Most popular style of kung fu in your town?

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by master x, Jul 4, 2022.

1. master x

master x New Member

We have tons of shaolin sifus in my town.

2. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

Shaolin is a very broad term. What particular styles?

3. master x

master x New Member

They usually say Northern shaolin.

4. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

Are the schools all part of the sane franchise/association?

5. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

Probably Wing Chun....and there aren't that many of those by comparison to other non-Chinese styles

6. master x

master x New Member

No they are run by different Sifus and Masters. Its just coincidental that its mostly Northern Shaolin style. The other 10 percent happens to be either wing chun or Hung Gar.

7. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

I can't say there is a single kungfu/style that has the majority in my town/area. A lot of different styles, usually 1 location/club per style.

8. Flying Crane

Flying Crane Well-Known Member

I’m gonna guess that most small cities and towns have zero kung fu schools, and for the most part, only bigger cities are likely to have several. I suspect the data may be limited.

9. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

The most popular style of Kung fu is taekwondo.
    White crane kung fu/Monk fist boxing -> Karate - > Taekwondo :)

SWC Sifu Ben, Mitch and Dan Bian like this.
  10. master x

master x New Member

Wouldn't it technically be Tang Soo Do?

11. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I don't think tang soo do (korean shotokan basically) is nearly as popular as TKD?
    Although they are both korean versions of japanese karate, which is a version of Okinawan karate, which was a version of southern chinese kung fu.
    It's a complex picture. :)

12. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Okinawan systems are much more a synthesis of indigenous practices with various Chinese systems,so not "a" particular version of CMA.
    Not all southern CMA either,as some Hsing I filtered in to some systems at some (more relatively) recent point.

TKD however aside from its kicking has no discernible/traceable descent from any former Korean systems despite the propaganda one oftimes reads/is told. ----You know this,so this was just info for our gentle readers.

13. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Outside of Jun Fan/JKD the only CMA in my area anymore-and I mean even pre covid-was a Pa Kua school. There's a Modern Wu Shu club at the uni.

Well,there was/is Shaolin-Do, and another guy whose depth of study in his CMA I'm unsure of. He did create his own style and belonged to those HOF/Soke groups we're all so fond of. I suppose that counts for something.:rolleyes: His school is no longer MA ,just "health & wellness" stuff.

Obviously I'm not counting T'ai Chi groups in the area as none do anything 'cept slo-mo exercise.

14. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Oh aye...agreed. My tongue was firmly in my cheek when talking about these various lineages. :)
    One thing I'd like to see is how much of those kung fu influences have made it through into karate/TKD.

15. master x

master x New Member

I cant disagree more!

The Tang Soo Do I trained was a mix of karate and Taekwondo. The bouncing, the spin kicks, the switching + classic karate techniques. I say this as a person who is currently training in pure taekwondo. The style of Tang Soo Do I learned was very TKD heavy.

16. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Which style of TKD do you study?

Tang Soo Do uses many Shotokan Karate kata I believe? Naihanchi etc? This is where ITF TKD started, before developing its own Tul and replacing the karate kata.

So the generally accepted development, clouded by much muddied water along the way, is Shotokan into Tang Soo Do, TSD into ITF TKD, then WT TKD. TSD, and even early ITF TKD were often referred to as Korean Karate.

17. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

There are a lot of martial arts schools in the city I live in. And lots of Kung Fu schools specifically. Can't say one is dominant. However, we do have at least three different well established lineages of Choy Li Fut in the greater San Diego area.

Lots of Tai Chi in all styles here as well.

18. master x

master x New Member

I am currently training with a WTF teacher who is also versed in Hapkido. I have had karate experience and so we are mixing it up. I am learning on a private setting and so its a different curriculum than regular taekwondo. Historically speaking, there was 9 Tang Soo Do dojangs or Kwans. They all taught it differently until the unifications happened and it was renamed to taekwondo.

19. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I don't think you can really count all the Kwans as Tang Soo Do, they didn't identify as such as I remember? In any case TSD is essentially Shotokan with a few tweaks, they share many kata. ITF TKD continues the tweaking and develops its own patterns for political/nationalistic reasons (though the roots are obvious), WTF goes even further after the General leaves and the Korean Govt needed to take control of TKD for political/nationalistic reasons.

Anyway, good luck with your training :)

20. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

So what you're saying is TKD is just bad Wing Chun :D