mounted or guard?

Discussion in 'Judo' started by kano junior, Apr 10, 2005.

1. kano junior

kano junior Uchi-Monster!!

Guys, i was just wondering in judo which is the better position to get into and also what arm locks/chokes can be done from it? :confused:

2. Captain_Coward

Captain_Coward Ne-Waza Worm

mounted.
    Far stronger position you never really wanna be on your back if you can help it.
    K

3. kano junior

any ideas on the strongest moves? i find gyaku juji jime and kata juji jime hard to get into and ude garame doesnt work for me that often.
    a judoka in need of help here!!

4. Captain_Coward

yeh, i am not a big fan of either gyaku or kata juji jime, you need a big strength advantage to pull them off. I have had a lot of success with Hadaka Jime using the modified turkish version, very strong, recently won a comp using it on someone far bigger, you just need to worm your arm under their chin and there is no escape.

As for Kansetsu-Waza, Ude-garami is a real toughy, unless you can distract them it is very easy to see its coming, however if you can get it on it is a very effective tecnique, you just need the right situation.
    I still tend to favour juji-gatame, probably too much, but the fact that you can get it on from so many different positions and the speed with which you can apply it, makes it real useful. Just be careful not to over use it.

K

5. kano junior

Thanks Captain, i'll try to put those into practice. :)

6. redbull

redbull New Member

The mount position in judo is consered a pin, if u can hold u'r opponent there for 25 seconds then u win.

in judo if you hang out in guard for too long the stand u back up.

7. GojuKJoe

GojuKJoe Valued Member

I usually end up in the gaurd position, and try to get a juji gatame on. I'd still like to start trying other positions, but so far, it's worked ok for me.

8. Haduken

Haduken Valued Member

the mount is a far stronger position from a reality based point of view - guard is simply making good a bad situation (so very important to practice) - as far as subs go - sooo many from the mount - but personally i find that a simple arm bar is very effective - just usually needs to be set up with another sub, like a gi choke of summin, unless your opponent is very unexperienced

9. GojuKJoe

GojuKJoe Valued Member

I actually used the gi choke to armbar trick from the gaurd position in my grading. I think it depends on who you're fighting. If you're fighting someone bigger and stronger, you don't want to be in the gaurd position, because you'll get pinned, but if the person is smaller, or equal size and strength, you can afford to go to your back (if you want to). Personally, so far, i've been better at submissions from my back.

10. fanatical

fanatical Cool crow

I'm basically lighter than everyone I can possibly find at my height, and so I have to comment. One thing is the mount always being a better position. But being a feather, it's hell to get to mount if your opponent outweighs you. Even with only the playful rolling us noobs do, I find I am almost completely unable to get mount on a bigger person. I can slip to sidecontrol, but getting to mount is definately not my strong side, partly due to my size and weight.

So as a smaller person I usually despite my will end up in guard. I also feel that if I'm ever going to have any chance in competitions or at all :p heh, I'll have to train harder on opportunities in the guard, than from mount. Even though mounting is the number one priority. The point I'm trying to get across is that the mount is priority #1, but this doesn't mean small people will have any benefit focusing too much on it, when from my limited experience, that's not where I'll be spending most of my time.

11. Linguo

Linguo Valued Member

Interesting. Didn't Helio Gracie develop his guard techniques because of the fact that he was usually much smaller than his opponents?

12. faster than you

faster than you Valued Member

the mount is a stronger position, but as said earlier if you are considerably lighter than your opponent then you will probably be bucked off unless your are considerably more skilled. i'm much lighter than most of my rolling partners as aresult my guard submissions have developed more quickly than their's.

13. Captain_Coward

This discussion is a bit side-tracked, Ideally you do not want to be in the "mount", you want to be off to the side of your Uke, controlling his body while using the ground for stability or applying shime-waza or kansetsu-waza.
    Getting bucked off really isn't an issue, you shouldn't be in that position. there are far stronger Osae-komi positions to be in.

K

14. faster than you

faster than you Valued Member

the mount is more dominant than the side control as the mount allows for more submissions. i'm ignoarant to the meaning of osae-komi as i come from bjjland rather than the republic of judo.

15. Captain_Coward

Exactly speaking from a Judo background which forum this thread is in, being to the side is better. I would say being in a mounted position as opposed to a guard one would still be stronger from a judo point of view, but really it is not a position you would ever stay in for long.

K

Osae-Komi is a hold down or More correctly Osae-waza i believe

16. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Osae Komi is the refs call 'Holds on'.

Osae Waza would be 'Hold technique'.

So K, you don't think Tate Shiho Gatame is effective as Osae Waza? ;)

Attached Files:

17. Captain_Coward

Not really, You don't have the same ratio of weight on opponent, to weight in contact with the ground, If you look at it like a moments problem i think you will understand what i mean.

K

18. Captain_Coward

Thats not to say it doesn't work just that i think there are better position you could ideally be in.

K

19. GojuKJoe

GojuKJoe Valued Member

Yeah, for you, maybe the mount is the best position, but at the minute, I can get more submissions on from the gaurd, so I prefer that. It's simply a matter of finding what works best for you.

20. Captain_Coward

i am talking about tate-shiho gatame in the above post joe.

k