Morik's training log

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Morik, Oct 6, 2016.

1. Morik

Morik Well-Known Member Supporter MAP 2017 Gold Award

5/7

9:45 am
    18 oz black tea
    1 banana

11 am
    Steak burrito

12:45 pm
    18 oz water

4:45 pm
    18 oz water

7:15 pm
    grilled ham & cheese on challah bread
    1 pint Ben & Jerries karmel sutra ice cream

7:45 pm
    1.5 kit kat bars
    1 XL twix

9 pm
    18 oz water

10 pm
    sweet potato and bacon salad from b.good, with added chicken
    18 oz water

axelb likes this.
  2. Morik

5/8
    Weight: 291.3

10 am
    12 oz black tea
    A banana

11 am
    6 oz black coffee

12:30 pm
    Bulger wheat, pork shoulder, black beans, kidney beans, cheese, sour cream, lettuce, cherry tomato salsa

2 pm
    24 oz water

Saw my doctor regarding the arm infection--all clear to go back to class!
    Unfortunately I can't make it on the 9th, but should be able to exercise on my own. And I should be back in class on Friday.

4 pm
    24 oz water

5 pm
    A banana
    some sliced red bell pepper

6:30 pm
    Some yogurt trail mix (yogurt covered raisins, seeds/nuts, regular raisins)

7 pm
    18 oz water

8:30 pm
    18 oz water
    Quinoi and brown rice sushi roll (tuna, salmon, avocado, 10 pieces, 270 calories)

10:30 pm
    Bgood grain bowl with squash, brussel sprouts, mushrooms, cranberries, kale, chicken

I think I am going to discontinue tracking my diet--it is a fair amount of work, and I don't feel that I am making different choices due to logging.
    I'm pretty sure I know what I need to do food-wise--I just need to muster up the willpower to actually do it.

axelb, Knee Rider and Nachi like this.
  3. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

Great news about the infection clearing up.

I can understand what you mean about the logging, I find it useful when making changes on the diet, but once it's habit then you probably estimate your intake easier.

Morik likes this.
  4. Morik

I did a short workout at home today.

Two 3-minute rounds of jump-rope, 10 pushups after each.
    3 minutes teeping & kicking the heavy bag (didn't wrap up, so just kicks).
    Another 3 minute round of jump-rope, with a 35 second plank afterwards. I need to work on that... I want to get to holding at least 60 seconds. I just couldn't hold it today. I should probably do multiple 30 or 40 second sets instead of just a single one.

Knee Rider and axelb like this.
  5. Morik

5/10

Ashtanga based Vinyasa power Yoga, 1 hour

Grip workout (prohands/CoC):
    Crush 10 xx-hvy
    Hook 10x x-hvy
    Finger play 10x each finger, medium
    tripod skipped (bothers thumb)
    trigger 10x xx-hvy
    thumb press 10x hvy, 2 buttons
    power pinch 10x medium, 2 buttons
    crush 10x xx-heavy
    coc trainer 8x, 8x (left had trouble on the last few)
    coc #0.5 4x, trouble on left (but closed twice, very close 3rd, close on 4th)
    coc #1 5 second hold (right closed & held easy, left couldn't close)
    finger extension 15x white, 12x green, 10x yellow (getting easier)

Knee Rider and axelb like this.
  6. Morik

5/10 addendum
    Triggerpoint on my left calf (vibrating peanut)--my achilles tendon was bugging me.

axelb likes this.
  7. Morik

5/11

Muay Thai, 70 minutes, beginners class

The warm-up was two 3-minute rounds of jump-rope with 10 push-ups after each round. I struggled a lot in the 2nd round. I take longer breaks between rounds at home... maybe I shouldn't.

Then we did some punching & elbowing with no gear on (stepping for some strikes, but basically staying in one spot). The Kru watched & made corrections to technique.

Then we worked with pads and a partner, punching & elbow combos for a few drills.

Finally we worked with full gear (shinguards, mouthguard, gloves) & a partner, alternating attacker each rep.
    We did drills like jab -> inside leg kick with the front leg, and built up from there. Hooks (body & head), switch kicks, and crosses got added in different combinations. The defender was passive (and didn't check kicks), though did block punches to the head.
    We finished drilling with front teep into switch kick for an extra long drill (not sure how long, maybe 5 minutes?)

Overall I think I did pretty good cardio-wise for having been out so long--I didn't gas out on anything, and kept up a decent pace.

Rotator Cuff Exercise
    External rotation at neutral, 3x12x20lb muscles burning a lot towards the end
    External rotation at 90 degree abduction, 3x12x30lb this time I had a lot of muscle burn towards the end, probably due to not keeping up with these exercises lately.

axelb likes this.
  8. Morik

5/12

Strength Training, 1 hour

2 sets of each:
    Clams, 15x per leg, blue band
    Single leg lifts 8 per leg while pressing 16kg bell, 10 ankle circles

Trapbar deadlift
    5x125 lb, Indian clubs for shoulder mobility
    5x175 lb, Indian clubs
    4x5x245 lb alternated with yellow resistance band shoulder stability exercises

2 rounds of:
    Goblet squat 5x24 kg
    Trx low row 12x
    Cook band quad leg extensions 8x per leg

I got a polar heart rate monitor and used it for the first time today.
    HR Max: 152
    HR Avg: 117
    kCal burned: 505

Travess and axelb like this.
  9. Morik

5/13

Rest Day

Self Care

Triggerpoint & foam rolling

24 hour fast along with my wife--we figured it would be easier doing it together, and wanted to get back into this for the health benefits.
    I was surprised that it wasn't very difficult for me this time--perhaps because I stuffed myself just prior to starting.

axelb likes this.
  10. Morik

5/14

Muay Thai, 60 minutes, beginners class

The warm-up was 5 minutes of jump-rope. I was ok for the first three minutes, and then struggled a bit.
    Then we shadow boxed for a few minutes (not sure how long, somewhere in the 3-5 minute range).

The Kru was inspired by a body shot knockout in some fight I didn't watch this past weekend (I don't really watch any fighting, even though I enjoy doing so--my wife can't stand it and I don't tend to watch tv on my own), and wanted to work on setting up body shots.

We worked with just gloves & a partner, pressing forward to force them back while throwing punches to draw their guard up, then hitting with the body shot. The Kru went over proper technique for this body shot in environments where knees to the head are legal, warning us not to lean forward when utilizing it regularly, as sooner or later we will get kneed in the face.

We worked various set-ups into the body shot for 3 drills, going 1 for 1, with the partner blocking or parrying each shot while backing up.
    After that one partner wore a belly pad and the other attacked the whole round, working those set-ups and making the body shot.

Unfortunately I don't have any heart rate data--I set it up wrong for remotely saving a session, and it didn't record anything.

Self Care

20 minute massage focusing on low back, glutes, hamstrings, and shoulders

Rotator Cuff Exercise
    External rotation at neutral, 3x12x20lb muscles burning a lot towards the end
    External rotation at 90 degree abduction, 3x12x30lb this time I had a lot of muscle burn towards the end, probably due to not keeping up with these exercises lately.

11. Morik

5/15

Rest Day

My back felt like it needed a day to recover--it was feeling tight/sore after yoga + muay thai + weight lifting last week (though mainly the yoga), and was a bit tight again today and just felt like Yoga would be detrimental today.

Grip Work (prohands, CoC)
    Crush 10 xx-hvy
    Hook 10x x-hvy
    trigger 10x xx-hvy
    thumb press 10x x-hvy, 2 buttons
    power pinch 10x heavy, 2 buttons
    crush 10x xx-heavy
    coc trainer 8x, 8x
    coc #0.5 4x, last rep on left was just barely not closed, others all closed (right closed all easy)
    coc #1 5 second hold, left almost closed and held there, right closed easy and held there
    finger extension 15x white, 12x green, 10x yellow (harder again)

My sprained thumb is still not great, but a bit better than it was a month ago. If it isn't recovering further in 2-3 weeks I'll see the doctor again.
    The extensor hood on that same hand's pointer finger is still a bit off too. Fully extending the finger has some minor discomfort/oddness, and the knuckle still feels mildly bruised on occasion when pushing on it (very minor, but noticeable compared to the lack of such a sensation in other knuckles).
    I'm continuing to wear gel "wraps" under my normal wraps at Muay Thai. If I go see the doctor about the thumb, I'll also bring this up. The doctor did say it took a while to heal this kind of injury--it may just need a few more months with the gels.

axelb likes this.
  12. Morik

5/16

Muay Thai, beginners class, 60 minutes

The warm-up was 5 minutes of jump-rope.
    We then partnered up with just a kick shield and drilled:
    - Choose 1, repeat: knee, switch knee, knee with clinch (grab head & shoulder/arm), switch knee with clinch (grab head & other shoulder/arm). When clinching, pull into the direction the knee is coming from (requires switching the side you are grabbing the arm on to switch knee).
    - skip step knees, 6 at a time (then reset & repeat), with full head control clinch (palm on palm, elbows in), pulling partner into the knee

Then we took off hand wraps and worked on the clinch. I taped my thumb to my hand and it worked out fine with no further injury to it.
    We worked on positioning & technique for head control, neutral swimming & control (getting in close with underhook for control), biceps control (each hands on one of partner's biceps, elbows inside).

Then we drilled 1 for 1, swimming with partner for control, the attacker deciding when to attack and attain full control: either head, neutral with underhook (one hand behind head), or biceps control.

HR data (includes a few minutes before class, stopped a few minutes after last drill)

HR-MT-5-16-2018.gif

The knees into the kick shield, especially the skip step knees, got me into the red zone pretty quick. I completely gassed several times during the skip step knees.

Self Care
    Rotator Cuff Exercise

External rotation at neutral, 3x12x20lb
    External rotation at 90 degree abduction, 3x12x30lb

axelb likes this.
  13. Morik

5/17

Ashtanga based Vinyasa Yoga, 1 hour themed class today focusing on biker's muscles (hip flexors, hamstrings, and quads). The instructor indicated today was less athletic than usual. I still sweat buckets though.

HR-yoga-05172018.jpg

Grip Workout (prohands/CoC):
    Crush 10 xx-hvy
    Hook 10x x-hvy
    trigger 10x xx-hvy
    crush 10x xx-heavy
    coc trainer 8x, 8x (last 2 nearly but not quite closed on left)
    coc #0.5 4x (left didn't close any, close on all though)
    coc #1 5 second hold, left couldn't close, right closed easy and held there
    finger extension 15x white, 12x green, 12x yellow (not too hard today)

axelb likes this.
  14. Morik

5/18

Muay Thai, ~70 minutes, beginner class

The warm-up was two 3-minute rounds of jump-rope with 10 push-ups after each round, and maybe 10 seconds break after finishing the push-ups.

We paired off and worked on various punching combos to start, (jabs, short hooks, crosses, uppercuts), then added kicks & teeps on the last 2 drills (6 drills total). Switched pads every 3 drills.

HR.jpg

The first 20 minutes or so I'm wrapping up, then kicking the heavy bag a bit (that first spike to the top of the green zone), then stretching a little, then just sitting. Class started around 20 minutes after I started recording.
    Kru held pads for my partner and didn't tell me what to do during that time, so I repeated the drills a 2nd time on a heavy bag.

The dip into the blue zone was after I kicked my partner's elbow by mistake (we had short pads and I didn't get my kick high enough). I hit with the top of my foot (not the toes, but the part right before the knuckles or whatever you call it on a foot). Kru had me sit down for a bit he said it would help it not swell as much (thus the HR dip).

I don't think I injured it, just a bad bruise. I'll ice it later tonight.

I'm not able to kick through my target at all on my switch kicks, I couldn't even get my hip turned over tonight. I need to start doing kicks again every day.

Self Care
    Rotator Cuff Exercise

axelb likes this.
  15. Morik

5/19

I didn't end up icing my foot, I applied heat instead. It is tender but doesn't look too bad. I'm going to apply more heat today.

10 minutes foam rolling/triggerpoint, all on legs. (Included in HR data.)

Weight training, 50 minutes
    A slightly shorter session today as I was pretty wiped out by the end of it; we skipped a final round of the last 3 exercises.

Warm-up:
    Clams, 15x per leg, 2 sets
    Press and hold 14kg (one hand) while doing 8 leg raises and 10 ankle circles on each leg.

Trapbar deadlift
    Warm-up (Indian clubs after each):
    5x125 lb, 5x175, 5x225

Working sets (yellow resistance band shoulder stability after each):
    5x265, 3x285, 2x285

We would have done 3 on the last set, but on the 2nd to last set I had a wobble/loss of tension towards the bottom of the 2nd rep and almost fell over backwards. My trainer didn't want to overtax my CNS.

2 rounds of:
    Goblet squat 8x24kg
    Quad alternating db row (fat grips , 30 lb then 40lb)
    Single leg hip thrusters 8x per leg

HR.jpg

axelb likes this.
  16. Morik

5/20

Rest Day

Fasting

Since around 9:30 or 10 pm last night. I didn't eat very well yesterday (which was my first cheat day in a week or so), which is making it a bit harder... it is 1:15 pm now. I'll see if I can fast til 9:30.
    I am taking BCAA. I had 2 grams around 9:30 am, and another 2 grams around 1 pm. I'll likely have another gram or two around 5 or 6 assuming I'm still fasting.

Self Care

Triggerpoint/Foam rolling for 25 minutes. My left achilles was bugging me, my quads were sore too, so a lot of that time spent on calves & quads, but I did hit all parts of the legs as well as upper back/shoulders (including front).

Last edited: May 20, 2018
    axelb likes this.
  17. Morik

5/21

12 kicks on the heavy bag with each leg this morning.

Muay Thai, beginners class

The warm-up was 4 minutes of jump-rope followed by 4 minutes of shadow boxing.

We worked on same-side counters today in class, with a partner & full gear (no pads).
    Working to return cross-hook or hook-cross (plus a kick in most drills) from received rear/switch kicks. We worked on several different combos leading into the initial kick (parrying/blocking/checking) and then worked on countering.
    I actually found the pace challenging as every drill had kicks, and we were going 1-for-1 or 2-for-2 every drill (vs swapping attacker after the whole drill). I was able to keep going but was breathing hard and having to push myself towards the end.
    We ended with some kicking into kick shields in groups of 5; 4 people had shields, one person does the same kick 4 times, once on each, then switch with the last shield holder.

My back did this thing during jump-rope that it does sometimes... it feels kind of like when you try to pop a knuckle and it doesn't quite pop, and then is tender/has discomfort or pain with certain movements/feels odd.
    I think it is always between the same two vertebrae. It doesn't really cause me any functional difficulties, as it usually only happens when I sort of shift my back in a certain way that doesn't tend to happen with any movements from Muay Thai.
    I've also had it happen from being yanked from the shoulders (while grappling on the ground, someone has my back, both face up, they pull me towards them by the upper torso or shoulders).
    It persisted through class and is still there now (only noticeable if I test it by shifting my back in that way). It usually lasts a day or two. I should probably see someone about that.
    Speaking of my back though, my low back has been pretty good.

My foot bruise got much worse after the kick shield drill at the end. It swelled up more too. It had only minor tenderness when I was kicking... I'll apply heat again tonight. Weds class should is grappling again so it should have the rest of the week to heal.

HR.jpg

The first 13 minutes I wrapped up, stretched, kicked a heavy bag a little bit (the first spike to top of green), then waited for class to start.

Self Care
    Rotator Cuff Exercise

Last edited: May 22, 2018
    axelb likes this.
  18. Morik

5/22

Rest Day
    My back stiffened up more the night of the 21st to the point where a lot of things were uncomfortable and/or painful. I saw a chiropractor about it today (23rd) but skipped yoga on the 22nd as it would not have been good with my back in that state.
    My back was worst the night of the 21st (couldn't sit up straight without pain), a lot better on the 22nd (but still not great), and maybe 98% better on the 23rd.

I skipped my 12 heavy bag kicks with each leg as well.
    I didn't do my grip workout either (I had a migraine all day, would have done this one otherwise).

5/23

12 kicks with each leg on the heavy bag (before class today).

Saw a chiropractor today. My back was basically better already so I wasn't in a 'flared up' state for him, unfortunately.
    He said my hyper-mobility may contribute some (certainly puts me at higher injury risk), sitting 10+ hours a day definitely contributes, and that he will try to get me to a place where I don't continually have issues in these two areas of my back (the one with the joint pain like happened on the 21st, the other the chronic low back issues). He said I use my back a bit more than I should when raising my leg from behind (lying on my stomach), but that I do use my glutes for it as well, which is good. (I think before I started working with my weight trainer I wouldn't have used my glutes... my glutes & hamstrings were almost never recruiting in most of my movements.)

Anyway, he wants to see me twice a week for a few weeks and then reassess, and gave me some stuff to do to help my back longer term:
    - Don't sit all day. I have access to sit/stand desks, he said I should get it and try to stand for 30-45 minute periods a few times a day. Until I do, try to get up and walk around every 30 minutes.
    - Stretch my hip flexors daily for 20-30 seconds each.

Muay Thai, beginners class, 60 minutes

The warm-up was two 3-minute rounds of jump-rope, 30 second rest between rounds.
    Then we drilled knees into a kick shield: switch or rear knee, with or without clinch, just repeat choosing one of those 4 options.
    After that we worked on clinching: head control, biceps control, we learned about how to defensively shoulder shrug & tilt head/shell up, we did some sparring (low power, grappling only), and then we learned & worked on a few throws/re-positioning techniques.
    I was in a group of 3 so the cardio wasn't as intense due to getting some rest during each drill.

HR.jpg

Unfortunately my HR sensor got partially unclipped & stopped recording about 20-25 minutes before class ended (my guess is during the sparring round). I didn't notice til after class.
    The first few minutes I'm stretching, then I did 12 kicks with each leg (the first spike to yellow), then the jump-rope, the knee drill with kickshield, and the rest is clinch stuff.

Self Care

30 seconds stretching each hip flexor.

Rotator Cuff Exercise

axelb likes this.
  19. Morik

5/24

12 kicks on the heavy bag with each leg.

No yoga today as I had my annual physical & didn't have time for it. I got a tetanus booster... my muscle always reacts pretty strongly to them, feeling quite sore for a few days. My gym is closed Friday through Monday for the holiday, so I'll exercise on my own unless I get lazy.

I went a walk today when I got home. I first explored an unmarked trail near my home, in a park that spans a series of large forested hills. It was fairly steep, as you can see in its effect on my HR below. I was breathing fairly hard and it was challenging not to take a break. Many small sets of 4-5 regular height to double height stairs made of large, relatively flat-topped rocks (not smoothed), along with uneven flat to moderately sloped grass & small rocks. After about half a kilometer I started looping back towards my starting point, going downhill. The 2nd kilometer is all on pavement doing a loop around my block, where there is a fairly steep hill towards the end.
    My wife indicates there is another path in the opposite direction as well.

HR.jpg

Grip Workout
    (Prohands/CoC)
    Crush 10 xx-hvy
    Hook 10x x-hvy
    trigger 10x xx-hvy
    crush 10x xx-heavy
    coc trainer 8x, 8x (shorter rest between, left had trouble last 4 reps)
    coc #0.5 4x (left didn't close any)
    coc #1 5 second hold, (left couldn't close)
    finger extension 15x white, 12x green, 12x yellow

Self Care

30 seconds stretching each hip flexor.

axelb likes this.
  20. Morik

5/25

The tetanus shot arm actually isn't so bad this time, so that is nice. Feels like moderate DOMS.

12 kicks with each leg on the heavy bag. I think I'm going to do this just on weekdays and let my shins rest on weekends.

Self Care
    90 minute full body massage

30 seconds stretching each hip flexor

Skipped rotator cuff (lazy/time), didn't do other exercise--worked late instead.