Morning workout adding too much?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by mookie, Jun 11, 2007.

1. mookie

mookie New Member

I started Kickboxing about two and a half months ago although i've missed the last three weeks due to end of term workloads, i've always really worked out on and off and have been back at the gym doing weights since beginning of march. Currently my weekly routine is:

Routine A
    Bench Press (wide grip)
    Incline Dumbbells
    Bent Over Row
    Squat (bar behind neck)
    Pull Up (grip facing)

Routine B
    Bench Press (close grip)
    Decline Bench Press
    Deadlift
    Standing Military Press
    Pull Up (grip facing away)

Week 1
    Monday - Kickoxing
    Tuesday - Routine A
    Wednesday - Kickboxing
    Thursday - Routine B
    Friday - Kickboxing
    Saturday - Rest
    Sunday - Routine A

I'll be doing this alternating between routines and varying my reps and weight used ie working heavy on low reps and light weights on high.
    Last year to get fit for summer I used to run 15mins in the morning which really helped me burn excess fat, and i'm thinkng about doing this again. Question is if i get up and do some clap press-ups (want to work on explosive power?) and ab crunches then run 15mins varying sprint/jog would this be overtraining? I only do an office job so i'm not exerting myself during the day.

2. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

6 days a week with that type of load may just lead to overtraining. Adding in a few exercises here and there will just hasten it. That being said, most people do not push themselves to the limit when they workout so over training, though a valid concern, is not something most people get. If you are someone that pushes themselves hard, try taking an extra rest day every other weekend.

3. Sparx

Sparx Valued Member

1st thing I noticed is no tricpet exercise!?!?

Agreed or place you rest day around mid week instead of at the end.

4. narcsarge

With all the pressing movements Sparx he does give his tricepts a good bit of work but your take is why I recommended Dips! You can really target the Tri's with Dips. Also, he can increase the intensity by adding weight via a weight belt.

5. mookie

mookie New Member

Thanks guys, i get tris's with close grip bench although i toyed with adding dips as one of the routines lacks a bit more on the tri front and i was also gonna add a wide grip pull up but i was concerned about spending too much time in the gym? trying to hit around 45min.
    i'm actually not a fan of decline bench but i read a post on bodybuilding.com (which i cant find :confused: ) that listed decline really high
    i'll maybe leave the morning run for now, i thought it would boost sparring endurance and speed, perhaps i'll get enough of this from 3 classes though?

6. narcsarge

NOOOOOOOOO!

If you were adding the run to boost your Cardio for endurance don't settle for just training! Big Mistake! About 2 months out from a competition I hit the track. And I hate running for any reason! About 3 weeks out, I add in H.I.I.T or Tabata style sprints at my local track. Did I mention I HATE running?

The payoffs are wonderful. I can go multiple rounds and my recovery is awesome. I also find that I can push the tempo when my opponents starts to gas. It also allows me to stay focused on my training as I am not sucking wind in the corner.

7. mookie

mookie New Member

:p lol sorry i should've said the running was mostly to improve endurance and speed, the fat loss was an added bonus.
    with my current routine though i think the only time i can add running is in the morning, i thought like 3-4 times a week and given it's only 15 minutes i'm mayb not too close to overtraining maybe taking a thursday of every second week.

8. Sparx

Sparx Valued Member