Motorcycle Enthusiasts

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Athleng Nordic, Apr 26, 2005.

1. rigsville

rigsville Shukokai Karate

An interesting Harley Davidson statistic:

Did everyone know that over 95% of the bikes HD have ever made are still on the road?

The other 5% made it home ;)

And this is from a Triumph owner (the words pot and kettle spring to mind)

<Rig lights the blue touch paper and runs away>

2. Colin Linz

Colin Linz Valued Member

Our emission standards are quite easy compared to you guys. Most bikes don’t have catalytic converters here yet. When it comes to reliability it's hard to go past the Japanese bikes, especially their engines, they seem to be bullet proof.

3. Athleng Nordic

Athleng Nordic Sadly passed away. RIP. Supporter

Don't know why those bikes are falling apart. In all the time I've owned HD's the only problems I've had is a couple of flats and a lack of power crossing the Rockies, and that always happens. I do my own oil changes and maintainance, well I have others put the new rubber on them.

4. Colin Linz

Colin Linz Valued Member

What, only the Rockies! :D

The truth is I don't know if they are unreliable or not. I just find it amusing that they have a breakdown van. I do believe that the Japanese build a far superior bike to HD, but they can't compare to the esprit de corps that HD has developed, I think this is their true achievement as a company.

5. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

No, what Harley has done in master the art of marketing.

6. oldshadow

oldshadow Valued Member

Well I went and picked up my new bike this week a 05 Fatboy in the only color for a HD, black. Started to get the break in going. Man I love it. The summer is on the way and a new bike, life is great. :D :D :D

7. Athleng Nordic

:D

8. Athleng Nordic

I really love and hate the rain at the same time. Rain rides are fun, but driving to work during the rain with all of the spray kicked up by other motorist. Not fun at all.

9. Colin Linz

Colin Linz Valued Member

I hate the rain. I used to ride all the time, now I only ride when the conditions are good. Wet roads are just too unpredictable. I like riding in a sporting manner, and if I can’t then I don’t bother. Bikes are purely for fun for me now; I’ll leave the commuting to our little Hyundai. It uses bugger all fuel, the tyres last forever, I can listen to music and it has Air-conditioning. Yes it is boring, but then commuting on anything is boring.

10. Athleng Nordic

Figured this was better posted here...

A mechanic was removing a cylinder head from the motor of a Harley motorcycle when he spotted a well-known heart surgeon in his shop. The surgeon was there waiting for the service manager to come take a look at his bike when the mechanic shouted across the garage, "Hey Doc, can I ask you a question?" The surgeon, a bit surprised, walked over to where the mechanic was working on the motorcycle.

The mechanic straightened up, wiped his hands on a rag and asked, "So Doc, look at this engine. I open its heart, take the valves out, repair any damage, and then put them back in, and when I finish, it works just like new. So how come I get such a small salary and you get the really big bucks, when you and I are doing basically the same work?" The surgeon paused, smiled and leaned over, and whispered to the mechanic. "Try doing it with the engine running."

11. sean

sean THOR!

I`ve never seen this post before so i`ll add my 2 cents.
    Have grown up with motorbikes with my dad and his brothers all riding them and my mum riding.Im 17 and passed my test about 5 months ago, and currently riding a Japanese Import, Bros 400 Honda and love it.
    I ride everyday to college and to work. I would ride to Training but I havnt got a big enough bag for all the pads. :)

12. Athleng Nordic

Just wear them then! :D

13. Kris x

Kris x :-p

I want it.:love:
    Mine.:p
    I WANT IT.:yeleyes:

14. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

My ex-wife thinks I'm bonkers for getting my sons a scooter. Jeez it can go almost 30. :rolleyes:

15. RFWright

RFWright New Member

A few of my ladies...
    99 Vmax
    95 ZX9R
    75 Z1 900

Attached Files:

16. hux

hux ya, whatever.

Vstrom is my baby :)

I was reading some of the posts about HD - true that HD has not only mastered but redefined the art of marketing for those willing to pay attention. You either love or hate HD, both sides feed the brand ;)

we call em "tractors" where I live....but I don't have anything against 'em...if ya ride ya ride, more power to ya :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 17, 2005
  17. Athleng Nordic

Why do you call'em tractors?

18. Colin Linz

Colin Linz Valued Member

Because they are big, heavy and have the sort of power that is needed for pulling out tree stumps.

Because the technology they use can best be described as agricultural. :D

19. Athleng Nordic

:rolleyes: :D Ah well I'll paint mine green and slap JD on the side then.

20. hux

hux ya, whatever.

aw, come on, you know why we call 'em tractors...it's more a term of endearment for me, though.

:D