Mormonism

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by vampyregirl, Apr 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

Vampi, why is there this need to believe in magic and prophecy and such?

The universe is awesome enough with needing the supernatural.

2. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

So is the Westboro Baptist Church. Your point?

[​IMG]

3. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

That's a poor question, Mike. The world is awesome enough without needing to believe in koala bears or horned toads, but if they're real, why not?

See, you've switched around the religious person's thinking order. They don't necessarily go, "I want to believe. Therefore, it's real." More likely they go, "It's real. Therefore, I believe."

4. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Well I'll keep my stash of cold iron, salt and big shiny pointy things thank you!

:evil:

5. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

So Smith was told by God to "multiply and replenish the Earth" by taking additional wives yet he was such a gentleman he never did anything with them?

If you buy that bull then I have some oceanfront property in Kansas to sell you.

6. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

If it's real, I don't need to believe.

BTW, the question was for Vampy. She has taken up this crusade and I am curious why.

People do things because if fulfills some need or desire that they have. For example I have taken up running again because I desire to lose the ring of fat I have acquired, in addition I am finding that it fulfills a need that I didn't even know that I had for movement and it is good therapy.

Also, it is bringing out my inner wolf, or maybe that's just too much "Game of Thrones".

:D

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 12, 2012
  7. robin101

robin101 Working the always shift.

I say we should shut the topic down.

Vampyre girl does not listen to reason and proof. She pointed to the bible as proof of joseph smith , We show her that the bible says prophets who say things that dont happen are not prophets, we name prophecies of Smiths that didnt come true. she ignores it.

We offer her proof that Smiths "Translations" were not in fact that and some were even invented.

We have told her that she beleives in a man who said he read magic plates from a magic rock at the bottom of a magic hat, but she says that makes perfect sense.

She will beleive in this stuff no matter what anyone says.so why bother.

I think she s a twihard who loves Stephanie myer so much she is trying to justify the authors religious choice. Would explain the forum name

8. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

As I already said so really anyone can be a prophet. However just like the Bible says you have your true prophets and your false prophets. The mere fact that Mormons believe they can become gods if worthy enough goes right against Christianity itself thus making Smith's words false. Deuteronomy 6:14-15: Ye shall not go after other gods, of the gods of the people which are round about you / 15 (For the Lord thy God is a jealous God among you) lest the anger of the Lord thy God be kindled against thee, and destroy thee from off the face of the earth.

How does Jeremiah 18 show a reversal of a prophecy? I'd like to see a specific example where you think this is shown. Same with Ezekiel 26-28. I'd like a specific example from each one. It's very easy to do.

9. aikiMac

There's no conversation if you shut your ears to what the other person is saying. You're twisting the religious person's words around to mean something different, to have a different definition. That's not cool.

"XYZ is real. Therefore, I believe in it," is what a religious person says and does. Accept it and use the words that way, or don't have a conversation. If you can't figure out what "real" and "believe" mean in that sentence, then you're not smart enough for a conversation about religion -- but I think you are smart enough.

Now, the word "real," as in "XYZ is real," is most definitely a target worth striking.

10. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Care to post a link as all I still see is Alma referred to as a female's name? If one wasn't good with Latin confusing Alma with the male version Almo could be an easy mistake. It's funny that Smith claims the plates weren't in either Greek or Latin yet uses terms and names from both in his translation.

Exodus 28:36: And thou shalt make a plate of pure gold, and grave upon it, like the engravings of a signet, Holiness To The Lord. Funny how despite no one else knowing about it you can find it right in the Bible.

Examples please?

So the Book of Exodus is not in the Bible now?

11. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Idiocy in belief knows no bounds. The apologetics are actually worse than the original shaggy dog tale in this instance

12. Xanth

Xanth Valued Member

I find it odd that a Mormon would point to the bible as proof of anything. When you dig down into their teachings, the bible is wrong on several points and that's why we need the book of Mormon to guide us along the "correct" path. Take Jesus for example, if you follow the bible it was emaculate conception. The book of Mormon (or one of their other sources, I can't remember) corrects us in the error of our ways and tells us that it was in fact, God who impregnated mary himself (his own daughter of course). The bible is also wrong in explaining how heaven works and how you get there (need those secret handshakes!!). There isn't a heaven after all, but a many layered high rise sort of place where only the chosen get to the penthouse. So if the bible was wrong on those points, what credibility does it have for a Morman... I'm guessing none. Those old guys were WAY OFF !

13. robin101

robin101 Working the always shift.

I wonder if she realises that not only is she not proving her point, she is in fact further convincing us that only a "Certain" kind of person would beleive in the Mormon teachings?

14. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

You do realise what that sounds like coming from someone who believes in a magic man in the sky who just doesn't seem to be able to figure out a way for people to worship him without parting with oodles of cash.

15. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

No mate. The Immaculate conception was invented by the Catholics to cover up a gap in their theology and applies to Mary not Jesus.
    It's a common mistake to think that Jesus was immaculately conceived.

16. CanuckMA

CanuckMA Valued Member

Yes. But Pandas are not.

17. aikiMac

18. CanuckMA

CanuckMA Valued Member

Bears pointing out that the Prophets were not predicting events in the future. They were chastizing their contemporary with threats, much like when you tell a kid, "if you don't eat your veggies, the closet monster will eat you."

19. Xanth

Xanth Valued Member

I was raised catholic, so that's where I got that idea from..thanks for the clarification.

20. aikiMac

If you were raised Catholic then you know that the Immaculate Conception concerns the Virgin Mary, not Jesus. Come on. Catechism instructions and Christmas carols. It's impossible to misunderstand.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.