Most effective techniques in real life scenario - Top 16

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by EdiSco, Aug 19, 2017.

1. EdiSco

EdiSco Likes his anonymity

Hi guys,

What would you consider the most effective techniques in real life scenarios - list your top 16 and in order of effectiveness if possible. I know it would depend on the situation but still...

After 1.5 year of boxing, I either wana do just Muay Thai or Boxing and Wrestling.

edit: I picked 16 as that's probably the number of techniques I could learn properly and execute under extreme pressures of a real life scenario....anything more than 20 and it becomes useless, there's no way it's possible to recall and execute a hundred techniques when needed no matter how much one drills them.

Thanks

2. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

16 is a very random number. Although you could break it down to
    4 strikes
    4clinch/takedowns
    4 ground transitions
    4 finishes.

My goto submissions are
    1 rnc/shortchoke
    2 arm triangle
    3 leg triangle
    4 guiloteen

Transitions
    1 stand up from guard
    2 hip bump
    3 elevator / butterfly
    4 arm drag to backtake

Clinch
    1)snapdown to guiloteen
    2) sprawl to back/front headlock
    3) leg pick up defense to Kimura grip takedown
    4) double leg

Striking
    1) Bad striking to clinch

EdiSco and Simon like this.
  3. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

8 boxing punches + 1 sprawl + infinite footwork.

SWC Sifu Ben, Dead_pool and EdiSco like this.
  4. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Personally, I think you're coming at this from the wrong angle.

The techniques themselves don't really matter, as in your preferred techniques will be the ones you can consistently get to work in sparring, or even better; SD focused scenarios/sparring. Each person will have different preferences, depending on their character and physique.

What is more important is awareness of how a situation is unfolding and your tactics for escaping or resolving that. So my list would be more like:

1. Positional awareness: what any party can do to you from your current position, and what you can do to them, as well as ways to get to a superior position without escalating (if in pre-fight).

2. Reading telegraphs and body language. This is applicable all the way from spotting someone who looks "off" in the distance, to the pre-fight interview stage, to when they start swinging.

3. Hiding your own intent through controlling body language and reducing telegraphs. This is key to enacting tactics without escalating, as well as launching attacks or counters that people don't see coming.

4. Footwork: as PiP says above. Footwork is how you get to where you want to be, whether that's fighting through people or getting past them to escape, or casually moving to where you want to be in the pre-fight stage. It's how you get to superior positions whereby you maximise your attacking potential while minimising your chances of getting injured.

EdiSco likes this.
  5. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Awareness (eyes and ears open, threat recognition, profiling),
    Tactics (cross street, presentation, premeptive striking, running, knowledge of law and force scaling, improvised weapons, locked doors at night, lifestyle etc etc),

Mentality (grit, adrenaline control, OODA loop navigation etc),

Athleticism (self explanatory),

Fight skills (skills in at least one range but ideally all three and blade awareness)

That's my suggested order of importance for skills relating to self defence in basic order of importance, however it's not really a linear relationship between them all and they all need to be there.

16 moves concept is a waste of time and a flawed approach IMO.

EdiSco, Dead_pool and David Harrison like this.
  6. EdiSco

Thanks guys. Pretty good answers! I'm not looking for street fights or expecting to get into one. I do enjoy the hobby, I think it's a very good masculine way for a man to express himself and build confidence/self respect etc. BUT if you're doing a martial art, it should at least be effective if there were ever a need. There's some pretty ridiculously absurd stuff flying about on youtube - this video for example, has NO boxing that I can see nor any of the best Kung Fu I know of such as Sanda/San Shou. A Sanda fighter or a real boxer would butcher both of them at the same time:

7. Rataca100

Rataca100 Banned Banned

One and only, index finger strength. :p

Or the technique of a thousand squeezes or the technique of pistol whipping.

8. Rataca100

Rataca100 Banned Banned

As i cant edit, do Muay Thai and wrestling or grappling, from memory you can do boxing with Muay thai adnyou just need to learn how to grapple to make it work well.

9. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

If you make healthy lifestyle choices, have some social skills, train boxing and are used to mental and physical pressure through contact you'll already have enough to navigate or completely avoid large portion of potential self defence situations.

I reckon a huge portion of self defence situations arise from making poor choices around personal saftey, lacking awareness. I think asocial violence/predatory violence can mostly be avoided by correcting those errors.

A good boxer will have enough skill to navigate a great many acts of social violence such as club fights and general violent social encounters such as street confrontations.

If you were obsessed with self defense or if it was a priority then there is loads you could do and it's all really beyond learning 'moves'.

On efficacy of training: obviously if you don't train your martial arts in a way that means you can use it as advertised you'll be more likely to get your butt handed to you at the taxi rank on Saturday night when it all fails you and you revert to instinct.

Dead_pool, David Harrison and EdiSco like this.
  10. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Martial arts is a great way to learn how to express yourself, whether you are male, female, young or old.

Morik, aaradia, EdiSco and 4 others like this.
  11. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Good stuff. I'd add mental calmness and verbal communication to the list. That is, "keeping your cool" -- don't take the bait to fight, throw away your ego so that you can walk away, don't get angry. And be good enough at listening so that you can talk your way, away.

I'm very glad to say that I've never had to punch my way out of anything, and this because I've been able to talk my way out of confrontations. For me, *that* is real-life self-defense.

Thomas, EdiSco and David Harrison like this.
  12. Simon

It's also a valuable skill to remain calm, but convince someone you are capable to tearing them a new backside.

Remaining calm and talking someone down is the desired outcome of course, but it is easier when you can back it up when it does wrong.

If you've spent too much time working on your verbal skills, but your physical ones are lacking, then you'll suffer the mother of all adrenaline dumps when the aggressor flicks the on switch.

It also works the other way.

Those who feel their physical skills will get them out of trouble can lack the de-escalation skills.

13. David Harrison

Verbal skills are hugely important, probably second to awareness.

However, what a lot of instructors don't realise is that speech is a fine motor skill. Get enough adrenaline flowing around, and your voice is literally taken from you. It's very similar to a dream experience I think most people have had - when you try to shout words but only an unintelligible whisper comes out.

The endocrine system is all about thresholds. It's not the level of threat that dictates the severity of the adrenaline rush, but the speed at which you go from a state of relaxation to a state of alert. Being woken up by someone coming in your window or hearing a window smash in your house while you're chilling out in front of the TV will tend to impair fine motor skills more than a confrontation that you saw coming via aggressive body language and verbals.

This sudden jump from relaxed to fight/flight isn't really possible to simulate in a MA setting, because at some level you are always expecting to function in that setting.

EdiSco and Knee Rider like this.
  14. EdiSco

Yeah David, Adrenaline could have interesting affects on you. I have recently started sparring hard and find myself almost crying during and after sparring...NOT from pain or getting hit hard but just getting emotional...the coach says it's just hormones/adrenaline don't worry about it! I don't understand this! Interestingly enough, I don't feel pain....which is odd...we're not going full contact mind. I remember the first few times I got punched in the nose and tears came gushing out lol.

David Harrison and Dead_pool like this.
  15. David Harrison

Yeah man, it's weird. A lot of people think that it's to do with being scared, but you can feel kind of calm and still have the physical effects of adrenaline.

Eyes streaming from getting hit in the schnoz is more of a mechanical thing though, because of the sinuses.

16. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

Avoid

Deter

Negate

Escape

I'd agree with Simon that you're really coming at this from the wrong angle, albeit who doesn't love making and arguing about lists?

In terms of '16 techniques', multiplicity and transferable skills are training and repertoire principles that are your friends. Drilling a low number of movements that can be used for lots of different things (for example be both a preempt, a follow through strike, a clinch breakout, a tackle defence, a distance creator etc.) in different positions to different effect, that often in training reinforce other skills and moves.

Hannibal, SCA, bassai and 2 others like this.
  17. David Harrison

Too late to edit my post, but I just wanted to make a correction:

Verbal skills are third after awareness and body language.

18. Anjelica

Anjelica Banned Banned

I speak from personal experience when I say in a fight everything happens so fast you don't have time to think. You're mind and body have to respond automatically instinctively. Intense training and sparring can prepare you for that. Adrenaline helps to.

19. Simon

Adrenaline can have an adverse effect.

Also sparring isn't fighting. It's a popular misconception.

20. Anjelica

Anjelica Banned Banned

Its not fighting no but it can help prepare you for it. The reason I said adrenaline helps Is I got hit and didn't realize it until afterwards.

Pretty In Pink and Dead_pool like this.