Mouthguard training, partials and eyeglasses

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by Rmjim, May 28, 2017.

1. Rmjim

Rmjim Member

If you don't know by now I trained in BJJ for a short time (maybe a month) over a year ago.

Now I'm moving and the opportunities abound (bigger city, more choices, time).

My newest question is..do you guys train with mouthguards? Some guys did at my old gym, some didn't.

I have also got a partial on the bottom of my mouth which cost a lot of money and I don't want to train in fear of it getting broken or knocked out.

Does anyone train with their eyeglasses on? At the old gym

I would have to put them on to see the technique, find a place to stow them real quick and then practice/roll.

Wash rinse repeat.

If I do decide to take out my partial (if I ever decide on the right gym at my new location) I'm thinking of wearing a bite and boil, even though ive only got 4 teeth left on the bottom I don't want to lose them! LOL

What yalls take on this? OH and not to be TMI but I ALWAYS have worn a cup in every martial sport ive been in. Ive heard some bjj guys don't like it but it never came up at my old gym the short time I was there.

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2017
  2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

You mean partial denchers? I think it would be personal preference for wearing a gumshield.

As for BJJ. Quite a few people wear cups and you definitely wouldn't be out of place. Just be aware if you ever compete that under IBJJF rules they are illegal. Also make sure it's a compression cup and not a strap or Muay Thai steel cup. It needs to be close to you st all times.

3. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

I wear a mouthguard, get a fitted one, especially if youve got teeth missing.

Cup etc is down to personal preferrence, dont be a douche with it during armbars etc

Glasses can get broken, its always down to preference, but just moving closer during demos works for me.

ps funny soaps are a waste of money, antidandruff shampoos work far more effectively, and are much cheaper.

4. Pretty In Pink

Also, I wear contact lenses, zero problems.

5. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Just last Wednesday I got a knee to the mouth while rolling, so I took that as necessary reminder for wearing my mouthguard :eek: :D
    Got myself a crack on the inside of my lip and some nice blue on the outside :rolleyes:

So, right now I'm on the plus-side for mouthguard ;)
    The crack doesn't bother me, to be honest, but the noise my teeth made when ramming against each other, had me worried a second.

As for glasses: I only needed them for a while and could see nearly normal anyway, but if contact lenses aren't an option, there are sport-glasses; flexible and not too easy to damage.
    Someone in my old club used to wear them; but there was no randori. I can imagine, that they are a pain during rolling.

6. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

when is started bjj years ago i was fully kitted out with headgear, mouthguard, knee and elbow pads and a cup. now, i don't use any of it.

i think it's just down to personal preference. the thing about the cup is it can be uncomfortable for you, the wearer.

7. Archibald

Archibald A little koala

I got a bunch of my teeth broken during Judo a while ago so I always wear a mouthguard now when I grapple - it seems to be about 50/50 with people wearing mouthguards or no.

8. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

It can be uncomfortable to the other as well ;)
    I was in Juji-Gatame as Uke during a seminar, and my teacher actually had gotten loose a little, because he was explaining - but his cup still had hurt the arm a bit :D

9. Vince Millett

Vince Millett Haec manus inimica tyrannis MAP 2017 Gold Award

Mouthguard? - heck,yes. Stray knee or elbow can catch you anytime. I've smacked myself in the mouth with my own knee more than once! I use a fairly cheap ""boil and bite" but if you have the money, pay for a fitted one.

My eyesight is incredibly bad. My first few months involved "see the technique, find a place to stow them (glasses) real quick and then practice/roll".

This became too impractical so I investigated contact lenses and I've used them for three years now. I was given a try-out pair and that night's BJJ session was, by co-incidence, the first and only time in my entire life I got poked in the eye! The lens didn't move so I was able to report back that they had been thoroughly field tested.

I only use them for BJJ because they don't quite work for everyday life with my complex prescription. Definitely the right thing to do, though, as now I can concentrate properly on the instruction.

10. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

i think this is why in ibjjf rule, there is no cup-wearing allowed.

11. Morik

Morik Well-Known Member Supporter MAP 2017 Gold Award

Mouthguard: I occasionally wear one... I really should be wearing it all the time though.

Cup: I don't wear one in BJJ--I find it gets in the way too often/makes some positions too uncomfortable for me on top.

Glasses: I take mine off. It is kind of annoying as my vision is pretty bad, but I just cannot grapple with glasses on.
    (I take them off for other martial arts too, as once I start sweating good they are kind of hard to keep on anyway.)
    I am unable to wear contacts.

Last edited: May 30, 2017
  12. Pretty In Pink

Why can't you wear contacts?

13. Morik

Morik Well-Known Member Supporter MAP 2017 Gold Award

Three reasons:
    - I have a thingie (I forget the medical name for it) on one of my eyes... a little bit sticking up off the surface. It often gets red and irritated, and this is more problematic with contacts.
    - My eyes seem prone to drying out quite easily with contacts on.

Those two are annoyances, not deal-breakers.
    The biggest reason is that there is prism in my prescription, and that can't be replicated on contacts.

14. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Yeah, I thought the same, when I learned that they're forbidden with them.
    It at least would make a bit sense, to forbid them for those reasons, I think.

15. Vince Millett

Vince Millett Haec manus inimica tyrannis MAP 2017 Gold Award

I have prisms in mine. I was told all my life that they couldn't do lenses for my prescription. When I started BJJ and later went for my next eye test, I mentioned it and they said that the technology has moved on. It might be feasible. Tried a test pair and then got some properly prescribed lenses and have never looked back (no pun intended...).

However, I don't expect my contacts to give me the same vision I have with glasses, only that they're better than being almost totally unable to see which i would be otherwise. One eye is pretty good, one remains a little blurry. To read, I would still need some reading glasses on top but as I only use them for BJJ, that is not an issue.