Morihei Ueshiba vs Muhammad Ali (in their primes)

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Hazmatac, Mar 2, 2014.

1. Hazmatac

Hazmatac Valued Member

So, the title pretty much says it all. What do you think would happen if there were a showdown between these two fighters, and why?

2. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Is that a serious question? I mean, it isn't, but I'm wondering if you think it is.

3. Mugen Zero

Mugen Zero Infinite zero

wel it doesn't really make sense to me, but i'm wondering if this will spark a feud between boxers and Aikido users

4. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Is Bruce Lee the ref?

5. Mugen Zero

Mugen Zero Infinite zero

my thanks on MAP is my like on FB :D

6. Hazmatac

Hazmatac Valued Member

Yes.

7. Hazmatac

Hazmatac Valued Member

There is no ref. The winner would be the person who takes the other out of the fight (e.g. armbreak, knockout, etc.)

8. holyheadjch

So you think it is sensible to compare a tiny Japanese man with one of the greatest heavyweight boxers of all time?

9. Hazmatac

Hazmatac Valued Member

Yes.

10. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

I seem to remember that this was narrowed down to either
    Gracie by arm bar
    Or
    Giant squid
    I hope this was helpful ;)

11. holyheadjch

*sigh*

12. Hazmatac

Hazmatac Valued Member

I'm not sure why there is a general theme of being against comparison on this message board board. It is okay to compare: which is the better car for my needs, what career would I find most happiness in, who was the stronger fighter in their prime. I don't see anything wrong in asking what I did. I don't see anything wrong with intelligent speculation.

In any case, to go into things further Holyheadjch, just because he is a smaller man does not mean that he should be discounted when fighting a larger opponent, unless aikido is only good for pushing your weight around with people smaller than you. Also, notice that I asked for who would win IN THEIR PRIMES in the title

Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
  13. holyheadjch

The first two of those comparisons are not like the third.
    I'm guessing you don't train, or at least you don't train in an art that requires any kind of sparring. Size matters when it comes to fighting. Any one who tells you different is either really really big or really really stupid.

14. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I remember my first beer.....

15. Hazmatac

Hazmatac Valued Member

The fact is that there is nothing inherently wrong in comparison.

Sure, size can matter. Although, aikido is supposed to be an art which negates size difference to some extent (bigger people don't necessarily have stronger joints). And, like I told you in my last post: I am asking for who would win in their primes.

16. Hazmatac

Hazmatac Valued Member

Chadderz, your intentional offtopic post has been reported.

17. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Hazmatac, the problem with these threads is they never end in a sensible discussion.

That's not your fault, but style v style arguments never work and Ali has fought Japanese martial artists before.

These fights don't work because of the rules. If you take out kicking Ali is at a disadvantage. If you keep kicking in the kicker stays low and does leg kicks, which is a disadvantage to the boxer.

18. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Hazmatac, this is just going to provoke a flame war and that's not what we want.

If you see something you don't like, then use the report function. Don't though bring that to the main forum.

You are now as much at fault as anyone else.

19. Hazmatac

Hazmatac Valued Member

I'm not sure why it is more expected to provoke a flame war as opposed to letting people know it's a bad idea to put pointless posts on my threads, for they will be reported. Furthermore, why are you only calling me out vs calling Chadderz out as well?
    You are a mod so in the future I won't do that, but I didn't post what I did in a vacuum...

Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
  20. Please reality

Please reality Back to basics

Hazmatac,

I hear you brother and feel your angst. It is a simple answer really. Ueshiba wins, he studied weapons and would pick up a spear and keep his distance or use a sword if the encounter got closer.:D He might've been a martial arts master but he wasn't dumb.

Now with no weapons, if Ueshiba can duck under(he is smaller right) a few punches without getting KOed and grapple with Ali or use some atemi to enter in and throw him, he might not get massacred, which is what everyone assumes would happen.

However, it all depends on the situation. Ring, outside with a lot of space, dark alley, weapons or not, does kotodama work on foreigners, lots of factors to consider here. So in the end, it is kind or a strange and nonsensical question, but suffice to say that when Tyson came to Japan and visited an aikido dojo, he was supposedly impressed. Isn't that good enough?