Motorized 2 wheel vehicle recommendation

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Sackett, Jul 2, 2009.

1. Sackett

Sackett Valued Member

Ok. So almost the worst things has happened. I've decided to buy my mom's car. So, basically, that means I am becoming my mother. :bang:Yeah, yeah. It's a "fine" car. It will get me to work and back, professional enough, comfortable. But way too middle aged! And way too my mother. (To be fair, she's trading up to a bmw convertible, so she is kind of cool.)

Anyway, the point is that I'm thinking of feeding my independent and rebellious streak with some kind of bike or scooter. I am, in fact, a mother of two so don't have a suicide wish of any type (not mostly anyway ;)). I'm not looking to go zooming in and out of traffic or race the teenage boys. I'll wear a sensible helmet and appropriate gear.

I am looking for something comfortablish that will fuel efficiently get me back and forth the 30 or so highway miles between me and work. Oh and something I can drive through the back roads of the Berkshires on the occasional sunny weekend. And, finally, something my husband can borrow when he feels the need to not have the kids in the back of his mini-van. Something fun and different and just a little bit shocking. :cool:

Any ideas?

2. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

What bikes have you ridden before Molly?

Do you have preferences for cruisers, sportsbikes, scooters or what?

What sort of budget do you have?

You're quite tall aren't you? 5'9"?

Mitch
    Performance Naked Bike:
    [​IMG]

Nonsense Fast:
    [​IMG]

Cool Retro Cafe Racer:
    [​IMG]

3. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Are they both yours Mitch?

4. Mitch

The top pic is me having fun at Donington on my last bike, which I sold to make way for the RC8 in the middle pic.

The Cafe Racer is something I'll build one day when I have the time and cash :)

Mitch

5. AndyT

AndyT Valued Member

Mitch,

The RC8 looks sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!! What's it like?

I've had blades for many years, but now got a Speed Triple 1050 and loving it :)

All the best,

Andy

6. Mitch

The RC8 is so incredibly capable it makes up for even my riding inadequacies :D

The 1050 was on my list when I bought the SuperDuke, the SD just edged it for me. Both good fun though :)

@Sackett: You might want to look at a CB500 or SV650 Molly, both good mid sized bikes which are friendly but capable enough that you wont get bored quickly.

The bruises in my thighs have come up nicely btw:eek:

Mitch

7. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

CB500's are canny first bikes. A lot of bike schools use them (or at least everyone round here did) and can be great fun according to someone who's just flogged one.

8. Moi

I know someone who's thinking of selling his 500-600 bike. He's almost never ridden it and it only has a couple of thousand miles on it even though it's a few years old. Spent a fortune with add-ons.

9. AndyT

AndyT Valued Member

Something that may last a little longer from a fun factor point of view is a Honda CB600 Hornet, nice bikes. Personally I think Honda CRB600’s are a great mid range bike, very forgiving and provide ton’s of fun :)

All the best,

Andy

10. AndyT

AndyT Valued Member

Do tell... what bike is it?

All the best,

Andy

11. Moi

It's a blue one!:confused:

12. Moi

Suzuki GSXR600 K3 in red, white and blue (looks blue to me) 4000miles with a paddock stand, silly lights, yoshimura exhaust.

13. AndyT

AndyT Valued Member

Very nice!!!! Sweet bike..... a lot of fun can be had with one of those, but I wouldn't recommend it as a first mid-size bike unless you've been riding for a while.

Sackett: how long have you been riding bikes for, and is this is first mid-sized bike you'll be getting?

The GSXR600 should tick the box 'And, finally, something my husband can borrow when he feels the need to not have the kids in the back of his mini-van. Something fun and different and just a little bit shocking.' if tricked out a bit i.e. Yoshi can and 'silly' lights :)

All the best,

Andy

14. Moi

If the husband is tall and thin even better. Matching everything. Leathers, weather gear, helmet - everything

15. Sackett

Sackett Valued Member

I'm so glad to be of assistance. Have you seen Rob's black eye? And I couldn't straighten my arm until yesterday. :cool:

WRT the GSX, part of getting my mom's car is cause we're moving back to the states a week from Wednesday. :( :cry: :( I'll have to get whatever I get there.

My husband had a small Honda of some sort years ago. The starter didn't work so we had to kick start it. I played around with it until it fell over on top of me when I was trying to get it going. I was home alone and trapped until I summoned my super-hero strength. Anyway, it scared me enough I have ridden since. So definitely a new rider.

I sort of like the looks of the cb500. And a description of the hornet sounds charming.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to do some basic research to understand this world a bit more. I can't even guess what a yoshimura exhaust is. :confused:

16. Mitch

Bikes are made to meet emission and noise regulations, usually via an exhaust restricted by both a catalytic convertor and noise deadening packing. Any right-minded rider instantly chucks away the standard silencer of his exhaust and replaces it with one designed for racing, which is lighter, louder, lets the bike develop more horsepower, is louder, looks cooler and is louder.

Yoshimura is one manufacturer of such lightweight exotic-metal based bits of biking bling :D

[​IMG]

Mitch

17. Moi

Did you mention it's louder?

18. Mitch

Pardon?

Mitch

High fives Moi, you set 'em up, I'll knock 'em down :D

19. Sackett

Sackett Valued Member

Gotcha. I hate loud motorcycles. Except that the noise is a safety feature warning of their approach so I forgive them. Do you really have to sacrifice power if you don't want it to be loud?

20. Mitch

I actually don't have a loud pipe on mine, partly because they only come as a full system (not just the silencer) and therefore cost £2k+, but also because I got a bit more sociable in my dotage and stopped actually enjoying setting off the neighbours car alarms whenever I started the bike up. Means I don't get stopped so often either :)

Loud bikes are a strange dichotomy; they are annoying and anti-social, but at the same time nothing sounds better than a bike on full chat.

Mitch