Most Mentioned MAist on MAP

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Wynnston, Mar 17, 2005.

?

Most Mentioned MAist on MAP

1. Someone not on this list

5 vote(s)
    4.8%
  2. A MAP member (post name)

6 vote(s)
    5.7%
  3. Dan Inosanto

2 vote(s)
    1.9%
  4. Mike Tyson

4 vote(s)
    3.8%
  5. A Shaolin Monk (post name :-))

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  6. Wanderlei Silva

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  7. A Gracie (post name)

7 vote(s)
    6.7%
  8. Sergei Golubitsky

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  9. Jackie Chan

5 vote(s)
    4.8%
  10. Baruuuuuuce Lee

74 vote(s)
    70.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Wynnston

Wynnston Member

Alrighty, I'm intrigued as to which martial artist (dead or alive) gets the most mentions in posts on MAP. The mentions can be complimentary or otherwise and they can be from any MA or the entertainment industry as long as they have practiced at least one MA.

My number one Most Mentioned MAist on MAP has to be Bruce Lee :rolleyes:

Anyone got any other their potential number ones to add?

2. wayofthedragon

wayofthedragon The Defender

This is a tough one. I would have to say Bruce Lee...some one is always mentioning Bruce Lee in some way or another in the threads. However Dan Inosanto, someone in the Gracie family, Jackie Chan and lately Mike Tyson all get mentions here from time to time on a regular basis. I'm not sure I've seen any of the other names much if any

3. mr_vodka

mr_vodka New Member

I vote Mike for one simple reason... each Ikken's post mentions Mike Tyson :)

4. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Unfortunately its probably Brucie.....

5. shaolin_hendrix

shaolin_hendrix Hooray for Zoidberg!

Why is that unfortunate?

6. Wynnston

Wynnston Member

I think Bruce gets most mentions because has become a demigod in the minds of many for a number of reasons, some good some not so good.

1. He was an intelligent man, passionate about MA's who had some ground breaking ideas about modifying martial arts and removing the strictures of system A vs system B.

2. He was one of the first to generate genuine interest in Hollywood in 'real' martial arts and his films were far more realistic than what went before and a lot of what has come after.

3. He looked and was supremely fit and could preserve his physique and skills on film which a lot of equally capable martial artists have not been able to do so well.

4. Because he's on film a lot of people are exposed to him relatively early in their lives and by the process of imprinting, they'll probably always remember him and associate him with martial arts.

5. He died early with some ambiguity as to the causes which adds to the mystique and allows a cult status to spring up - whether warranted or not.

6. Because he's not around any more he can't tarnish his own image by saying or doing anything to upset or disappoint people.

BTW I slipped in Golubitsky because he's a fencer, one of the very best in foil, but I doubt he's got any other mentions apart from this one :D

7. Melanie

Melanie Bend the rules somewhat.. Supporter

Its easily Frank Dux that has had more of a mention on MAP. :)

8. Wynnston

Wynnston Member

Aye he's well worth a mention but does he actually get more mentions than Bruce? Even if he does, Bruce seems to get the high profile hence the runaway poll in his favour at the moment.

9. Melanie

Melanie Bend the rules somewhat.. Supporter

He may not have had as many mentions per se, but I can bet ya that any threads with his name (Frank Dux) has had more viewings! :)

10. Brad Ellin

Brad Ellin Baba

Yoda's got my vote. He's probably the most mentioned yet least "well known" outside of MAP. (Brownnose? Who, me?)

11. morphus

morphus Doobrey

I voted Bruce - cos it prob is, but the most mentioned MAPer has to Yoda i should think.

12. gaz shaw

gaz shaw New Member

its definatly Bruce

13. And how many people have bruce lee as their avatar?

How many people on here idolise bruce lee?

Visit the health and fitness forum "I want Bruce Lee's body etc etc"

:Angel:

14. Lucharaan

Lucharaan New Member

Rickson Gracie~

15. Paratus

Paratus aka Mr. Rue

Bruce Lee, simple as that. Do a search, and watch the hundreds (dare I say thousands? :D) of threads that pop up

16. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

Ahh you took my answer.

So I change my answer to Rick Tews.

but really the answer is Bruce Lee, whoever he was. Some kindof ex- wing chun guy who thought he knew it all?? :eek: just kidding!!!

17. d33pthought

d33pthought New Member

Do we honestly need to know the obvious? The sheer number of Bluce Ree quotes in signatures alone should make the answer clear. That said, General Choi would be a close third or fourth, I think.

18. Wynnston

Wynnston Member

Well quite, but

a. It's a bit of a laugh :D
    b. I wanted to see by how much he was in front.
    c. I was really more interested in the placings behind him although that wasn't stated. Looks like there is no clear contender for second although the Gracie clan maybe edging it.

19. Jayevan79

Jayevan79 New Member

Where I come from, people started to think Martial Arts at the height of the popularity of Bruce Lee. Not only did he encourage young ones and young once to try MA, he may have actually brought about the different styles and combination of styles which eventually led to the popularity of FMA.

20. Iai-do master

Iai-do master New Member

most fam. shalin monk is bodurma!