Morik's training log

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Morik, Oct 6, 2016.

1. Morik

Morik Well-Known Member Supporter MAP 2017 Gold Award

Monday August 14

Got my butt to Muay Thai today for an hour, finally.
    It was quite hard, cardio-wise.

The warm-up was 2 3-minute rounds of jump rope (which I did maybe 20% of, and was still gassed after 1st round and feeling not so great after 2nd round).
    Then shadow boxing for 3 minutes or so.

Then we drilled teeps into a kick shield held by a partner. Alternating front & rear, partner walks towards you and you teep when they are at a good distance for it.

I started feeling nauseous and had to sit out. (I really should have been doing some form of cardio... I haven't been to any martial arts classes since June 27, and before that it was June 21st, so its been a while.)

I joined back in for one drill maybe 10 minutes later, and then had to sit out again as I was just wiped.
    We drilled parrying teeps (both front & rear) and then throwing a straight punch with the other hand. (I sat out through other parry -> retaliate drills where they did kicks & knees.)

My foot felt fine during class. I noticed a very slight amount of soreness when I was showering about an hour after class.
    I am icing it right now (just after the shower).

I plan to go back on Weds.

2. Morik

Wednesday August 16

After I posted on Monday I got a reasonably bad exertion headache which stayed with me through most of Tuesday.

I also looked back over my logs and realized that I only went to martial arts twice in June, so its actually been about 2.5 months since I've been going regularly.

I also failed to mention I am no longer training BJJ. I am going to just focus on Muay Thai for now. (This was back towards the start of June.)
    I plan to go to 2 or 3 classes per week. (I may throw in some yoga classes too.)

Muay Thai, 1 hour
    At class I was able to a bit more of the warm-up, which was the same 2 3-minute rounds of jump rope, but not by much.
    After that we drilled striking combos into Thai pads.

I held pads first instead of striking first (unlike Monday), which helped a lot.

Drilled:
    cross rear kick
    cross rear kick, lead hook cross rear kick
    switch kick
    switch kick, lead hook cross switch knee

Then we finished class with ab exercises (crunches, Russian twists, bicycles, leg raises).

Today was also a ranking day, and I got my first armband stripe.

I had a headache for a bit during and after class. It isn't as bad as Monday, and seems to be mostly gone now. Depending on how I feel the next few days I may skip Friday, though.

3. Morik

Friday August 18

My foot has been hurting just a little bit since Weds. E.g., one or two of the steps I take while walking somewhere at work will cause my arch to feel mildly sore.
    I noticed it slightly more on Thursday than I did today. I decided to go to class anyway.

Muay Thai, 1 hour, beginners class

The warm-up was 2 rounds of jump rope, followed by a round of shadow boxing. I was able to do more than I was on Mon or Weds. I jumped slower than the other students I could see, took a few shortish breaks, and fumbled the rope a bunch (e.g., get 1 or 2 jumps, then it would hit my leg or get stuck in my toes, and I'd have to reset). I'd estimate I did about 15-20% of the work the others did. On Mon it was probably more like 5%, Weds maybe 10%.

I started striking (instead of holding pads) today and I think it did me in. My partner had grabbed them & was already putting them on when we partnered up, and I thought I'd be alright. (Oops.)

We did 4 rounds of drills before switching who held pads:
    - jab, cross, lead uppercut; cross, lead hook
    - cross, rear elbow, <forget>, switch kick
    - low jab, rear low hook, lead hook, rear kick
    - low cross, jab, cross, lead hook

We switched pads & did 3 drills (left out that last one)

Then we switched & drilled:
    - rear knee to belly (belly pads), jab, cross, switch kick

I forget if I did one more round after that (if so, I don't remember the drills). Then I had to sit out. The rest of class did 2 more rounds each.

I did much better cardio wise than I did on Mon or Weds, despite having to sit out. I was able to go at a faster pace and use more force today. I ended up overdoing it a little bit, but those last rounds would have killed me anyway: 4 punch rapid combo followed by 4 rapid kicks from each leg was one of them, the other was also tough, don't recall what it was.

4. Morik

Saturday August 19

This always seems to happen to me--whenever I start cardio-heavy training after a while of not training, my sleep gets disrupted.
    Last night I only got about 5 hours of sleep--woke up hours earlier than usual, was wide awake but still a tired, kind of like I had a huge cup of coffee or something. Couldn't sleep after about 45 more minutes trying, so I just got up.
    I have been waking up early all week from this, but usually more like 30-60 minutes early, not several hours.

Weight Training, 1 hour

Usual foam rolling/trigger point.
    2 rounds of:
    - Hip extension/flexion (black band, 6/leg)
    - Lying on my back, kettlebell press & hold while raising opposite leg 6 times, then 6 ankle circles in each direction, then switch sides & repeat. (16kg bell)
    - deadlift a 20kg bell and a 16kg bell 3 times, then walk to other side of the gym & back.

2.5 rounds of (didn't do the last 2 exercises in 3rd round--was wiped):
    - single leg deadlift (2 16kg bells, 5x/leg)
    - cross-cable pulldown/tricep extension (120 lb on each cable first round, then down to 100 lb. This is the pulley thing so weight is lower than what is marked on it). 8x
    - hold high plank with black band around ankles and feet on valslides. Hip abduction, keeping heels inline over toes (don't let heals fall inward). 12x
    - reverse fly with arm extension. 12x with 3.25 lb in each hand

5. Morik

Saturday August 26

Weight Training, 1 hour

Usual foam rolling/trigger point.

- Hip extension/flexion (black band, 6/leg)
    - Lying on my back, kettlebell press & hold while raising opposite leg 6 times, then 6 ankle circles in each direction, then switch sides & repeat. (16kg bell)
    - bird-dogs (6x/leg)
    - lateral walk (black band)

2 rounds of
    - calf raises (one leg, heel hanging), 10x/leg
    - cross-cable pulldown/tricep extension (100 lb on each cable. This is the pulley thing so weight is lower than what is marked on it). 8x
    - swiss ball bridges (feet on side of ball), 8x
    - thick black band on-ground pulldown (trainer holding other side of band for tension). 8x

6. Morik

Wednesday August 30

The warm-up was 1 round of jump-rope.

We drilled with a partner, both wearing gloves & shin guards today (no pad holding).
    Attacking partner doesn't use much power.
    Defending partner blocks punches and may block, check, or just get hit by kicks as they like.
    Switch roles after doing the full combination 2-3 times.

2 longer drills (not sure how long each was; we weren't using the round timer):
    - jab, cross, lead hook, rear kick; jab, cross, lead body hook, rear kick
    - (defender must block on this drill) jab, rear kick; jab, rear kick; jab, lead inside kick (catch inner thigh as they go to block what would have been the 3rd rear kick)

2 rounds on the timer:
    - kick - counter-kick trading. These were body kicks with a rapid counter kick, then reset or continue chaining counters (2, 3, forever...) if comfortable with the drill. Arm cover blocks only, no checking in this drill.
    - after a 1 round break, repeated the previous drill. We sped up and did some chains of 3-4 kicks each--that gassed me by the end.

7. Morik

Saturday September 2

Weight training, 1 hour.

Did the usual foam & trigger-point rolling.

2 rounds of:
    - hip extension/flexion (black band, did only 1st round as I broke the band... oops)
    - lying down, kb press (16kg) with one arm & hold, raise opposite leg 6 times, then 6 ankle circles each direction, then switch sides.
    - lateral walk (would use black band, but broken; used a much thicker & larger band instead, choking up on it with both arms. This made it harder than black band.) 15 steps each direction.
    - single leg calf raise with heel hanging off back of a step (10x/leg)

Then 2 rounds of:
    - single leg dead-lift (2 16kg bells, 5x/leg)
    - cook band hung on squat rack (yellow one, moderately challenging for me): triceps pushdown & hold with hands making fists around the handles & knuckles pointing at the ground, hands at your sides, shoulders packed, while standing on one leg. 30s/leg.
    - X-cable pull-down/triceps extension (120 lbs on the plates 1st time, 100 lbs 2nd, this is the pulley one so not actually that much weight being moved) 8x/9x
    - single leg hip thrusters (shoulders & arms spread on a weight bench).

8. Morik

Forgot one exercise (can't edit).
    Half-kneeling, lift & hold a sandbag on the side that has the leg forward, using both arms & keeping your arms fully extended. This is a torso rotation. Hold 30s per side. Did this in both rounds of the 2nd group of exercises. (I think the cook band pulldown was actually in the 1st group.)

9. Morik

Monday September 4

My Muay Thai gym is closed for Labor day, so I saw my weight trainer instead.

Weight Training, 1 hour

Started with the usual usual foam/triggerpoint rolling.

2 rounds of:
    - Bird-dogs with burgundy cook band (relatively challenging tension on that one). 6 per side.
    - Halos around head with 12kg bell. 8x in each direction.
    - Half-kneeling single arm overhead carry (16kg, 20s), followed by half-kneeling rack carry (same bell, 20s), then switch sides & repeat.
    - Cook band pushdown & hold, knuckles facing floor, hands by sides, standing on one leg. orange cook band (easy), 20s/leg.
    - Stability ball bridges, 10x

Then 2 rounds of:
    - Weighted step-ups (20lbs), 6x/leg (we've been building to these--they used to hurt my knees. My posterior chain has improved enough that they no longer hurt my knees.) Did 3 sets of these (started a 3rd round, stopped after just these).
    - standing single arm cable row (160lb on pulley, so maybe 80lb). Leg on same side as the rowing arm is set back with almost no weight on it (on tips of its toes), keep your butt/glute really tight on that side.
    - Rip trainer push/pull swings, 15x/side.
    - Half-kneeling palov press (120lbs on pulley cable (so maybe 60lbs?), was pretty challenging, 20s per side)

10. Morik

Saturday August 9

No Muay Thai this week--Monday was a holiday (gym closed), Wednesday I was really sick, and Friday I was still not feeling that great.

Weight training, 1 hour

I wasn't feeling that great this morning either, so we went a little easier than normal.
    Also he doesn't have any black resistance bands left cause I broke them all.... he has more on order.

2 rounds of:
    - 16kg kettlebell press & hold from prone position, raise opposite leg 6 times, then 6 ankle circles each direction. Repeat on other side.
    - leg extension with burgundy cook band (hard). Basically bird dogs without the arm extension (tried bird dogs, was too difficult for me today).
    - 12kg kettlebell halos (8x/direction)
    - Cook band triceps pushdown & hold, knuckles facing floor with hands by sides, standing on one leg. Orange cook band (easy), 20s/leg.
    - stability ball bridges (8)

2 rounds of:
    - Half-kneeling single arm overhead carry (16kg, 20s), followed by half-kneeling rack carry (same bell, pulling it into position from the overhead carry, 20s), then switch sides & repeat.
    - Weighted step-ups (20lbs in one hand, 8x/leg).
    - Standing single arm cable row (160lb on pulley, so maybe 80lb). Leg on same side as the rowing arm is set back with almost no weight on it (on tips of its toes), keep your butt/glute really tight on that side.
    - Rip trainer push/pull swings (pivoting on one leg, overhand grip on close hand, underhand on far hand), 15x/side. Highest tension cord.
    - Palov press with 120lbs on the pulley cable (60 lbs?), 20s per side. (Skipped in round 2.)

11. Morik

Wednesday September 13

The warm-up was 1 round of jump rope. I still suck mightily at this, and constantly catch the rope on myself. Despite that, my conditioning is such that this is still a reasonable warm-up.
    I asked the instructor if the rope I chose was too short--he watched me for 3 jumps and said I just need to generate more power with my wrists. I'll work on that next time.

Then we did drills with a partner holding Thai pads.

Two 3-minute rounds for each drill (+ extra ~half-round on the 2nd & 4th drill)
    Switched pads after every 2 drills.

- Jab, cross, rear kick
    - Uppercut, cross, lead hook, rear kick

2nd set of 2:
    - Jab, cross, slip a jab, cross, lead hook, rear kick
    - Jab, cross, slip a jab, cross, lead hook, slip a cross, lead uppercut, cross, lead hook, rear kick

We finished with: leg raises, Russian twists, mountain climbers, and push-up to plank (high plank, lower one arm at a time to low plank, raise one arm at a time to high plank).
    The whole sequence repeated 3 times, ~8 reps per exercise each time.

I've only been to class twice in the past month now--my conditioning has already deteriorated some.
    I wasn't able to do all the exercises; got gassed in the 3rd round at the mountain climbers (was struggling to keep up for a while before that) and ran out of time before moving on.
    I was exhausted & breathing hard for a good 5 minutes after class ended.

Fortunately the convergence of work & personal stuff going on with me right now (including buying a new house & selling our old one, which is taking a lot of time up) is ending very shortly, and I should be making class a lot more often. I mention it cause I have a tendency to be lazy and make all sorts of excuses not to go (despite enjoying it while there & afterwards). I could have made a few more classes (~2) if I rearranged some things, so laziness got me anyway, but a lot of it was actual appointments/etc that I couldn't miss that coincided with class times.

12. Morik

Friday September 15

The warm-up was 5 minutes of jump rope. I'm getting a bit better at it (or my rope today was better matched to me), and what stopped me mostly was my calf muscles giving out after 15-25 jumps and needing a short break before I could start again.
    After a bit of this my breathing was getting pretty heavy, so it was both conditioning & my calves giving out towards the end. (As opposed to being stopped by continually catching the rope on myself.)

We did partner drills with the Thai pads & belly pads, swapping pads every 3 drills.
    1) Jab, cross, lead hook, cross, rear kick

2) Jab, cross, lead hook, cross, knee, jab, cross, rear kick

3) Jab, cross, knee, cross, rising elbow, spinning elbow

4) Strong jab, body cross, lead hook, switch knee, ??, ?? switch kick

5) can't remember it...

6) Body cross, lead uppercut; lead hook, rear rising elbow, cross, switch kick

I was tired but feeling ok at the end--I made sure to not use too much power in my strikes, so that I could last.

And then we did a bunch of push-ups and ab exercises. I couldn't do them all and was a panting puddle of sweat by the end. I had to go sit down for a few minutes before I could pack my stuff up. Took about an hour and a half to stop sweating afterwards.

13. Morik

I forgot to put this in my post from yesterday.
    The top of my right foot is very bruised. On Weds I hit it really hard into pads maybe 5 times and it was swollen somewhat badly. Ice helped and I was ok for class Friday.
    I acquired more bruising on the top of that foot. Then I got this correction from the instructor: If I'm hitting the top of my foot like that, I'm not turning my hip over properly on the kicks.

So--I need to work on that. I can do it sometimes, but I find it hard in drills, easier against a bag.
    I'm going to mention it to my weight trainer today (I'm heading for the gym in a couple hours), and see if he can recommend any exercises to build up more strength/ability in terms of that motion.

14. Morik

Saturday September 16

Weight training, 1 hour

Usual triggerpoint/foam rolling to start.

Hip extension/flexion (black band)
    Lying on back, press 16kg kettlebell & raise opposite leg 6 times, then 6 ankle circles each direction.

2 rounds of:
    - bird-dogs (burgundy cool band, challenging usually, wasn't so bad today) 8x/side
    - halos (12kg kettlebell, 8x/direction)
    - half-kneeling overhead carry (20s), then pull bell to half-kneeling rack carry & hold (20s), repeat on other side. (14kg bell first time, 16kg second time)
    - stability ball leg curls (8x)

2 rounds of:
    - step-ups (higher step than before, but unweighted) (8x/leg) (More challenging than the weighed ones on lower step.)
    - rip trainer push/pull swings with hip rotation (15x/side)
    - starting to learn the pattern for kettlebell swings. 29kg bell (it was pretty light for me; my trainer wants me to learn the motion before loading), 10 hikes (just the pulling part, then set it back down), then 5 power swings, focusing on technique.

15. Morik

Tuesday September 19

Muay Thai, 1.3 hours (1 hour, 25 min or so), all ranks class

The warm-up was 5 minutes of jump rope. There were 4-5 periods of 30 seconds where everyone went really fast.
    I jumped at a sedate pace and had to stop regularly due to either catching the rope on myself, my leg muscles fatiguing, or running out of breath.
    That said, I was much less tired afterward than I was a few weeks ago when I started out, though sweating pretty good.

We did partner drills with pads. Some of the class did some more advanced stuff while I & some others (newer people) got less advanced stuff.

Our drills were pretty simple combos like:
    jab, cross
    jab, cross, kick
    jab, cross, kick, elbow
    kick, jab, cross, hook, cross

There was one with jab cross rising elbow spinning elbow too.
    Hard to remember because my partner was newer than me and got slightly different combos--I usually need to both do it & hold pads for it to remember all of them later that night, and even then its hard if we did a lot of different ones.

I think we did 8 drills each.

Anyway, there was one combo with a switch kick in it. It was:
    cross, jab-cross, switch kick, lead elbow

I had posted about problems with my switching here: Resources to improve my switch technique (for switch kicks/knees)?

Basically I often hop when I do the switch stance, and you aren't supposed to.

axelb's advice about hip position helped a lot--coming off the cross, my hips are already placed well for switching. My natural inclination was to pull my hips back into the regular stance when pulling my arm back from the cross, and then switch (with a hop). Using the existing hip position from the cross, I only twisted my hips back a little bit when I pulled my arm back from the cross, and I felt like the switch went a lot better and I don't think I hopped.

After the drills we did conditioning:
    10 push-ups, then 30 seconds of an ab exercise, 4 times, only time to get into the next position between exercises (so no breaks really).

I wasn't able to do them all, and I skipped the first 10 push-ups (had to plug the meter real quick, didn't know class was going to go so long--not sure if all ranks class is always longer or if it just ran over today).

I was feeling pretty decent before the conditioning part; I dry-heaved a bit in the bathroom afterwards.
    It could have been partly due to my stomach being empty; I had a 220 calorie snack an hour and a half before class, maybe that wasn't enough. (Had a big lunch, finished it 4 hours before class...)

Anyway, I felt ok after sitting a bit and having some more water.

16. Morik

Thursday September 21

I've been feeling pretty run down this week--the Friday night Muay Thai + Saturday morning weight training was too much last week. I'm going to try avoiding that for a few more weeks, at least. (And then I'll see if I can manage it; if not I'll keep avoiding putting them back to back.)
    And Tuesday's class hit me pretty hard.

So I did an hour of Yoga instead of Muay Thai today--I wanted to get some movement in, and this is a fairly athletic yoga class.

I think the push-ups I've been doing at Muay Thai helped--last time I was at Yoga I wasn't able to stay in down-dog the whole class (shoulders/arms fatigued)--now I was able to.

17. Morik

Saturday September 23

Weight training, 1 hour.

My hamstrings have been feeling tight/sore all week. Spent a good amount of time with a softball on a weight bench rolling them out & stretching them before we started.

Lateral steps, 12 per leg, black band.
    Hip extension/flexion, 8 per leg, black band.
    16kg Kettlebell press & hold from prone, raise opposite leg 6 times, then do 6 ankle circles in each direction, then switch sides.

half-kneeling overhead carry (16kg, 20s) pulling into half-kneeling rack carry (20s), then switch sides.

My hamstrings felt tighter/tweaked a bit after that, so my trainer had me do a few sets of overhead presses from tall kneeling (taking the hamstrings out of it): 16kg the first set (5 per side).

Then 20kg (5 per side). That was ok on my right, but my left side it got a bit too challenging to maintain form at the end.

So we did (still 20kg bell):
    - 1 rep each side
    - 2 reps each side
    - 3 reps each side
    - rest ~1 minute
    - 4 reps each side

Then bent-over dumbbell rows (12 reps per side): did 2 sets of that.

Then we did a stepping chest press with the rip trainer (cord applying rotational force). The hard part was keeping the bar in the same orientation, given the rotational force trying to pull it back. (15 steps with cord behind me off to the left, 15 steps with cord behind me off to the right--the bar & cord make an L, the long part of the L is perpendicular to me running back to a squat rack, so I'm standing inside the L with my hands on the short part, which is the rip trainer.)

Then another set of the bent-over dumbbell rows, and another set of the stepping chest press.

18. Morik

Saturday September 30

I've been wiped all week from packing/moving (over the course of the week), didn't get to class at all.

Instead of weight training, because I was both sleep deprived & my muscles were pretty fatigued, my trainer mostly had me doing mobility stuff. So did that for an hour.

axelb likes this.
  19. Morik

Saturday October 7

I'm upset with myself not getting to class this week. I was still feeling wiped out on Monday (spent the weekend doing more moving stuff/unpacking/etc), and told myself I'd go later in the week. Then I got sick later in the week :-/. I should have gone on Tuesday at least.

Anyway, new short-term goal: For the remainder of October (~3 weeks), attend at least 2 classes per week. I really should be able to hit 2 classes every week, barring extraordinary circumstances. But I have not been doing that. Hopefully I'll do it for 3 weeks, and then just keep doing it.

Weight training, 1 hour.

Hip extension/flexion (black resistance band, 6 per leg)
    cook band pushdown & hold (knuckles pointing at floor, hands by sides) standing on one leg, 20s per leg. (Orange cook band)
    overhead carry 20s, pull into rack carry 20s, then repeat on other side. 18kg kettlebell
    lateral steps (black resistance band, ~15 steps).

2 rounds of:
    Rip trainer: hold it out with arms fully extended, cord making an L with the bar, which is in front of your chest. Step forward & return to position, 15 times per side.
    rip trainer cable rotation & overhead press, 8x per side, then 5x per side
    doing kettlebell swing patterns (just the initial hike part for a bit), then 3-6 power swings. On the 2nd round I also did 2 sets of 5 consecutive swings.

Spent a lot of time on triggerpoint/rolling with a softball: tried doing step-ups but it was hurting my knee. Found my adductor is tight/irritated on the right leg.

20. Morik

Tuesday, October 10

Muay Thai, ~75 minutes, all ranks class

The warm-up today was 3 minutes of jump-rope, shadow box during 45 second break, 3 minutes of jump-rope, shadow box for 45 seconds.

We worked on pad drills with a partner today. We swapped pads every 3 drills.

Drills:
    1. jab, cross; cross, hook
    2. jab, cross; cross, hook, elbow, elbow
    3. knee or switch-knee (pad holder decides), then whatever punching combo you want (I did cross, hook, cross).

4. pad holder calls anything they like, creating combos from: kick, switch kick, any punches to the head.
    5. same, but add elbows (including spinning elbow) & knees, and can call multiple kicks in quick succession to hit the cardio (I didn't do more than 2 in a row).
    6. same, but add punches to the body

We finished with ab exercises for ~7 minutes (did an exercise for 30 sec, then switch to another for 30s, and so on with no pauses).

I managed my energy better this class and/or my conditioning is improving more. I did have to go light on my kicks because my partner was nearly 200 lbs lighter (I'm guessing), which helped keep me from getting too winded.
    I still worked on turning my hip over, though my first attempt sent my partner stumbling back (despite me trying to put minimal power). I think he was too close and it caught him during the turn-over, and then pushed him. After that I'm not sure I turned it fully over, but I did manage to hit with the right part of my leg & the leg looked like it was mostly rotated the right way.

Throwing lots of knees did get me a bit winded though, as I was able to put some power into those.

I feel like my elbows aren't that great into pads. I keep hitting with my forearm first--may have been my pad holder swinging into me too much too.
    My spinning elbow sucks--I need to learn how to aim it. I always ended up hitting somewhere pretty far away from the pads, off to the side of my partner.

I did start getting a little nauseous during class, but I managed to get through it. I went light on the ab exercises, taking them slow and sometimes taking a short rest.
    I was nauseous for maybe the first half of my ride home too. No exertion headache, which is nice. I've felt fine since though.

axelb likes this.