Morik's training log

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Morik, Oct 6, 2016.

1. Morik

Morik Well-Known Member Supporter MAP 2017 Gold Award

5/26

Strength Training

I took it easier today. I slept a lot last night--probably too much, felt very lethargic.

~5-10 minutes of foam rolling/triggerpoint prior to starting (included in HR data).

2 rounds of:
    Cook band roll 6 per side
    Tall kneeling KB anterior, lateral, posterior carry (20s each, 24kg)
    Lying KB press with 8 leg raises 10 ankle circles per side, 16kg
    Suitcase carry deadlift + farmers walk (6 lifts, 2 26kg kettlebells)
    Tall kneeling x-pulldowns with triceps extension, 80lb, 8 per side

Then:
    ~6 squats, 16 kg, 20 sec on 10 sec rest x 4
    Grip work: 10 lbs 20 sec hold (very large diameter section of pipe attached to 10lb by a chain, hard to grip), 10 sec rest x 2 (+ 1 more on the right, left side couldn't do it though).

Trx pec stretch
    30 sec stretching each hip flexor

HR.jpg

axelb likes this.
  2. Morik

5/30
    12 kicks with each leg on the heavy bag before class.

Muay Thai, beginners class, 1 hour

The warm-up was two 3-minute rounds of jump-rope with a short break between them.
    We also did a few warm-up drills: knees (rear, switch, with or without clinch), switch knees (with full head control, alternate after 10)

Then we worked on clinch again, today adding knees. Kru explained how to do it with a partner (striking with the inside of your thigh) vs how to do it with an opponent (striking with your kneecap).
    Then we took turns alternating knees (rear & switch) from a neutral clinch position.
    We added throws, generally done while partner was kneeing.
    We did some free style clinching, with knees & throws, at the end.

HR.jpg

The first spike is the 12 kicks prior to class, then stretching, then class started.

Self Care
    I've been doing the 30s/leg hip flexor stretch on most days.
    The chiropractor added some hip opening--I already do frog stretch before Muay Thai generally, he added wind-shield wiper legs from a plank-like frog stretch position, keeping hips up, focus on the leg rotation away from me.
    He also told me I should be rolling my sides beneath my armpits (lats) out with a lacrosse ball--they were pretty tight there.
    He also gave me a shoulder stretch with my back against a wall.

I generally stretch a little bit before Muay Thai starts, so I'll likely incorporate those there. I'll start bringing a lacrosse ball to roll with prior to class against a wall.

Rotator Cuff Exercise
    External rotation at neutral, 3x12x20lb
    External rotation at 90 degree abduction, 3x12x30lb

axelb likes this.
  3. Morik

5/31

Ashtanga based Vinyasa Yoga, ~1 hour

I skipped most of the half vinyasas in the 2nd half of the class (plank, lower bending elbows backwards, up-dog, down-dog). I had some trouble with balancing today as well.

HR.jpg

12 kicks with each leg on my heavy bag.

Grip Workout (prohands/CoC)
    Crush 10 xx-hvy
    Hook 10x x-hvy
    Finger play 10x each finger, medium
    tripod skipped (bothers thumb)
    trigger 10x xx-hvy
    thumb press 10x x-hvy, 2 buttons
    power pinch 10x heavy, 2 buttons
    crush 10x xx-heavy
    coc trainer 8x, 8x
    coc #0.5 6x, left just barely didn't close on first 4, biggher gap on 5 & 6 (right hand easy)
    coc #1 5 sec hold, left almost closed all the way
    finger extension 15x white, 12x green, 12x yellow, 6x blue (could barely move it)

axelb likes this.
  4. Morik

6/1

Just 12 kicks on the heavy bag with each leg today. We hosted a dinner party with some of my wife's co-workers & their spouses, and she requested that I skip class instead of showing up half-way through the party (which was my initial plan).

axelb likes this.
  5. Morik

6/2

Its been a while since I went swimming... I'll try to get at least 1 swim in each week going forward.

Strength Training, 1 hour

Lying KB press with leg lifts (8) and ankle circles (10 each direction), 2 sets per leg

Trapbar Deadlift
    5x125 lb, Indian clubs
    5x175 lb, Indian clubs
    5x225, yellow resistance band shoulder stability
    5x245, shoulder stability

Stopped further deadlift & skipped goblet squats due to tweaked low back from bad form on last deadlift set.

3 rounds of
    X pulldowns 120 lb per hand (well, pulley cable not that heavy) (8)
    Stability ball leg curls (12)

2 rounds of (mixed in with above)
    Half kneeling palov press 120 lb (pulley)
    Bottoms up 12 kg 30 sec per arm

HR.jpg

6. Morik

6/6

12 kicks to the heavy bag with each leg.

Pre-class (chiropractor recommendations)
    - lacrosse ball rolling my side rib/lats on a wall
    - shoulder stretch/warm-up (back flat to wall, arms go up into a Y and retract back down so your elbow points to the ground)
    - child's pose back stretch with some movement (rocking forward & back into it, like you might in a frog stretch), and then walking hands off each side to stretch the sides from child's pose
    - frog stretch, then windshield wipers from a planked sort-of frog stretch position keeping hips up
    - hip flexor stretch on each side
    (And additional stretching, a bit of foam rolling)

The warm-up was 3 minutes of jump-rope. We paired off and did a few rounds of clinch sparring (no throws, just knees and swimming for position).
    We drilled throws from neutral, throws and/or opening them up to knees from biceps control, and a shoulder trap from a position I don't know the name of (like neutral, but instead of a hand on their head you have your whole arm behind their neck, but they have the same on you, and you are clasping your hands together behind them).

HR.jpg

Class started around 17 or 18 minutes after I put on the monitor.

Rotator Cuff Exercise

7. Morik

6/9

Strength Training, 1 hour

15x clams per leg, 2 sets
    16kg lying press with single leg raise (8) & ankle circles (10 each direction), 2 sets per leg

Trapbar Deadlift
    5 x 125 (back felt a bit off in that spot on the lower right, I hadn't done the chiropractor exercises prior to starting... trainer had me do them and no more back issues)
    5 x 125 (checking if back felt ok)
    5 x 175
    5 x 225, shoulder stability with yellow resistance band
    2 x 5 x 265, shoulder stability with yellow resistance band after each

2 rounds of:
    x-pulldowns (8, 120lb per cable, pulley thing so not actually 120)
    hip thrusters (8 per leg)
    high plank with feet on valslides with a blue resistance band around ankles; open legs & close legs, 12x

HR.jpg

axelb likes this.
  8. Morik

6/13

I've been pretty undisciplined the past few weeks. I had a couple of migraines that took me out of training just for the day, and then I just kept on not training... I'm trying to pick it back up a bit.

My sprained thumb is still not great, but I think it is slowly getting better. I wrapped it in a handwrap again today to pin it in place against my hand so it doesn't bend in a bad direction.

Muay Thai, beginner's class, 1 hour

HR.jpg
    I started with foam rolling, trigger-point on my lats (really tender right below the armpit), and various shoulder & hip/back warm-up/stretching, including the chiropractor recommended exercises.

I'll note the chiropractor recommended ones again as I left one off (I want a complete list I can look back at):
    - lacrosse ball rolling my side rib/lats on a wall
    - shoulder stretch/warm-up (back flat to wall, arms go up into a Y and retract back down so your elbow points to the ground)
    - child's pose back stretch with some movement (rocking forward & back into it, like you might in a frog stretch), and then walking hands off each side to stretch the sides from child's pose
    - frog stretch, then windshield wipers from a planked sort-of frog stretch position keeping hips up
    - hip flexor stretch on each side
    - push/pull stretch: lying on back, one leg flat the other leg raised with shin parallel to the floor. Hands go around the thigh under the kneecap, hold the leg there while pushing away from you with the leg (moderate power), then pull the leg into your chest. 5 times per leg. This is supposed to help reset my SI joint. The chiro finds my right SI joint a bit popped out sometimes when I come in, but he says it resets really easily, and that if he can get it to reset that easy, I should be able to make sure it is set by doing this. The SI joint issue is likely at least one of the causes of the to-one-side lower back pain flare ups I get. It is almost always on the right side--the left has had issues, but rarely.

I did 12 kicks on each leg (I think that is the first spike into red). I have been slacking on those too and am going to try to do them every weekday.
    I shadow boxed for a bit too (the section of yellow til a bit after 20 minutes), then class started after a few minutes of sitting down.

The warm-up was 3 minutes of jump-rope. I attempted high knees during the last 30 seconds... I got some but going pretty slow.

We partnered up & warmed up with very light clinching for a few rounds (no strikes, no throws, just going for biceps or head control & swimming for new positions).
    We did various drills in biceps control: throws, sweeps, etc. We finished with 2 rounds of clinch sparring with different partners at the end of class (knees, throws, sweeps, etc all allowed, but knees are with inner thigh & not too much power.
    I started to get a headache after the 2nd round of clinch sparring, which went away maybe 30 minutes after class. The Kru had wanted to do more clinch sparring but we ran out of time... I was pretty wiped though.

Rotator Cuff Exercise

axelb likes this.
  9. Morik

6/14

Didn't feel very good all day. I only got about 6 hours sleep, headache (non-migraine, thankfully) all day, skipped exercise.

Self Care
    I did get a 60 minute massage focusing on low back, hips, shoulders, and calves.

6/15

Only got 5.5 hours of sleep last night; I woke up early and was unable to fall back asleep. I think it is due to not exercising enough recently, then going hard on 6/13. This used to happen when I got exertion headaches like I did that night; I would take forever to fall asleep (1.5 hours 6/13, 1 hour 6/14), and sometimes wake up early despite not getting much sleep. I felt ok other than a bit tired today.

12 kicks with each leg on the heavy bag.

I took some ibuprofen prior to class to prevent exertion headache. This was a hard class so I'm glad I did--no headache so far.

HR.jpg

I foam rolled & trigger-pointed and did the shoulder & hips/back warm-up exercises, then shadow boxed for a bit. I sat down to wrap up, then class started a bit after 20 minutes in.

The warm-up was 3 rounds of jump-rope, each followed by 10 push-ups. There was a short break between round 1 & then a ~30 second break after the pushups of the 2nd round. I did my best to do high knees for the last 30 seconds of the first two rounds (got 7 or 8 in a row once, but usually 2 or 3), and just tried to skip faster in the last 30 of the last round. I did catch my feet a lot, but I also had to pause for breath a few times.

I held pads first, we did 3 drills then switched. Every drill had a hard kick into a kick shield (focus mitt on the other hand for punches & elbows). The breaks on my set were fairly short as the drills had already been explained--turns out I stayed in the red zone for 7 minutes.
    Then we did kicking drills on kick shields. The one with low kick, mid kick, switch kick on the Kru's count (10 sets of those 3) ramped me firmly into the red (the last spike), which is when I had to go vomit a bit and take a break. After that we finished with a drill that didn't have a kick (I held first).

I need to get to swimming again for cardio--I have no aerobic base. I've started taking the stairs sometimes at work too. I'll try to do it more often, especially when I've gotten some decent sleep.

I've felt ok since the break, no headache.

10. Morik

6/15 addendum

Forgot to reecord some stuff:

Grip Workout (prohands/CoC):
    Crush 10 xx-hvy
    Hook 10x x-hvy
    Finger play 10x each finger, medium
    tripod skipped (bothers thumb)
    trigger 10x xx-hvy
    thumb press 10x x-hvy, 2 buttons
    power pinch 10x heavy, 2 buttons
    crush 10x xx-heavy
    coc trainer 8x, 8x
    coc #0.5 4x, 4x (left couldn't quite close on any, slightly bigger gap on last rep 2nd set, right hand easy)
    coc #1 5 sec hold, left had a gap maybe the size of my pointer finger tip (to first joint), right easy
    finger extension 15x white, 12x green, 12x yellow (hard)

Rotator Cuff Exercise

axelb likes this.
  11. Morik

6/16

I had a headache in the morning (non-migraine)--my sleep wasn't great again, I only got about 6 hours. I tried to sleep more and wasn't able to. Should be back to normal in a few days, hopefully.
    I took some excedrin to kill the headache as I wanted to train today.

I haven't been fasting for weeks now. My wife says her trainer (she trains with 2, the guy I see & another) is fasting on workout days now; I wonder if I could get away with fasting on Saturdays and still working out & swimming. Probably not as swimming puts my HR in the mainly carb burning zone... I'll have to ask him about it.
    Fasting on Sat->Sun nights is hard for me, it may be easier on my day off.

Strength Training
    HR.jpg

Triggerpoint/rolling/chiro recommend exercises and stretches.

We were going to start front squats today but given my sleep the past few nights + my left achilles tendon was bothering me, I did a modified workout.

2 sets of:
    Ankle glides
    Lying KB press (16kg) with 8 leg raises 10 ankle circles per leg.

modified (less wide, but still pretty wide) KB sumo deadlift (one KB per hand of noted size). These 4 sets are the spikes into green/yellow in the middle of the graph.
    8x32kg bells , Indian clubs after (10 circles in each direction: forward, backward, internally rotating sideways, externally rotating sideways)
    3x8x40kg, yellow resistance band shoulder stability after each set (5 second hold in 3 different positions + a repeat on the middle position is 1 rep, did 5 reps)

The last 2 sets got me breathing hard.

X-pulldowns 100 lb
    Hip thrusters (8 per leg)
    High plank with blue resistance band hip abduction (12x)
    1 more set of x-pulldowns

Trx pec, lat, back stretching

I felt pretty worn out towards the end of the workout, but felt recovered enough 90 minutes later to swim a bit. I want to get back to going 2+ times a week.

Swimming
    HR2.jpg

I started the HR monitor in the locker room, and it was a few minutes until I started swimming. The HR monitor stopped getting signal a few times due to me pushing off with too much force causing water to go between me & the electrode. I must have had it in a bad spot for a bit after the one around 4 minutes. I got the hang of it after a few times though.

I took it easy today--I started with:
    Freestyle, breast stroke x 2, back stroke, breast stroke x 2.
    Towards the end I did breast stroke x 3 instead.
    Breast stroke is probably good for my hips--I can get a pretty good hip stretch (feels like frog stretch) if I bring my knees up closer to my chest (with legs together) before kicking out sideways.

I went for 10 minutes in the hot tub afterwards.
    I feel worn out but overall fairly good.

axelb likes this.
  12. Morik

I'm reading up on exercise & fasting now. I am going to try fasting today instead of tomorrow... I ate breakfast around 10:00 am (salmon, apple chutney, sweet potato, broccoli, 500-700 cal), and had 225 calories of pork jerky after the workout at around 1:45 pm. Swimming was 3:05-3:30pm.
    I did have 2g BCAA when I got home from swimming a few minutes after that (my house is really close to the pool).

axelb likes this.
  13. Morik

I fasted for about 26 hours.

14. Nachi

Nachi Valued Member Supporter

Wow, you're crazy! :D Haha :D

15. Morik

BCAA makes it very manageable... though technically it is breaking the fast with a few calories (I think 6 calories/gram?). I had 10 grams spread out over the course of the fast.

16. Nachi

Nachi Valued Member Supporter

Yeah, that doesn't count like a food! :D So you're still crazy :D

17. Morik

6/18

Horrible sleep again, so I slept in a bit to get some extra sleep. Got about 7 hours with sleeping an extra 1.5 hours... This meant I couldn't make it to class though.
    I was probably going to have to skip it anyway due to some bad stomach issues continuing from some bad dietary choices after breaking my fast yesterday... last time I tried taking immodium & going to class when it was this bad didn't work out so well for me. It probably didn't help that we were doing a lot of body shots that day.
    I didn't post about it as it was a bit too gross, but let's just say I'm not chancing that again when I have bad stomach issues.

Swimming
    HR.jpg

Looks like the sensor had a bit of trouble today in the latter portion...
    I did mostly:
    freestyle, breast stroke x 2, back stroke, breast stroke x 2
    I pushed a bit on some of the freestyle laps.
    I occasionally only did 1 breast stroke lap instead of 2, depending on my breathing.

18. Morik

6/18 addendum

Rotator Cuff Exercise

19. Morik

6/19
    I think I'm going to switch to having Tuesdays as rest days. I want to play with longer fasts on the weekend (to start) and exercising while fasted (on Sundays, which were my rest day before).

My stomach is still quite unhappy today, so I skipped class (I was going to go to make up for missing Monday).

Self Care
    Triggerpoint
    on calves/feet/hip

Hip flexor stretch (I keep forgetting to do this, I'm going to start recording it as I should be doing it daily per the chiropractor.)

axelb likes this.
  20. Morik

6/20

12 kicks with each leg on the heavy bag (before class, forgot to do it in the morning).

Muay Thai, beginners class

HR.jpg

foam rolling/chiro exercises & stretches, the 12 kicks (first spike to yellow)

2 of rounds jump-rope to warm up, then we did 2 rounds of clinch sparring; my partner & I went moderately hard the whole time.
    We worked on clinch defenses & reversals. My partner & I kept the pressure fairly high the whole time--my neck is fairly cranked, he had really good head control and a bit of height on me--I couldn't keep my head up at all when he had full control.

Self Care
    Rotator Cuff Exercise