Moores Shou' Shu'

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by Shou Tu, Jan 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guerilla Fists

Guerilla Fists New Member

Before we dismiss tournament fighting I would like to state a few pros to "practicing that way"
    Firstly it prepares us to immediately jump into the fighting mindset. By engaging in tournaments and controlled fights (not point sparring, but real fighting) we hone our skills for those times that the eyes may not always be available for attack.
    Secondly it's a good way to diversify our tactics and skill by fighting others from many different styles. In competing with other kung fu practioners or TKDists or whatever we learn to quickly adapt and recognize opponents from a similar background. Of course not every person we fight will be from a specific style in real life, but keeping options available is what our style is about right?
    Thirdly it's fun, just plain fun. I used to love going to tournaments and earning medals and trophies for Judo, getting sponsored for bigger events. Even if someone says it's an ego trip I have to look at all the good it's brought me and the places I've seen.
    Browflow, while I respect you greatly as a person, and admire you as a fellow Shou Shu-ist I have to disagree that tournaments serve little purpose in our development as fighters.
    Of course I believe a fighter can develop into an efficient weapon without tournaments and I don't view it as an essential. All I am saying is that it does have a purpose if one is so inclined to take up that route for training and improving their skills.

2. Black Armor

Black Armor I want your centerline!

I agree and respect everything you stated eightfold, but what I meant by take away from our skills, is the vital strikes we make aren't allowed in a tournament from what i've heard.. I myself have never entered one...
    the plus is everything you mentioned..
    the minus is that what we train to do would be regressive in the long run if we had to change our mind set of area's to strike in.. .. but yeah, i'd love to enter a tournament and test my skills against another practioner..
    damn, now i'm going to talk to our shun shifu about this when he gets back..
    lets get our own tournament going on!!!!!!!!!!

3. Guerilla Fists

Entonces somos de acuerdo. !Felizidades!

4. Black Armor

yeah! (what he said)

5. Tattooed Bear

Tattooed Bear New Member

tournaments

There are a few shifus that aren't in the Moore's system anymore that fight in the King of the Kage and Gladiator Challenge. They train with Worsham's team X in Sacramento. You can try to look them up on the net. It's kind of hard to adapt to the rules of a tournament, and there are some very tough and skilled fighters out there that always train with those rules in mind. It's kind of like fighting them in their environment, I have alot of respect for the balls it takes to get in the cage and fight.

Mav, you can get good cat and other animal videos at the Discovery store in the Arden mall.

6. Black Armor

I think thats a strong reason why Shifu J isn't doing as well as he expected... he's a shou shu machine, but he's been brain washed or something and he might be out of his element.. (for the time being)
    but the dudes that get in the ring are all bad azz.. I hve much respect for them...
    but I think eightfold is talking more of the lines of a karate tournament.. with judges and penalty cards...
    so stick to the subject Shifu or Manhunt is coming for ya! :woo:

7. Tattooed Bear

Tattooed Bear New Member

I've heard about quite a few Shou Shu students participating in karate or kickboxing tournaments, but I don't know the names or events. I fought in a fightclub a couple years ago. You can watch the bout on drunkenmatch.com. It's a fightclub with a twist, you have to be drunk to fight. It's not all that rough either, just boxing with gloves, but it's fun because of the drunken part. My fight name is Tystick, look it up, it's the most entertaining backyard fight you'll ever see. I fought the big undefeated champ, who is also a friend of mine. We fought to a consentual draw because he was puking and I was about to black out. Oh, and my opponent also knocked out 3 dudes that day before he fought me, he's one tough sob with an iron jaw.

8. Shou Tu

Shou Tu New Member

I think i saw that one. did you post a link to it on another forum??

Salute,

9. Shou Tu

Shou Tu New Member

Salute,

I was going to give my view on Cage fighting but felt that it would just roll into another "get your ass in the cage and see" type arguement from someone that cage fights that reads these posts.

But in Defense of Shifu Jara, his record is very good with 4-2 record. He still has skills from the looks of the record.

Salute,

Last edited: Feb 18, 2004
  10. Xianghua

Xianghua New Member

question

Does anyone know why Shou' Shu' uses Kenpo tecniques in the lower ranks?

11. maverickv1x

maverickv1x New Member

Because these techniques are designed to make you understand a few important things about fighting:
    1) rapid fire
    2) hitting one strike into another
    3) Hip turn
    4)center line shift
    and a slough of other things. They're quick, entertaining ways to learn about Shou Shu principles. That's why.

12. maverickv1x

maverickv1x New Member

Taxes are done. Time to train.

13. Shou Tu

Shou Tu New Member

It keeps the students interested in learning because the techs are stepping stones in the learning process. They can bench mark their progress with visual aid.

Tonight in Group we were going over some strikes. using a tiger Claw to the side of the Face. the same movement is used in a High orange tech. the ones in group that havent learned that Tech yet had a harder time getting the strike. The ones that corralated the strike with that tech were able to do it no problem for their skill level. So in close as one would think a tiger claw is an easy strike to learn by itself, the tech accelerated the learning curve for those that knew it. The student gets a visual application of a strike and how it works when using techs during the learning process. Take that strike and apply it to a stituation not for that certain tech the student should be able to apply that strike with the knowledge of how it operates.

There are movements in orange and purple that can be seen in Blue and Green. taking what you learned from Orange or purple you can better apply that to learning the techs in Blue and green. IF YOU PAY ATTENTION, Yes its more advanced material but it helps to continue to bring what you already know to learning something new.

My 2 Cents,

Salute,

Blue

14. Tattooed Bear

Tattooed Bear New Member

Hey Blue

You seem to know alot for a blue belt. I can tell you've been around Moore's awhile. Shifu Jara has done very well in the mma arena, we should be proud of him. I was there for 3 of his wins. they all happened in one day. One by cobra stike, one by hammerfist, and one by punches in the guard. All 3 of his opponents were bigger than him, and went down hard. 3 fights, 3 KO's, one day! He lost his next 2 bouts to the same guy, but I don't think he'll lose again. I think he would anihilate anyone on the street.

15. Tattooed Bear

Tattooed Bear New Member

drunkenmatch

yeah, I did put a link to my drunkenmatch on the old shou shu site, you probably have seen it. If anyone thinks I look sloppy, just remember they made me do shots of 100 proof whiskey and chug a six pack on an empty stomach before the fight. And if you look closely, my opponent is drinking Jonny Walker out of the bottle in his corner! :confused:

16. Shou Tu

Shou Tu New Member

Salute,

I am very proud of Shifu Jara, He still says Shou' Shu' is an effective art and that he went to the cage to see for himself if his skills were what he had trained them to be. I havent seen any of his fights, always to far away for me to get to them. I read an article w/ Royce Gracie that what was once a style vs. style competetion has turned into Wrestlers knocking people out with punches and Muay Thai ers choking people out. its no longer style vs. style but all around fighters seeing who is better.

I started Training in Shou' Shu' in 1985-1986, Moved away came back in 1990 when i moved back to the area where my old studio in Merced was. Joined the army and havent taken another style since, Started back training about a month ago. I realized in my 12 yrs in the army that attention to detail gets you further with better results than just taking what is on the surface and running (I have applied that lesson while training). I had wanted to train in other styles but couldnt find one that was being taught by someone that cared more about training than trophies. so I patiently waited to return to CA to Train in Moore's Shou' Shu'.

Salute,

Blue

17. Shou Tu

Shou Tu New Member

Didnt think it looked sloppy, got a good chuckle when you guys got done at the end of each round chit chatting then going over and blow chunks. reminded me of my younger days wrestling around with friends.

Salute,

Blue

18. Tattooed Bear

Tattooed Bear New Member

I spent 4 years in the army myself. Ft Stewart, Ga and Schweinfurt GE. I was a cav scout, got some pretty good weapons training, but hand to hand was a joke! I started training Shou Shu in 98 in Sacto, been training hard ever since. Just got my bears. I have used shou shu successfully many times in the streets and bars, I have a knack for finding trouble. But hey, DaShifu used to test black belts in the bars. ;) You will learn more about martial arts in one good streetfight than in months in the studio, especially against multiple opponents!

19. shoushuer

shoushuer Banned Banned

actually i dont think they are Kenpo tech...s, does Kenpo have cobra strikes.

i believe Da Shifu took some Kenpo tech...s and added our motions, aka cobra strikes, etc.

20. Guerilla Fists

Yeah, My dad took kenpo for a while and just from looks of it, plus what I've seen other Kenpokas, is that there is no hip turn. Just a lot of flailing limbs. Even bruisers and street brawlers will have some hip turn, but I see a lot of MA's training people without them. Just a tangent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.