Motivation... need help

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Jack, Jul 24, 2002.

1. Jack

Jack Valued Member

I am having some problems with being motivated for TKD. I entered the martial arts a while ago I think for fitness, or simple because it was a cool thing to do, I really had no clue about the martial arts or which one was right for me etc.. I enjoyed it and started training seriously, I think possibly as some naive fantasy about following the tradition of the masters of old. I think what I really want is fitness, not to be a great martial artist. I mean my motivation is not there much. Maybe it's because my school seems to revolve around gradings and sparring, and not defence or spiritual developement, or maybe it's because I only ever entered for fitness which I now understand I can get from other sources.

I don't know what I want right now, I am not motivated to train TKD at the moment - either because my school focuses on sparring and frequent gradings, or because I would rather hit the gym for exercise. Just working out to be muscled, buff, cut or whatever would be nice but also seems like it lacks in spirituality a bit, but my school is not satisfying my desire for the spiritual practice of the martial arts.

Any ideas what I can do to determine what I want out my life, or what I can do?

No 'take a week off and you'll feel ready to continue' posts please, I have thought these things several times throughout my studies and have taken weeks off before, it never really got my motivation together.

2. stump

stump Supersub

Have you spoken to your instructor about this? If they're worth their salt they'll be very glad to listen to you and come try to come up with a solution....after all most people in your position just leave!!!

Maybe their brand of TKD is not for you? MAybe a different art would suit you better? That's up to you to answer. But try talking to your instructor if you feel you can before you do anything else.

Another thing may be if you can to try and cross-train in another art aswell as TKD.

Hope some of those suggestions are of some use. Hope you find the motivation you're looking for,

all the best

Colin

3. Chazz

Chazz Keepin it kickin TKD style

I agree with Colin. There are many different types of TKD styles and instructors you can choose from. Go around and look at some other schools. You should be able to find one the bestsfits your needs and you should be able to move your current rank over to the new school.

If you cant find a different TKD school, try to look for a style that offers what you want. then either take both or choose one over the other.

Talk to your fellow students as well as your instructor. Together they schould be able to try to keep you motivated.

Try to stick it out, it may take some times to find what you are looking for, but when you do you will be happy with yourself.

Hope i was a help!

4. fluffydoc

fluffydoc Carry On MAPper

Is it just your TKD that you've lost motivation for? If you're dissatisfied with the rest of your life maybe you're just focussing on it as something that's easier to change than what's really the problem? Obviously just sheer speculation but hell, it's my job...

5. Jack

Jack Valued Member

Thank you all for the replies.

I think the problem may be my school. It is not easier to remove, I think I was subconsciously looking for other explanations because I wanted to leave my TKD school before and my dad shouted to me that I was a quitter, and I wanted to avoid that situation arising again so I looked for other reasons.

It is either my school or my involvement in the martial arts that I am dissatisfied with. Either way means leaving my current school.

6. Chazz

Well good luck and i hope that you find what you are looking for. Keep us posted on what happens.

7. Thomas Vince

Thomas Vince New Member

Jack,
    Without reading any of the other posts I wanted to comment and then I will go back and read the others comments.

You are at the crossroads. Many students who become disillusioned with their arts pass through this. It is a spiritual thing, it a mental thing and it is a physical thing and only you can answer the questions.

The teacher should have a way of motivating you to continue learning and practicing. I guess I never left Parkers Kenpo because it always challenged me, physically, mentally and spiritually. It never ceased to interest me in anyway. But there was a time after I had been studying for over 16 years that I was completely burned out and I walked away from the ma's for an entire year! I felt cheated in a way and felt I should have more to show for all that hard work.
    I realized that I was spiritually bankrupt and found myself on the door of a Buddhist Temple. I was able to rediscover me. I became clear in my goals and got determined to become more than I was. I began to set effective goals and a definate path. But I knew what I wanted!

You know many times in the martial arts we get into expecting certain things and when those things are met or exceeded we fail to see the rest of the path. Most of the time it is because we treated martial arts like that new video game, or the remote controlled airplane, and after awhile we just get tired of playing with the toy. If we treat martial arts like a toy eventually we will tire of it because we no longer get the satisfaction from it we used to get and it goes on the shelf to collect dust. "Martial Arts" should be a part of your everyday life, like grooming, bathing, eating, taking out the trash, going to work, loving your spouse, taking care of your children, and so on. If it is truly a part of your everyday life it will last a lifetime.
    Good Luck Jack, I hope you find your answers.

8. Chazz

This isnt my thread but i have to say thomas that as motivated i am you always seem to put another spark into things. I know who to talk to when i need some help.

9. Thomas Vince

Thomas Vince New Member

Thank you Chazz, we all need help every now and then, I to have to work on self motivation every day becaus there are things I have to do that I don't always want to do. Thanks again Chazz!

10. Sweeet

Sweeet Valued Member

Jack,

I certainly hope I'm not stepping on any toes by saying this but - perhaps TKD as a sport isn't the best art for you? In my opinion, it is generally not very interesting relative to other arts, not excessively practical for self defense (compared to other arts) and once again, as you pointed out - lacks the spiritual aspect that you appreciate. Perhaps you would enjoy another art. If you can't work something out with your instructor, I would recommend you take some time off, research various arts and the dojos that are available and perhaps you will find something better suited to your personality and ability. Of course this is an extremely biased opinion, but an art that I appreciate and I feel is very well rounded and interesting is Hapkido. If you have the opportunity, check it out! Good luck.

Sweeet.

11. Jack

Jack Valued Member

Thank you all for the replies.

Thomas Vince - Thanks for taking the time to write such a long answer. However, I must have been at the crossroads on and off for the past six months, if that is even what I was experiencing.

Sweet - You're not stepping on toes, I agree. I've since realised it was my TKD dojang I was displeased with and am planning to stop, and look around for something else that may please me.

12. morphus

morphus Doobrey

Problems?

If you took up martial arts for fitness purposes its very posible that after practicing for a while you are now asking your self how would i apply some of the techniques in a street self defence situation(and perhaps not finding a satisfactory answer); the art you re doing may not be the one for you for this very reason(of coarse i may be miles off the mark) so maybe you should look for a more street orientated art? Just my thoughts?????????????????????????????????????????????????:D

Last edited: Jul 29, 2002