mounted or guard?

Discussion in 'Judo' started by kano junior, Apr 10, 2005.

1. GojuKJoe

GojuKJoe Valued Member

Oh, ok, sorry! :D

2. kano junior

kano junior Uchi-Monster!!

thanks guys, interesting ideas!

i'll try to put some into practice. :bang:

3. GB_Ronin

GB_Ronin Valued Member

Of course the better position is to be in Tate Shiho Gatame, compared to what you're all calling the guard, because when you're already in Tate Shiho Gatame, (and providing the referee has called "Oseakomi" ), then the clock counting your hold down is ticking.

But here I couldn't disagree more when Haduken says :
    as some lighter judoka who have a hard time staying on top with Tate Shiho Gatame because of a great difference in weight, and some heavier judoka through choice, can easily dominate from underneath with all types of arm locks and strangles (with the exception of Hadaka Jime perhaps).

However I thoroughly agree when he says :
    because in Randori that starts with standing techniques, or in competition, you can never guarantee the position from which you'll begin the groundwork, but you can work on getting into your favourite position from any groundwork starting position, be it from on top or underneath.

Of course that's just my opinion :)

4. Stabilo

Stabilo New Member

I personally hate being in guard, but I know a LOT of judoka who have tremendous control from guard. A lot of old judoka will say that guard is the better position, as when uke has to pass through the legs there are many ways to armlock or choke.

In mount, as has been said, it is more difficult to do on a larger person, and you could get rolled over. The side position is better than mount. Mount is good for BJJ or JKD.

But if you can defeat the guard and have mount, then you have tate-shiho-gatame... And yes juji-gatame is a good one to use from many instances.

Many judoka will call the turtle position undesirable, and in other martial arts it is, but in judo I find I have a lot of available moves from there, personally.

5. Kimura

Kimura New Member

i think they are both good the mount is good if u have good a base and now good submissions. but the gaurd u have four limbs (arms+legs) to use for submissions while your opponent has two(arms). and not to mention u have a heap of submissions and techniques that u can use from the gaurd. but both are good in my book.

6. ivica

ivica New Member

Just a small addition:

As someone already said, mount position is already "osae komi waza" so tate shiho gatame (mount position) is better in judo than guard - which is "nothing" :) When in tate shiho, performing tsukkomi jime is great. Try that. Also, morote (eri) jime works. One "dirty" technique: just put your arms around his head, hold it like a mother would hld a baby on her brests, and squeeze his head, by pressing his face and nse against your chest. Hurts very much and my opponents always tap out. It would be forbidden in judo if referee sees you (I am even a referee, so I know what my colleagues do), but as a matter a fact, there are no specific rules that say so, to be quite honest!