Most injury prone grappling art

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by EdiSco, Jul 3, 2018.

1. EdiSco

EdiSco Likes his anonymity

Hey all.

BJJ, Wrestling or Judo??

Just wondering what the most injury prone grappling art is? I thought about doing BJJ but the nature of the art makes me think it's basically signing your death warrnt i.e. broken major joints are a matter of when not if?

Is wrestling the safest? or Judo?

Thank you

2. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Train in any of em and you'll know?

axelb likes this.
  3. hewho

hewho Valued Member

Probably depends on your own, and your clubs, attitude towards training. Where I roll No-Gi, the instructor asks if there are any injuries, and we all ask at the start of each round. If someone wants to roll light, then you roll light. In gi training I've seen a couple of bust fingers from bad grips, but again had a positive experience injury wise (Judo at school, JJJ). No one I know from training has broken anything major while training, and lots of them train 5 nights a week at various clubs including BJJ

EdiSco likes this.
  4. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

If you train in an effective manner you'll pick up injuries along the way at some point. The reality of gym culture is, "if I go to X club, will I be more likely to be injured?"

If you train at a nice gym with nice people, injuries happen less. You're also far less likely to be injured by rolling with higher level people. Purple belts and above will go much easier on you than another white belt.

And no, it's not like you will get injuries every other day. They are quite rare all in all if you train smart.

If I had to pick an art that was more likely to injure then I'd have to say judo because it involves a lot of straight legs vs twisting bodies and randori is always scary.

Mitch and axelb like this.
  5. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

it depends on what level you plan to push yourself to, and can vary from club to club.

Judo competitively have a lot of randori work which stops once someone hits the ground, so falling a lot has it's risks.
    I'm not sure what percentage on the training wrestling works, in the freestyle class I trained worked a lot from standing, but I think that was because it catered to the MMA gym for wresting takedowns; I'm not sure if that's the norm for wrestling?

BJJ won't have much impact with ground focus, and I don't know many that picked up as much injury from ground work as with stand up.

injuries happen in all contact sport, if you're looking at one of these styles to train in, then maybe weigh up which suits your goals best instead of which carry the highest risks.

6. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Judo...hands down it's not even close

Its really not the gentle art at all

7. axelb

someone broke their fingers at my club putting their "hands down" to stop a hip throw :confused:
    Kano really didn't think that name through did he :D:rolleyes:

SWC Sifu Ben and icefield like this.
  8. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Never seen as many hand finger knee or foot injuries as when I did judo, and the banning of leg attacks just made it worth now the big throws were the scoring ones lol

Dead_pool and axelb like this.
  9. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Yep judo by a long way, BJJ is super safe, especially if you start off with IBJJF rules.

I've seriously hurt one joint, once, and that was a freak accident in well over ten years of training.

philosoraptor and axelb like this.
  10. axelb

whereas in the 8 years I was in judo, I didn't know anyone in class that wasnt injured o_O apart from those who left before moving to senior classes (over 15s)

interestingly the under 15s class was a lot more Newaza focused.

11. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Sanda is the safest.

My biggest injury (knee) is from Wrestling in a comp. I been dumped, swung, twisted and squished. No issues. Its how I know certain throws wont hurt my team mates more than a bit of winding.
    Of course you're gonna get aches n pains.
    In submission wrestling...you're training so tap early and often and you wont get hurt.

axelb likes this.
  12. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Ya, I've long thought it's a stupid mis-translation by stupid American soldiers returning from occupied Japan. The books all say "ju" means "gentle, or yielding" and use the analogy of a branch blowing in the wind. It bends/yields/gives way to the wind and thereby survives the storm. The trees that don't move with the wind get uprooted by the storm.

So it's not "gentle art." It's "yielding art," as in, moving with the other guy's energy. Not resisting the energy.
    Stupid people not thinking it through. :mad:

But back to the question -- I've only been exposed to BJJ and judo, and judo is waaaaaaay rougher on the body. Those falls are brutal, man, and some of the throws are bad for your knees. (Whose idea was that?!) :mad: In BJJ you're just getting squished. You'll get "gi burns" and "mat burns," sometimes, but I don't count that as an injury. (shrug)

13. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

One reason I gave up Judo was that I felt I was almost always on the verge of an injury. Falling the wrong way, getting my foot caught in a throw, falling badly, etc.
    It felt precarious to do.
    Had a couple of heavy landings that brought on the stars in the vision. :(

14. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I loved the judo I did, I thought it was brilliant. If I had my time again I'd start judo at 5.

But near 50 year old me would fall apart if I took it up again now I reckon, the injury rate is horrific. I don't know about wrestling, but BJJ is a much safer option.

axelb likes this.
  15. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

BJJ is pretty chill, you're very unlikely to break anything if you're training in a reasonable manner.

EdiSco and axelb like this.
  16. EdiSco

EdiSco Likes his anonymity

Thanks for all the replies guys. Obviously, I expect a sprain/strain at some point and regular bruising. But what I really don't want is a major injury after which I can't do any sports....once you break something like your knee or lower back, it's over! I'm going to give BJJ a go, it seems like the reasonable choice.

axelb likes this.