Moores Shou' Shu'

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by Shou Tu, Jan 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maverickv1x

maverickv1x New Member

That was pretty funny when I crane stomped your leg and you stabbed me in the eye at the exact same time.

We gotta do that **** more often. Like...everyday we train.

2. maverickv1x

maverickv1x New Member

If you parry his first punch on the outside and evade, his other punch will have to change direction, and thus be less effective. Reverse punch between his punches into his chin at the same time, and use that hit to bounce your parrying hand around to the back of his neck and ridge hand. You've got to stop him from the front with a hit, though, if you want to hit him in the back. Does putting him into a coma count as killing him?

If these are BIG punches, maybe you've got enough of his committment to tie up his weapons and break one of his arms at the elbow with the other arm and use his energy to flip him over on his back.

If they are jabs that are really close together, and you've got good enough timing, maybe downward-outward rolling blocks to double-ridgehand strikes or cobra strikes or tiger paws to each side of his neck followed by a kick to the groin and a knee to the head would do the job, sort of like thundering drums b meets thundering drums a meets some technique I haven't learned yet but I've practiced before.

I've brought a similar attack to Shifu Wells a couple of times, and it ended up becoming a demonstration, and his response was two tiger blocks to the outsides of my arms (which nearly broke them), followed by a tiger paw stepping into the face. If I were Shifu Wells, that strike would kill the guy, buy I'm instead Mr. Hanowell, so I'd probably just put him into a coma at the worst.

My final suggestion is to try and read his motion so you can react before he gets those strikes out (if you've got the chance). Downward rolling blocks will tie up his arms, and turn the rolling blocks into maybe, say, eight or nine cutting back knuckles. You'll have him seeing stars.

3. Shou Tu

Shou Tu New Member

If you train reaction you will know how to react. most people have a mind set on how they will react to certian situations. once that situation happens they just go But what if that situation doesnt happen. how will you react. you see Gangbangers and street thugs all the time fighting with wild punches and wild kicks. thats all they know. we are taught a way that if we get into a conflict we react and our reactions are ones that are tight and controlled with power. but if we dont train to react and just rely on techs then we get flustered when the attacker doesnt do what we thought.

Reaction drills are a key element in your training no matter what level you are.

Salute,

4. Shou Tu

Shou Tu New Member

I was looking at the Mass attack, I know Shifu Tiger touched on this sometime ago.

in th mass attack you reacting to at least 16 attackers full speed. I know they are pre determined attacks in the mass attack I.E Kata. but to be able to remember all those moves are something. that says something for Shou Shu about mulitiple attackers.

just a thought guys.

Salute,

5. Guerilla Fists

Guerilla Fists New Member

Maverick,
    For sure. We'll punch out and do reaction everyday. I'll make sure I eat enough because the past week my funds have been strained and I haven't eaten properly resulting in my Chi to be weak. But I'll get enough food in me to have a stronger one so we can both progress faster.
    You will have to show me some other reaction drills.

6. Black Armor

Black Armor I want your centerline!

a good move against a straight left or right.. my favorite...
    he comes in with straight right, you parry with your left as your hip turn with the parry... then release the coil with a soft punch to his ribs with your right.. its quick and simple.. to really finish him... from the soft hand punch with your right, heel palm him in the face with your left .. this is my modified cat technique... I just did it in the last demos we did. The move works so well, you just parry enough for him to miss your face, his energy is re-directed and he'll use his own energy to run smack into that soft hand punch (side fist)... I love that move....

7. Guerilla Fists

sad news guys, I got beat out of the number one tetris spot by about 100000 points. Though a relatively meager lead it is hard to regain the higher ground nonetheless. Anyway, I'm gonna go get that title and claim it for the Shou Shu Crew, that or another title in the Arcade section.
    Wish me luck.

8. Guerilla Fists

As promised I beat out the number one spot in tetris and claimed it for the crew, not by a mere 100000 points but nearly doubling the old score to around 1,200,000. Give or take a couple thousand. Magic Hands = Magic Fingers!

9. Tattooed Bear

Tattooed Bear New Member

Fast Feet

Hey Shou Shu peeps, I'm here, finally got my computer to work. I read the post about the reaction to the straight punches and tried a reaction in the studio. Parry, sidestep, wheel kick to groin, or wheel knee, depending on distance. This is just the reaction I had, doesn't mean it's the best thing for you to do. I really like brown flo's idea too, that cobra punch to the ribs hurts sooo bad, and comes out so fast! The most important thing to do is use your feet and sidestep! You can do whatever you want afterward, as long as you use your footwork. Remember, fast hands are useless without fast feet.

Shifu Tan and myself and friends went out to a bar lastnite for some reggae music. They were playing the movie"The Mystery of Chess Boxing" on the tv there. What a true kung fu classic, I love that movie. Definately in my top 3 list of kung fu movies.

My legs are killing me!! Black belt group was awesome, now I can't walk! :cry:

Last edited: Feb 17, 2004
  10. Shou Tu

Shou Tu New Member

Awesome discussion occuring on the ideas everyone is thinking about on the reaction to the punches. gets the mind working. Does anyone know how the grand opening went this weekend?

Salute,

Blue

11. THREE SKY

THREE SKY Valued Member

Hey Crew,

I really like the discussion on the reaction techniques, I wish I could try them out in our sparring class, but sparring is a liitle bit more conservative so I'll have to wait till our reactionary drills class to try out some of the stuff. One of the things some of the higher ranks have told me is that you should not be close enough to your aggressor for the punches to even make contact with you, after all, your legs are longer than your opponent's arms, so you will still have the distance to launch your choice of front snap or forward thrust kick to your "favorite" target without even having to block or parry the punches coming at you, and then of course you can follow up with something "special" using your hand strikes for the grand finale.

Basically, I never feel comfortable relying on a kick to offset an attack, but I am told that this will usually weaken your opponent's intended attack and set him up for your counter.

Anyhow, I just got home after testing and getting my PURPLE belt (TA DAAA!). The sweat was pouring off of me and then having to sit in the horse at the very end just about made me want to pass out. I thought I did great, but know that I could have done better. That 2nd Student Kata is really a test of tenacity. What really blew me away was that Shihan, at the very end of the test, also had me do the 1st Student Kata, which I thought I would have forgotten by now, but it came back to me. He just wanted to see how bad I would muff it up. I'm glad I sucked up that 55 gallon drum of Ginko Biloba earlier today to help my memory (just kidding, my memory is just fine) What was I talking about? Oh yeah, I just got home after testing and getting my PURPLE belt. Didn't I say that already?

Well, I can stop obcessing with Purple and now begin my fixation with BLUE.
    Thanks again to my Shou Shou bretheren for your encouragement and helpfull tips. Special thanx especially to my Shihan and all the Shifus for their patience and teachings.

Peace & May The Beasts Be With You!

Last edited: Feb 17, 2004
  12. Guerilla Fists

Congratulations, hopefully I'll meet you there March Fifth.

I CAN'T BELEIVE SOMEONE ALREADY BEAT MY TETRIS SCORE!!! AAAAAHHHHHHH

13. maverickv1x

maverickv1x New Member

Welcome, Shifu (Tattooed Bear). Salute.

14. maverickv1x

maverickv1x New Member

Anybody know any good documentaries on tigers, or any other big cats that I can go rent somewhere? I want to see them move, particularly hunting and/or fighting with fellow big cats.

15. Shou Tu

Shou Tu New Member

Well a big congrats is in order for TS for getting his purple belt. Onward and upward. Salute Three Sky for a job well done.

I just finished getting the rest of the blue card review and totally fried my brain on the 3rd Kata. which i didnt get at all so i just went over the first 15% of it. My next task is to get the 3rd Kata complete and start burning all that material.

On another note my Wheel kicks are alot better than they were but my round house kicks SUCK BUTT. Man im still in happy mode for TS for gettting his purple.

Salute all,

Blue

16. THREE SKY

THREE SKY Valued Member

Thanx for the congrats. This morning I am awefully sore, but I feel well rewarded. Cant wait to go to class tonite and be towards the other end of the line (well at least in the middle).

Hope to also start the Blue card tonite. I have been told that the Blue card is great becuase you end putting it all together at the end for the 3rd Kata, so you actually get a bonus review of the techs, without having to memorize a seperate form for the Kata.

Maverick, many years ago, National Gepgraphic did an awesome documentary on the Tiger. Go to their website and see what you can pull up.

Peace. May The Beasts Be With You.

17. Indestructible

Indestructible New Member

http://218.97.224.228/ASFRoot/tvs2/2003071503.wmv

18. Shou Tu

Shou Tu New Member

Question????

Has anyone entered any tournaments independently since starting their training?

Salute,

Blue

19. Guerilla Fists

If you can provide any info where I can do that I would greatly appreciate it.

20. Black Armor

Black Armor I want your centerline!

I remember when I was going to test for my high purple up in Burson, a guy that went to the day group (me- night group) carpooled together, he said that he went into a tournament as a low purple but entered under another school that his friend ran, he ended up taking 2nd place in the whole tournament.. he didn't get 1st because he chopped the dude in the throat 2x and got carded or something to that nature...
    I was under the impression if you enter a tournament, you have to be in cognito or repercussion will follow... shou shu isn't permitted in tournaments.. which will take away from your skills, why practice that way.. if the eye is available.. i'm taking that motha out!!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.