going to debate the realism of Tomb Raider. That way lies madness. :)

Oh sure. I've made the comparison before. I raised the ire of a krav maga exponent in doing so. But that's another story.

Stuart

15. progdan

progdan Valued Member

Indeed, not an advisable course of action...

haha that's quite humerous. I do Krav Maga, but I don't know that I'd be too upset with that comparison, better being compared to something highly useful and efficient, than being compared to something which everyone accuses of being next to useless in a real life context... The techniques might have differences, but the tactical mindset seems very similar, which shouldn't be surprising since both methods claim to be using only the most direct and logical path "Closest weapon-closest target". That, and Eskrima fits in well with either. :)

16. JaxMMA

JaxMMA Feeling lucky, punk?

Why do so many people (specially KM practitioners) claim that Bourne movies use Krav Maga? Even Jeff Imada says when you watch the DVD extras that it's actually Pekiti Tirsia - Kali

17. progdan

progdan Valued Member

We were just discussing that, regarding the similarities for KM, JKD and how they both fit very nicely with FMA.

I was told it was Krav Maga. I believed it, to be honest I haven't watched it since doing Martial Arts anyway, so I wouldn't have had a clue. I now know he's using FMA and JKD courtesy of Jeff Imada. But I can see how peope could think either. We were using 'pens' and 'teaspoons' as weapons this very morning!

And its certainly fun to be able to say a cool action movie is using your Martial Art, especially when people ask what you do:

"I do Krav Maga"
    "What's that? Never heard of it..."
    "It's what Jason Bourne is doing in the Bourne movies!"
    "Oh, heaps cool, that's awesome!"

Unfortunately that particular bubble has been burst for the moment... haha

Now I'll have to take up JKD so I can still say I do what Bourne is doing... :p

18. Heston

Heston New Member

Hello,

I been trying to find that video where Imada says he uses Pekiti Tirsia Kali in the Bourne movies. The only video I can find he says its Philippino Kali. Can you tell me where in DVD extras where he says this. I will check again.

19. progdan

progdan Valued Member

I recently got the box set with all 3 movies and the extras, watched all the movies, now just gotta watch all the extras, looking forward to hearing Jeff Imada talk about it. :)

20. blindside

blindside Valued Member

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XCCFBNV--o"]YouTube - How to Fight Like Jason Bourne with Jeff Imada[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17xgMvfFsv4"]YouTube - THE BOURNE SUPREMACY [SOME KALI STUFF CHOREOGRAPH][/ame]