Most effective techniques in real life scenario - Top 16

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by EdiSco, Aug 19, 2017.

1. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

To paraphrase Geoff Thompson, learn to hit really hard.

2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Yeah that's a good point. I got into a fight a few weeks ago, and I got out just fine, but the next day I couldn't walk on one foot because it had taken too much damage. It's still hurting a little bit now, although in a more "small nuisance" sort of way.

3. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Do you know what damaged it?

4. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

If you can use "single leg" to take down everybody on this planet, you don't need anything else. What you will need are:

- different ways to set it up.
    - different ways to finish.

5. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

That's a big if.

In "real life" you should avoid going to ground where possible.

It lessens your options and if you are in top mount it always looks like you are the aggressor.

That is the difference between martial arts and fighting and also the difference between thinking you know self defence and actually knowing self defence.

Hannibal likes this.
  6. Pretty In Pink

He just started targeting it and I didn't bother covering because I thought he had aimed low. After three of them I picked up on it and countered. It looked like a seriously sprained ankle but in reality there was no internal damage like a sprain so it healed quickly and I was back to running after three days.

David Harrison likes this.
  7. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Pop your runs in our thread mate! It'll help motivate me.

8. Pretty In Pink

Oh god no it was so embarrassing. I will start up in the thread again soon though.

Knee Rider likes this.
  9. Knee Rider

Can't be worse than my granny crawl around the woodland trail! Haha

Travess likes this.
  10. Pretty In Pink

It was 2 miles at about just under 10 minutes per mile :(

11. Knee Rider

First one back is always the worst. You'll be putting me to shame again in a week no doubt.

To bring it back to the op: running and general fitness are definitely solid self defence skills.

axelb likes this.
  12. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

That's about my pace.
    But I'm twice your age. :p;)

Coach yesterday had "a talk" with me, and said I need to get back to jogging, because my performance has dropped. He's right, but I really hate jogging, and that's why I haven't been doing it. Today, I wouldn't be surprised to run an 11-minute mile. :(:(:(

narcsarge and axelb like this.
  13. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

Ha ga ha - That's not too far off my PB...
    o_Oo_Oo_O

axelb likes this.
  14. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

10 minute miles is a good plodding pace for people who aren't proper runners. Proper runners go much faster, of course, and age makes a huge difference in running, but I used to look to 10 minute miles as my happy starting point for anything from 3 miles to 13. Much longer than that and I was too slow. Faster than that and I was doing OK. Much faster and I was really happy.

Given that most of us run as a sideline, I reckon a 30 minute 3 miles is a good target, a 60 minute 6 mile if you want to work distance. Adjust for training goals and age of course. PiP could be rocking way below that given his age, build and conditioning, but his training goals aren't running.

You probably have a 7/8 minute something over 3 miles in you though Tom?

15. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

I've been running 10-15 miles a week for over 10 years and 10min/mi is always my standard for steady training. (I just realised there is a lot of 10s in there).

it's a good standard, don't feel ashamed of slower than normal runs :) accept them like you do light rolling/sparring days

Mitch, Knee Rider and Travess like this.
  16. EdiSco

EdiSco Likes his anonymity

A real street fight? WOW. I wonder what happened to the other guy...was he also a trained fighter? If you don't mind my asking, of course.

17. Pretty In Pink

Poor wording. I WAS in a fight. Just a kickboxing match. 8 Oz gloves.

EdiSco likes this.
  18. icefield

icefield Valued Member

I don't think he said anywhere about ground fighing, mount or anything like that he mentioned a take-down where you dump him on the floor and you stay standing there's a world of between that and advocating taking mount?

I'm pretty sure the guy who answered challenge matches for one of the best fighters to come out of China, and who grew up in a country where brawls were frequent and weapons used a lot knows the difference between self defence sparring and fighting

David Harrison likes this.
  19. EdiSco

EdiSco Likes his anonymity

Is the sprawl the only defense against take-downs?

20. Pretty In Pink

No. It is one of the key elements though. Like throwing with a punch and you have to hit with your knuckles. It's almost always essential.