movies that move you

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by aikiMac, Jan 17, 2007.

1. Ciar2001

Ciar2001 New Member Supporter

not seen Babel yet, but once it comes out on dvd here i will give it a whirl :)

2. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Magnolia was good. Crash reminded me a bit of that. Great storytelling.

3. Sandus

Sandus Moved Himself On

Most films deal in allegories. If you get the feeling that Americans are being hammered in a film, then they probably are. The only real exception is comedies, which usually deal in individuals, but I can think of a few of those with pretty strong social commentary too.

4. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

"Rita, sue and bob too" - was very moving...or is that disturbing!?

5. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Any film which casts bleeding Lancastrians in the role of Yorkshire people is disturbing! :bang:

But it's a very funny film - and I like spotting familiar locations in it! :D

6. HappyT

HappyT Valued Member

I love Patch Adams, Armagedon (It makes me cry every time! :cry: )....oh there are SO many...

7. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

:eek: :eek: :eek: Oh the insult!!!!

8. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Actually Su, I've nothing against Lancastrians really. They can't help it.

What gets up my nose is the feeling that the muppets who cast these films are too ignorant and/or lazy to bother to get it right. It's as if they think that no-one can tell the difference. :bang:

9. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

I know what you mean. It is infuriating and can essentially ruin a whole film!

10. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

101 Rekjavik, not a huge amount happens,but it's great anyway and quite moving,well the lead character was anyway.It moved me in a strange way.
    I really enjoyed listening to a film in Icelandic too ,kept forgetting to read the subtitles though.

Farewell My Concubine. Moves me every time I watch it.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2007
  11. Sandus

Sandus Moved Himself On

If you like that, look for To Live, from Zhang Yimou. It's my favorite of his films and has a similar feel (though in my opinion it's the better film).

12. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Have just added it to my Lovefilm rental list,but it hasn't been released yet! :)

13. MA_Angel

MA_Angel New Member

The movie Beloved was really touching to me. Love seemed to be the only thing that kept Sethe's family together throughout the film and in the end, love was also what tore it apart. If you haven't seen this one yet, I would definetly recommend it. :Angel:

14. 2E0WHN

2E0WHN Valued Member

If anyone watches this episode of Quantum Leap called Jimmy, that is one episode that has you cheering at the end. As Scott Bakula leaps into a retarded boy in the 60's, he has to prevent Jimmy for messing up and gain acceptance in his brothers workplace. His friend Al tells of the characters story of his sister who was put into a home. When Al turned 16 he went back to find her only to be told she had died of a disease aged 21. All the way through the episode it is a uphill battle for Jimmy, his family and everyone around him. It is one of the stories that I would say that moved me in a way that I just was glad that it had a happy ending.

http://www.tv.com/quantum-leap/jimmy/episode/60500/summary.html?tag=ep_list;title;7
    Films:

Silent Hill
    The Crow
    Leon
    Chronicles of Narnia (a good film)
    LOTR: Two towers (when the trees attack and the fight from Gandalf on the third sunrise)
    Akira
    Warriors
    V for Vendetta
    Neverending story

There will be others, but those are some.

15. Bahng Uh Ki

Bahng Uh Ki Valued Member

That one was weird. The performance by the young woman who had been the small child.... errie. Yes, very touching. I'm not sure I'll ever understand it. But touched, yes.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2007
  16. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

The Deer Hunter.

Just caught a little bit, whilst having dinner it was playing. I'd forgotten about this one.. such a powerful and moving film.

17. Cait

Cait da Bionic is BACK!

A Good Life

just watched it tonight.. excellent movie. some really funny bits, too!

18. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

that title reminds me of
    Vita รจ bella, La

aka "Life Is Beautiful"

excellent war film about a father who uses his imagination to make the whole concentration camp seem like a game to his kid.

also very sad :(

19. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Ahh yes, very moving film indeed. :cry:

20. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

On Saturday I watched 'The Killing Fields' again (because the DVD was free with a certain national newspaper.)

A very moving film, based closely on a true story - and very topical once again, given what is happening in Iraq.