Morik's training log

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Morik, Oct 6, 2016.

1. Morik

Morik Well-Known Member Supporter MAP 2017 Gold Award

1/9

35 minute walk, avg HR 110 BPM.

40 minutes cardio on heavy bag.
    HR.jpg

No warmup, just straight into it going fairly light at first.
    The break around 5 min was due to cutting my elbow open on the bag seam--I was dripping blood on the mat so I had to go get paper towels (to clean up mat & to put pressure til it clotted).
    This was mostly punching, but I did some kicking too. I found that kicking got me above the HR rate I was targeting pretty quickly... when my HR got too high I walked around a bit before going back to the bag.

I think this can work for me as a cardiac output exercise--I need to figure out the right intensity & speed on the bag so I can just keep it up the whole time instead of having to take breaks to drop my HR back into the target range.
    Hopefully as my conditioning improves I'd also be able to do more kicks without spiking my HR out of the target zone.

axelb likes this.
  2. Morik

1/9 addendum

My ankle was fine with the walking & with the bag work. I think not trying to do any jumping helped, as did limiting the amount of kicking I was doing.

I spent ~30 minutes doing triggerpoint & rolling before bed.
    I need to get back to supplementary exercises and start being more serious in my strength training. (I often stay up late Friday nights, and then feel not so great for my Sat strength training. I need to be more consistent with sleep, and get my head in the game at the gym instead of being lazy.)
    Exercises I should be doing each week:
    - Shoulder maintenance. My rotator cuffs have had issues in the past, and as I get back into BJJ I've noticed some minor issues. I should get back to doing external rotation & abduction exercises, probably 2x/week.
    - Grip training, 1-2x/week.
    - Calf raises: Due to the ankle I haven't really been able to do any jump-rope. But I want to keep my calf strength up, so I think I should start doing calf raises 2-3x/week.
    - Body weight exercise: Probably I'll just incorporate this as a warm-up for other activities, may also do some during breaks at work depending on how I feel.

I think this ties into self care--I need to do more of that too. As I ramp up exercise, I feel like I need more rolling/triggerpoint/etc to keep everything working smoothly.

I've been fasting since lunch on 1/9, figure I'd just eat at lunch on 1/10.

1/10

Got decent sleep (7 hours) and woke up earlier than I'm used to.
    I took my HRV this morning for the first time in a while. I'm going to try to start doing that again regularly. Today it was 61.

Just now (~9:15 am) I had a cortado (espresso & milk) which has maybe 2-3 oz of whole milk, so that sort of breaks the fast, but I don't plan to have any other calories til lunch.

Broke the fast around noon with rice, refried black & pinto beans, roasted peppers & carrots, grilled chicken, pico de gallo, guacamole, queso fresco, sour cream, and cilantro, which is the only food I've had today (other than the few oz of milk in the morning). No stomach issues.

BJJ no-gi fundamentals class @ 6pm
    HR.jpg

I started the monitor about 15 min before class started and spent some time foam rolling and doing a few stretches/mobility things, then sitting and waiting for class to start.

I warmed up with:
    - 2 sets of: 5 squats, 5 push-ups, 10 crunches
    - Hitting the heavy bag (chops, palm strikes, elbows, knees, kicks)
    - Some forward rolls, some other thing (not sure what its called, scooting backwards), and then I worked on backwards rolls while the rest of the class did other stuff. (I was getting too tired, and also a lot of the drills they were doing weren't doable due to my ankle.)

Then we did some grip/clinch sparring, which is that peak into the red zone. (I think we are supposed to take it pretty easy during that as it is still part of the warm-up, but my partner & I ended up going medium.)

The topic today was guillotine chokes.
    We worked on:
    - Applying the standing guillotine (e.g., off a sloppy double leg from our partner).
    - Escaping the guillotine when it is not fully on yet (circle head back to midline).
    - Defense against a locked in guillotine (near arm grabs & pulls down on their choking forearm, other hand over their shoulder & anchor on their back). Included tips on what to do if they manage to lift you off the ground (that arm on the back keeps a lot of your weight off your neck, and makes you heavier for the opponent. Also extending one leg back & putting a foot-hook on their thigh with the other leg (makes you heavier for opponent, puts pressure on their low back). Hook with leg on same side as your head, extend other leg.
    - Defense if they sit back and pull you into their guard while maintaining the guillotine (sort-of doing a Von Flue choke, but not as strong as the one below). Hips to the other side of opponent, forehead to the mat, up on your toes driving your shoulder into their neck.
    - Take-down from the standing defensive position (get hips to opposite side of partner than our head is on, trip/whatever), into Von Flue choke if they don't wise up & release the guillotine before you trap their arm keeping it locked around your neck.
    - Defense against guillotine from butterfly (person in butterfly is applying guillotine); circle hips to the other side & Von Flue choke.

One of the points the instructor emphasized was that having your hips & head on the same side of the opponent is not good when they have you in a guillotine, goal is to get your hips to the other side of them and then go from there.

3. Morik

1/11

I did eat dinner yesterday after posting (chicken w/ beet risotto, nuts cheese & dried fruit, an apple).

I woke up pretty early (for me) and couldn't fall back asleep. ~7 hours total sleep, 5 restful.
    HRV is 59 today.

Strength training fasted (since dinner last night), 12:30 pm.

Foam rolling/triggerpoint (quads, hamstrings, glutes, low back, pecs, shoulders).

3 sets of:
    Band pull aparts (12)
    1/2 kneeling cook band glute tube w/ 6kg bottoms up kettlebell shoulder opening (from front to side with the arm) (8x per side)
    Single leg hamstring curls 50lbs (8 per side)
    1/2 kneeling double kettlebell lift with 26kg bells

Ate afterwards: tuna tartar w/ avocado & mango, shrimp & grits with some sausage & cheese.

axelb likes this.
  4. Morik

1/11 addendum

Lunch (after strength training) was probably ~800-900 calories.

Dinner/junk food: cauliflower shell pasta bolognese (which is kind of crazy, the shells are a 50/50 blend of regular pasta & cauliflower, but taste & feel like regular pasta shells), 450 calories.
    5 novelty ice cream bars (the whole box...): 170 cal each, 850 cal total
    A container of hummus (700 cal) with everything pretzels (seasoned like everything bagels, not sure how many cal I ate of these).

My stomach was not too happy with my dinner choices. Probably the ice cream bars, maybe also the hummus given the amount I ate of it. I really shouldn't have taken the whole container of either of those.

1/12

Fasting since dinner last night. I plan to eat next around dinner time, though I may end up eating a bit earlier than that.

10:45 - 12: Recovery & Auxiliary exercises
    - 15 minutes foam rolling/trigger point, focusing on the quads just above the knee especially, and the shoulders/pecs. (My weight trainer suspects tight pecs are contributing to my rotator cuff issues.)
    - 12 tempo intervals for recovery (HR graph below). No warm-up, actually went at the 70% effort that I should be using for this (I often end up inadvertently going harder). 70% effort for 12s, active rest 1 min. Work periods were open hand strikes/chops/elbows, with a few kicks & knees thrown in. Rest periods were either walking around, shadow boxing lightly, and I threw in a few forward & backwards rolls (though this shot my HR up a good bit).
    HR.jpg

- grip training (prohands/coc):
    Crush 10 xx-hvy
    Hook 10 x-hvy
    Finger play 10 each finger, medium
    tripod 2x10 medium
    trigger 10 xx-hvy
    thumb press 2x10 x-hvy, 2 buttons
    power pinch 2x10 heavy, 2 buttons
    crush 10 xx-heavy
    coc trainer 2x6 (closed)
    coc #0.5 2x4, left almost but not quite closed all

Forgot to do finger extension exercises--next time.

- shoulders/calves (interleaved a bit with the grip training for more rest between the coc grip exercises; abduction after the prohands stuff, external rotation @ neutral after the coc trainer sets, then the rest after the coc #0.5 sets).
    Used blue resistance band for the shoulder exercises.
    2x10 abduction on each side
    3x10 external rotation @ neutral each side
    3x10 external rotation @ 90 each side
    2x12 1s/3s eccentric calf raises (both feet at once, heels hanging off stairs)

I have been going to bed really early for me (11/11:30 pm), and getting up around 7 am the past few days (usually get up around 9 or 9:30).
    If I keep on this schedule, I am going to try adding cardiac output or tempo intervals in the mornings hitting my heavy bags. I won't do it too much at first as I don't want to over-tax my body. So not tomorrow morning (planning on going to BJJ fundamentals tomorrow evening), but later in the week.

axelb likes this.
  5. Morik

1/12 continued

6 pm: I broke the fast with roasted salmon (tarter sauce, lemon), green beans, roasted potatoes. 500 cal.

8 pm: ginger-almond chicken brown & wild rice bowl w/ broccoli & peppers, 470 cal

8:30 pm:
    - Rigatoni Bolognese, 470 cal
    - 2 slices of pear & berry pie, 270 cal each , 540 cal total
    - 2 cups of kettle corn (popped), ~30 cal

HRV was 64 this morning (forgot to put in last post, started taking my HRV in the morning again).

1/13

Got up at 7:45. Headache (non-migraine), not too bad but felt like it could grow to something worse. Probably due to the weather; sudden temp change from 70 F yesterday, to 37 F & rain/snow today (21 C -> 3 C). Took some excedrin, hopefully it will clear up for BJJ fundamentals tonight.
    HRV 68.

My calves are surprisingly pretty sore from those two sets of calf raises yesterday...

Fasted until lunch time.

12:15, lunch:
    Korean fried chicken bowl: Multigrain rice, sweet Korean lentils with sesame, K Town spicy fried chicken, soft whole egg, sweet & sour daikon, Hon Shimeji mushrooms, scallions, Gochujang mayo.
    Also: Steamed broccoli, roasted parsnip w/ fennel, warm cardamom-ginger apples.
    Guessing ~800 calories.

Circumstances conspired to keep me from going to BJJ today. (Unexpected errands made it so I'd have to spend an extra 90 minutes in traffic, and the headache from the morning was coming back.)
    I ended up making today a rest day.

Rolled my calves out with a vibrating peanut & a softball.

7:45 pm: roasted potatoes, cod cakes w/ Chipotle sauce & succotash. 660 cal

9:45 pm: creamy red beet & chicken risotto, 620 cal. Also nuts, cheese, & dried cranberries, 360 cal.

10:30 pm: butter popcorn w/ butter (~3-4 tbsp). ~750 calories. (I should really get plain popcorn if I'm going to have butter with it on the side.)

In bed ~11:15 pm.

6. Morik

1/14

Got up at 8:10.
    Forgot to take my HRV.
    7 hours 45 min restful sleep, 30 min restless.

Conditioning (cardiac output):
    Warm-up -- 3 sets of: 5 squats, 5 push-ups, 10 crunches. (I should do some active stretching too; arm, hip, knee, wrist, and ankle circles, forward leg swings, sideways leg swings. I'll try to remember to add those next time.)
    Short break to put on hand wraps, then 30 minutes on the heavy bags.
    I forgot to wear my ankle brace and my ankle did get a bit sore; I think I had some impacts on that right foot (e.g., double kick with left leg, I sort of 'hop' the right foot between the two kicks).
    HR avg was 138 BPM.

My calves are still quite sore. (Not sore anywhere else.)

12:30 pm, lunch:
    Saffron rice w/ papaya, refried pinto beans, refried black beans, spicy honey brussels sprouts, king trumpet mushrooms, chicken, pico de gallo, guacamole, lime sour cream, queso cotija, cilantro.
    Guessing ~700 calories.

5 pm: Walked 32 min @ 2mph, avg HR 104 BPM.
    I gotta say, I really like not being all sweaty afterwards. (This is due to my HR staying lower, which is due to actually getting in some decent exercise and sleep lately.)

7 pm: Cauliflower shell Bolognese, 450 cal (pasta shells made half of regular pasta, half cauliflower)

9 pm: Turkey & Mushroom meatloaf with carrots, peas, and cauliflower-potatoe mash. 430 cal.
    Nuts, cheese, dried cranberries, 360 cal

9:30 pm: crunch bar (230 cal), big kit kat bar (420 cal), good n plenty (150 cal)

I used a stick roller on my calves before bed.
    In bed ~ 11 pm.

axelb likes this.
  7. Morik

1/15

Got up at 8.
    1 hour 10 min to fall asleep (I think all that candy made it harder to fall asleep), 6.25 hours restful, 1.5 hours restless.
    HRV: 73
    Recovery: Yellow (63%)

12 pm: 6 pork belly bao buns, guessing ~700-900 calories.

6 pm: BJJ fundamentals
    HR.jpg

I was running pretty late; I got held up at work and then traffic was crazy, so I got on the mat as the warm-up was ending.
    I did 4 forward rolls and 4 backwards rolls, then grabbed a partner for light grip sparring, which is that peak into the red right before 8 minutes.
    We worked on triangle chokes from a failed closed-guard armbar today.
    The set-up is the same as that armbar from closed guard, but they manage to pull their arm out. Into triangle from there, and also an opportunity to armbar their other arm.

9:45 pm: Creamy beet and chicken risotto, 620 cal
    Turkey and mushroom meatloaf with cauliflower-potato mash. 430 cal

In bed at 11.

axelb likes this.
  8. Morik

1/16

Woke up ~7:30.
    53 minutes to fall asleep, 6h35m restful sleep, 1h restless.
    HRV: 58, recovery: yellow (73%)

8 am: Grip. shoulder, calves exercise.
    Prohands/Coc grip:
    Crush 10 xx-hvy
    Hook 10 hvy
    tripod 2x10 hvy
    trigger 10 xx-hvy
    thumb press
    2x10 x-hvy, 2 buttons
    power pinch
    2x10 heavy, 2 buttons
    crush 10 xx-heavy
    coc trainer 2x6, trouble closing on left in 2nd set
    coc #0.5 2x4, left closed one, almost but not quite closed the others (right closed all)
    finger extension 20x white, 16x green, 10x yellow

Shoulders/Calves (interleaved a bit with the above)
    Blue band for shoulder exercises.
    2x15 abduction each side
    2x20 external rotation @ neutral each side
    2x20 external rotation @ 90 each side
    2 sets of 20 reverse fly, 12 y-fly
    2x12 1s/3s eccentric calf raises

10:30 am, flat white (3-4 oz whole milk), guessing ~70 calories

12 pm
    Saffron rice w/ papaya, refried pinto beans, refried black beans, spicy honey brussels sprouts, king trumpet mushrooms, chicken, pico de gallo, guacamole, lime sour cream, queso cotija, cilantro.
    Guessing ~700 calories

90 minute full body massage.

3:30 pm

Walked 30 min @ 2mph, avg HR 111 BPM.

5:30 pm
    Lemon RxBar (3 egg whites, 6 almonds, 4 cashews, 2 dates), 210 calories
    beef jerky, 70 cal

9 pm: Panera Mediterranean grain bowl w/ chicken, 650 calories
    10 pm: nuts, cheese, dried cranberries. 360 calories

In bed around 11.

axelb likes this.
  9. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

what are you using to monitor sleep quality? I've been using my polar watch, it seems useful and moderately accurate.

10. Morik

I do wear my polar watch, but I also have a sleepnumber bed which does similar monitoring. I generally use the sleepnumber data.
    I just went on the polar flow web app and looked at the sleep data. Not sure why, but it didn't record anything for yesterday (I did wear my watch to sleep).
    For the days it has data, it matches up pretty closely with the sleepnumber data.
    I find the sleepnumber report in the morning easier to parse though (how long between getting in bed & falling asleep, total restful sleep, total restless sleep, total time out of bed if I got up at all during the night).

axelb likes this.
  11. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

that sounds useful. I often don't wear my watch on bed, I may look into the sleep number :)

12. Morik

The other thing I like about the sleepnumber bed is that I can adjust firmness. E.g., sometimes I want a much firmer mattress and other times I want a softer mattress. Seems to vary based on how my body is feeling.
    Being able to raise head/legs separately is also nice; if really sick/congested, sleeping with the head portion of the bed inclined up even just a little bit can be pretty helpful. Similarly if you read in bed, you can raise it up and then just put it back down when ready to sleep.

axelb likes this.
  13. Morik

1/17

1 hour to fall asleep, 6 hours restful, 40 minutes restless.
    Got up around 6:40 (well, woke up, tried to sleep more but my cat heard that I was up and started meowing his head off, actually got out of bed around 7:10)
    HRV: 58
    Recovery: Yellow (80%)

12:30 pm: Turkey & bacon sandwich with parmesan garlic spread & brussels sprouts slaw.
    Guessing around 700 calories.

I was feeling pretty sleepy and considered taking a nap (something I almost never do), but decided to try a walk instead.
    1:45 pm: Walked 31 min @ 2mph, 113 avg BPM.

3:45 pm: large banana, 110 calories
    Lemon RxBar (3 egg whites, 6 almonds, 4 cashews, 2 dates), 210 calories

6 pm: BJJ no-gi fundamentals class.
    My HR monitor turned off for some reason after 2 minutes so no graph today.
    I warmed up with:
    - 3 sets of 5 squats, 5 push-ups, 10 crunches
    - open-hand striking on heavy bag (incl. knees/kicks)
    - grip sparring with a partner
    - 10 push-ups
    - 'foot tap' drill with partner -- starting from standing, you get a point for tapping the top of your partner's foot (with your hand only, not with your foot). I am not good at this, got no points. I found it really hard to level switch that quickly.

Then we drilled the same thing as in Wednesday's gi fundamentals class: starting with arm-bar from closed guard, they get their arm out, triangle choke (if you keep head control), or armbar the other arm (if they posture up & stack you). Got a few more little details from the instructor today that we didn't cover in the class Weds (mostly around what to do with your hands).

7:45 pm: 5 large shrimp w/ zesty cocktail sauce, 100 cal

10:15 pm: Panera baja bowl w/ chicken (690 cal), half a Panera Napa valley chicken sandwich (340 cal).

In bed ~11:45.

axelb likes this.
  14. Morik

1/18

40 min to fall asleep, 5h30m restful sleep, 1h restless sleep.
    Woke up around 7.

HRV: 66
    Recovery: green (87%)

12:30 pm, strength training
    3 sets:
    Single leg hamstring curls, 60lbs, 8/leg
    High plank w/ single leg hip abduction

2 sets:
    1/2 kneeling double kettlebell deadlift, 26kg (x2) 8 reps per side
    1/2 kneeling cook band glute tube w/ bottoms up shoulder abduction, 6 kg

2:30 pm
    Ahi tuna tartar with avocado and tropical salsa, 250 cal
    Cedar plank roasted salmon with green beans, potatoes, mustard sauce, 500 cal

6:15 pm
    Pot-roasted basil-ricotta chicken, green beans, roasted tomato pilaf 540 cal

9:30 pm
    One piece of four mushroom flat bread, 50 cal
    wood-grilled pork tenderloin, green beans, sweet potato mash, shallot-herb jus, 450 cal
    Nuts, cheese, dried cranberries, 360 cal

10:15 pm: 2 chipwiches, 740 cal

In bed ~11:45.

axelb likes this.
  15. Morik

1/19

Woke up around 8 am.
    24 min to fall asleep. 5h restful, 3h restless
    Recovery: Green (83%)

10:50 - 1 pm: foam rolling/triggerpoint, conditioning (cardiac output), grip strength training, calf strengthening, shoulder maintenance.
    I spent ~10 minutes rolling out my shoulder/lats/pecs. My right shoulder has been getting a bit gunky; there is discomfort with certain movements. If this keeps up I may not be able to continue going to BJJ twice a week; it has been getting progressively worse over the past few weeks (it may be mildly injured, not sure). That said, I can do most exercises/activities/etc without discomfort if I roll out the pec/lats/etc and use proper form. If I forget to engage the lats when throwing a hook or a slap with that arm, it does get a jolt of discomfort... I'm hoping if I keep up with the maintenance exercises, get massage on those areas, and keep rolling it out regularly (though not daily; don't want to overdo it), it will resolve.

Then I spent some time cleaning my mat; I usually clean it before I do a workout (swiffer sweeper). Today it was absolutely caked in dust due to some construction still going on in the basement. It took a while to get it clean (and 3 swiffer sheets).

Then I did some cardiac output conditioning.
    HR.jpg
    I started with 3 sets of 5 squats, 5 push-ups, 10 crunches.
    Then arm circles, forward leg swings, and sideways leg swings.
    Short break to put on wraps, then ~60 minutes of striking the heavy bag mixed with walking around (when my HR got over 145). I mostly did punching & elbows today, with some palm strikes, chops, and slaps as well. I did do some kicking & kneeing, but not a lot as it gets my HR up pretty quickly.

After cleaning off my HR monitor I did grip, shoulders, and calves.
    Prohands/CoC.
    Crush 10 xx-hvy
    Hook 10 x-hvy
    tripod 2x10 hvy
    trigger 10 xx-hvy
    thumb press 10 x-hvy, 2 buttons
    power pinch 10 heavy, 2 buttons
    crush 10 xx-heavy
    coc trainer 2x6 (closed)
    coc #0.5 2x4 (closed)
    coc #1 2x4, left closed first, almost closed others
    finger extension 20x white, 16x green, 14x yellow

Shoulders (interleaved with grip stuff):
    2x15 abduction each side
    2x20 external rotation @ neutral each side
    2x20 external rotation @ 90 each side
    2 sets of 20 reverse fly, 12 y-fly

Calves: 2x12 1s/3s eccentric calf raises

I'm going to try to rest the shoulder til Weds, I'll see how it feels and if its feeling ok I'll go to BJJ, otherwise I'll just do some form of conditioning that won't bother it.

5:30 pm: Cod cakes with spicy Chipotle sauce, succotash, potatoes, 660 cal
    7 pm: Sausage baked penne w/ sauteed zucchini & spinach, 570 cal
    9:45 pm: Nuts, cheese, dried cranberries, 360 cal
    10 pm: 6 string cheeses, 480 cal

In bed around midnight.

16. Morik

1/20

Woke up around 8 am.
    55m to fall asleep, 6h restful, 1h restless sleep.
    HRV: 76
    Recovery: Yellow (52%)

I opted to rest today due to the high HRV.
    The shoulder feels much better than yesterday, but still messed up.

1 pm: Pork carnitas with Latin style rice and beans, 490 calories

4:45 pm: Panera Mediterranean grain bowl with chicken, 650 cal

6 pm:
    - 6 blueberry pancakes w/ a large amount of syrup. ~1000 calories.
    - Giant kit-kat bar, 640 calories.

And then I basically went into a carb coma... after dozing on my couch for a while I got myself up and went to bed.
    In bed around 8:15 pm.

axelb likes this.
  17. Morik

1/21

I woke up at 4 am and went back to sleep. Woke up again at 5 am and went back to sleep.
    Got up at 6:50 am.
    3m to fall asleep (pretty much just passed out when I got in bed).
    9h7m restful sleep, 1h30m restless sleep.

Shoulder feels significantly better, almost back to normal. I think it will be ok to go to class tomorrow.

Recovery: Green (95%)

9 am: Duck eggs (2) omelette with red pepper, scallions, mushrooms, mozzarella, oil. Guessing 400 calories (duck eggs are ~215 for two).

11:15 am: Shoulder maintenance 1, blue band
    2 sets of:
    20 abduction each side
    20 reverse fly
    12 external rotation @ 90 each side

Did an extra set of 12 external rotation @ 90 on each side afterwards (so 3 sets total for that).

12:15 pm: Calf exercise, 3x12 1s/3s eccentric calf raises.

1:15 pm: Pork shoulder sandwich with cheese, bacon jam, and apple slaw. Potato chips on the side. Probably ~800-900 calories.

3:15 pm: 30 minute walk @ 2mph, avg HR 110 BPM.

4:30 pm: lemon Rx bar, 210 cal

6:00 pm: Shoulder maintenance 2, blue band
    2 sets of:
    20 abduction each side
    20 external rotation @ 90 each side
    12 y-fly

9:15 pm: Panera Mediterranean bowl with chicken, 650 cal
    9:45 pm: Salami (270 cal) and cheese (320 cal)

In bed ~11 pm.

18. Morik

1/22

Got up around 7 am.
    21m to fall asleep. 6h9m restful sleep, 1h37m restless sleep.
    HRV: 65
    Recovery: Green (91%)

10:30 am: Maybe 1oz of milk (macchiato), ~20 cal

12 pm: Rice, refried black beans, refried pinto beans, roasted chicken, roasted sweet potatoes & pepitas, guacamole, pico de gallo, sour cream, queso fresco, cilantro. Guessing ~800 cal.

6 pm: BJJ fundamentals
    I warmed up with 3 sets of 5 squats, 5 push-ups, 10 crunches, then hit the heavy bag for a little bit.
    I did the floor drills at my own pace with the other beginners with the instructor explaining some of them. Forward rolls (I'm good there), backwards rolls (ok on one side, other side tends to go sideways), a shrimping drill, an alligator crawl, and a drill I don't know the name of where we kept our arms and legs up and twisted lower body one way, upper body the other, slowly inching across the mat sideways (I couldn't really get myself to move sideways, just sort of writhed in place).

With a partner we did some grip breaking back and forth, then a sweep from closed guard back and forth, and then a side control escape putting them back in your guard.

Then we drilled a cross choke from closed guard for the rest of class.

No HR monitor today, forgot to pack it.

9:30 pm: Shrimp & grits, 570 cal
    10:30 pm: Nuts, cheese, dried cranberries, 360 cal

In bed ~midnight.

axelb likes this.
  19. Morik

1/23

23m to fall asleep, 6h13m restful sleep, 1h46m restless sleep.
    HRV: 62
    Recovery: Yellow (80%)

10 am: ~4-5 oz of whole milk with espresso. ~100 cal.

I decided to fast for a while today.

1:45 pm: 37 min walk @ 2mph, avg HR 110 BPM.

8:45 pm: Beef chili Mac and cheese, 570 cal
    9:15 pm: Cauliflower shell Bolognese, 450 cal

In bed ~midnight.

axelb likes this.
  20. Morik

1/24

Got up around 7:45 am.
    1h30m to fall asleep, 6h restful sleep, 30m restless sleep.
    HRV: 69
    Recovery: Green (84%)

9 am: ~4 oz whole milk (80 cal)

12:30 pm: Sandwich & potato chips.
    Turkey, ham, bacon, cheese, parmesan garlic spread, lettuce, tomato, pickles. On ciabata bread. Guessing ~1100 cal total.

6 pm: BJJ no-gi fundamentals.
    HR.jpg

I started the monitor a bit early & spent some time rolling out my lats & pecs.

I warmed up with 2 sets of: 5 squats, 5 push-ups, 10 crunches. Then I hit the heavy bag for a bit while the class continued running, and then did the floor drills at my own pace off to the side, having the instructor show me how to do a few I didn't know.
    Shrimping, forward shrimping, some sort of crawl I didn't catch the name of, a pivoting/angling exercise getting the hips off the mat & pivoting around the shoulders, break falls with technical standup, and I skipped the forward & backward rolls as I was getting winded.
    Then we did grip sparring for a few minutes; I went pretty light.

We worked the pendulum sweep from closed guard today. At the end of class we did a semi-resisted (my partner & I gave about 50% effort to the resistance) couple minutes of any sweep you can pull off.

axelb likes this.