Moores Shou' Shu'

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by Shou Tu, Jan 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Black Armor

Black Armor I want your centerline!

Its insane... those guys are on a wushu team and they are trained for that type of sport (art)
    in the seminars you will be getting.. its just the foundation...
    you remember what smokey said "u gotta crawl before you can walk" ha,hah,ha
    but yeah, those fools are doing Big Things!!!!

2. Seeker

Seeker New Member

Does anyone have any solid info on the new studios opening up in S. California. The only city I've heard so far is Indio and that there is a big meeting in LA this weekend.

Just in case I wasn't suppost to talk about this.
    :cool: glasses on
    flash :confused: flash :confused:

3. Guerilla Fists

Guerilla Fists New Member

talk about what?

4. Shou Tu

Shou Tu New Member

Here is where i got the avatar

Moore

Salute,

Blue

5. Shou Tu

Shou Tu New Member

That weapon demo reminded me of the old Kung Fu movies.

there is a school in Beaumont i believe as well. but also there is suppose to be bunch opening up in Southern Ca this yr.

Salute

6. Guerilla Fists

Hey guys look! I got my black belt in Tetris! troll troll troll

7. Shou Tu

Shou Tu New Member

you rock EP, You can break blocks with the best of em now. LOL

Salute,

8. Shou Tu

Shou Tu New Member

Techs`

Here is one,

If and individual is assualting you with a fast straight left right or right left combo. what is the quickest most effective way to neutrilize him without killing him.

Lets try to come up with different avenues of approach and not just agree with another posters idea. think about it hard.

Salute,

9. shoushuer

shoushuer Banned Banned

wipe down to a grab against the first punch while hoping to the side with a knife edge to the attackers knee.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2004
  10. T C D*fighter*

T C D*fighter* New Member

Duck! Grab and lift upwards behind his knees with a quick jerk! then jump on his head and leg it!

11. Guerilla Fists

Brushing Lances would be the traditional school of thought. But I think a side step to front leg wheel kick aimed at the groin would do the trick. But that takes a lot of precision, fortunately we train for that.

12. THREE SKY

THREE SKY Valued Member

I have to agree with 8 as far as the traditional thinking (don't forget Left/Right Combination. Crashing Anvil done on the opposite side would also work). One of the things that Shihan pointed out to us in class the other night is that when all else fails DO RISING KNEE. It is universal! You can parry the left punch, step aside and do Rising Knee (or just do it on the opposite side against the first punch) . Rising Knee is awesome against a variety of attacks, chokes, grabs. Just think about it, do you ever wonder why we always stress the importance of this first "buliding block" of our techniques?

Peace. May The Beasts Be With You.

13. Guerilla Fists

I think left/right combo and crashing anvil are for hooking combos. The hooks spread out the body and the opponents footwork is different on straight jabs then hooks, but if you were thinking hooking combos then I would agree.
    EXCELLENT point abou the versatility of our techs. Too often we get locked in a "this is one way to do it and this is the only way!" set of thinking. It's always been said that we need to be shou shu visionaries not shou shu copies.
    How is that 2nd studen Kata coming? I'm finally getting the hang of mine.

14. THREE SKY

THREE SKY Valued Member

Hi 8. My bad. I missed the "straight" left/right attack that SSB had indicated. Most punches (except for that unexpected "sucker" punch are usually gonna be hooks or hay makers, so we practice off of these hooking punches quite a bit. So, on second thought, don't bridge the gap, so the punches miss (yeah, in a perfect world) and attack the front, snap kick to
    groin folllowed by a knee to your best available target (BAT), introducing your knee to your attackers face usually makes a good statement. Brushing Lance's blocks are specific for this attack, so I still agree with you. Once we start getting some more Cobra tid bits (easy there BF!) I think we will be more versatile with blocking these straight on fast combos, as well as the follow up strikes.

2nd Kata has improved greatly. The "new" shoes with the smooth sole on the ball of the foot has helped me with the pivoting and uncoiling. I highly recommend them! I still need to tweak my 45's for the eye shots, but I'm ready!!

Thanks again to all of you for making this forum a place for us to "meet".

Peace.

15. Guerilla Fists

Right on, so we are both shooting for high purple? I bet we'll be training together at camp, I look foward to that.
    I look foward to meeting all of you. Happy Valentines day. And remember Shou Shu-ers to be safe, because the "V" in V-day also stands for Venereal.
    L8er,

16. Shou Tu

Shou Tu New Member

Ok let me take a shot at this thing i posted. TCD Posted a good one with ducking and a take down with a hop stomp to the head. 8 And TS the tech based approach is good now look at what you have available to you all the stikes and movements. MIX and MATCH stuff. Here is my shot

Attacker is coming forward throwing (left right straight punches). front foot (Left Foot) cross step, left hand grabs first punching arm and spin out of cross step into Left foot back fight stance Right punch to side of opponents head, Grab, kick back of knee out and take down with Cobra Strike to face.

Flip it if a right punch is thrown first. As you can see a second punch was never thrown by your opponent.

Salute,
    Blue

17. Guerilla Fists

Maverick and I were playing reaction yesterday, it was soo much fun. One of us would stand stationary and the other would circle with a rubber knife. At first we stuck with techs like Locking Gate, Slashing Blade, or Flash of Silver ABCD but eventually we startd applying the principles and just going balls out on the knife attacks. We learned so much and were truly humbled because a few times we got slashed, stabbed, serated, lacerated etc (if it were a real knife that is). I think this goes in suit with the discussion as far as breaking out of tech mode and applying principles. Shifu said to me the other day that the techs are just meant to get you started. Just something to think about.
    Salute,

18. Shou Tu

Shou Tu New Member

Thats it exactly. The knowledge is there but we just have to get out of thinking this is for this situation and that is for that. Well what if we just did something. that is what Reaction drills are for to get you to just defend with the knowledge you have.

Salute,

Blue

19. THREE SKY

THREE SKY Valued Member

Hello SSB-

You are absolutely correct. You also opened up my eyes to something. I'm sure many of us that are new inductees into Shou Shu, do rely on the learned techs in a more mechanical type of methodology. I guess that is why some of us responded to your straight (got it this time) left/right attack with the "usual" pre-formated techs that we now feel comfortable with.

I realize this even more so during sparring class, where we need to have a little (no, a lot) of self control regarding speed, power and minimal contact. I found myself actually holding back my instinctual response/reactions and trying to implement the more "robotic" learned techniques. Does not work, in sparring, and I'm sure in a street survival type of situation it won't either.

BUT......when I "cherry pick" certain elements of various techniques and use them in a "stew" of attacks or counters, it seems that the more reactionary, instinctual approach works much better. I am told that by the time you get to blue and green, you become more "intuitive" with the already learned format. SSB, even though you were out for so long, your intuition is still fresh!

Peace. May The Beasts Be With You!

20. Shou Tu

Shou Tu New Member

TS,

Thank you for the props. But although my knowledge is somewhat still there, it is my Shun Shifu that gets the motor running. After group i may have not be able to do the applications he showed us 100% Correctly, But it starts my mind working on different apps for different situations.

Salute,

Blue

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.