Moores Shou' Shu'

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by Shou Tu, Jan 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Black Armor

Black Armor I want your centerline!

yeah Maverick... did you ask if we could speak openly about this!?

2. Black Armor

My son is a low green belt and has been studying Shou Shu for 3yrs now, he is 11yrs old now, he's the best kid by far and alot of people will contest to that. He's very respectful and polite.. brings home almost all A's and B's.. never has he got a C on his report card... always is eager to help me with whatever is at hand and just loves being with his dad.
    I wanted to share w/you some hands on I gave him last night.
    Because he is alot higher rank and advanced from the other kids.. (next rank is low/high purples) he doesn't get that much attention due to too many kids and not enough instructors (understandable)...
    so the last few months he has lost an interest in attending the kids groups because he isn't advancing anymore (in his eyes material wise)
    so I started taking him in to night classes with me and my older daughter.
    During kids groups they learn techniques and reaction and develop good blocks and so on.. but rarely get to use bodies simply because kids can't ki off a punch.. so last night I had my son practice 1 technique, 1 kick, and 1 strike...
    I gave him an hr (adult group) and afterwards seen if there were any improvements.. his wheel kick when flipped over was like a table.. very impressive and I got him to pivot the foot all the way around and be able to return the kick to his starting position, I had him practice parry, w/punch to the ribs.. had him try it on another student and he was stoked that he was able to stop this guy with his little punch... the technique I had him practice was his hand set w/part 2 in it...
    I was so impressed and most importantly.. he was very interested in what I gave him.. so I told him that each week we will work on just a few things and try to get them down...
    my daughter practices also and is now 14yrs old and gets to attend adult group classes, i'm just waiting or my 2.5 yr old to get old enough.. maybe 3.5 before I start teaching her.. she already has a killer swinging kick.. but its only a matter of time... (JOIN THE PARTY, I CAN PROVIDE THE ARMY)
    its great watching a child perform shou shu.. my son when he gets into the right mind set, he floats through techniques.. their body's are free from stresss and they don't know any better than what we show them.. he absorbs like a sponge...
    just thought I'd share.

3. Guerilla Fists

Guerilla Fists New Member

that's awesome, your kids are going to be some killer Shou Shuers when they get their blacks, probably right when they turn 18. It's great to start martial arts training young because then it becomes innate and just flows out of you. My only regret is that I didn't start Shou Shu sooner!

4. Black Armor

This is one of the best bonds between us all... this is something I can look forward to the rest of my life.. me and my children will always have this tie regardless of how old they get.
    Eightfold Path; you talk about starting at a young age..
    you look at my son and envy him starting at such a young age...
    I look at you and am in envy because you started at such a young age....
    your never too old for shou shu.. its the body's natural movement, thats why it works so well.

QUOTE=Eightfold Path]that's awesome, your kids are going to be some killer Shou Shuers when they get their blacks, probably right when they turn 18. It's great to start martial arts training young because then it becomes innate and just flows out of you. My only regret is that I didn't start Shou Shu sooner![/QUOTE]

5. Guerilla Fists

I really appreciated what Shun Shifu said yesterday about "it's at that point when you think you know it all that you stop learning, the knowledge in shou shu is infinite"

6. THREE SKY

THREE SKY Valued Member

Hey Mav, thank you for the insight. Thank you's also go out to all my Shou Shu bros for giving me some helpful tips and feed back. That is exactly how I wished this forum would turn out. Your assessment of "tight roping" is a good one, because if your feet are too close together after the cross steps, you cannot unwind in a proper horse or face the right direction. You are absolutely correct in trying it with a dummy. If you have the punches coming in to block, you know exactly where you need to be for the parries, blocks and strikes.

This makes for a good topic for us to engage in: DO YOU GET A DIFFERENT PERSPECTIVE ON YOUR TECHNIQUES WHEN YOU PRACTICE THEM ON A REAL PERSON? HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT REPETITIOUS "AIR" BURNS/ DRILLS? DO YOU REALIZE HOW BAD YOR "STUFF" IS WHEN YOU FINALLY GET TO PRACTICE ON A "DUMMY"?

Peace.May The Beasts Be With You!

7. maverickv1x

maverickv1x New Member

Oh, crud...

I feel pretty dumb now. I meant well, though. But, you know what they say. The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

Crap.

8. Shou Tu

Shou Tu New Member

We all have done it a time or two Maverick no worries.

I like to say my road to success is laid out before me by my teachers and leaders. There are many potholes along the way and short cuts that may not get me my desired results. Which path i take greatly depends on what i have learned from the lessons within the path behind me.

9. Shou Tu

Shou Tu New Member

TS,

I would say for me Burning through gives me a good sweat. But if you can practice on a fellow student it greatly improves your ability to recognize when your stance is to long or your not stepping in the correct spot. Etc.....

But practicing on a person also allows you to shorten your weapon movement thus creating more speed and power. Its a all around plus for me to get to practice my "stuff" on another person.

Salute,

Blue

10. Shou Tu

Shou Tu New Member

Brown Flow,

Right on, I agree 100%. I remember when i was just starting i think i was around 12. everything came so easy to me the kicks the stances. I wish i had that ability now. Your correct they just dont know any better than what is shown to them. but as the yrs have worn on me it takes a little longer to get it just right.

Salute,

Blue

11. THREE SKY

THREE SKY Valued Member

Hi SSB.

Exactly. The burn is always good for the cardio and conditioning aspect of our training. last nite in class we applied Reversing Lance on a "dummy" totally different in application on a person than the way we "practice" it in the air. Awesome arm breaker with very little power needed as long as your trap, centerline and foot placement are correct. I now realize how much energy I have been wasting in the way I practice it.

Ya gotta have a dummy to realize how incredible these techniques truly are!

Peace. May the Beasts Be With You!

12. Guerilla Fists

it's not too late to delete your post if you think it could be problematic...

13. Black Armor

Doing the move in the air for repetitions will teach you the movement.. getting the body and doing the move... will fine tune it...

I am just barely starting to use more bodies now and its great... I think it was threesky that said it shortens the weapons... it really does, I can't do any of my cobra material (solid brown) in the air.. it just doesn't work... it has to be bodies because cobra has no center line... its totally weird and changes this whole topic.. nevermind!

14. Black Armor

Don't worry yourself Maverick, I was just giving you a hard time! Shunshifu didn't say we couldn't talk about it... personally I would wait a bit because we are the guinea pigs right now... but its nothing to worry about.. its not like you told them we have those bodies buried in the back from those guys that challenged us last summer... ooops, did I say that!!!! (delete) (delete) (delete) ha,ha,hah,a

15. Guerilla Fists

Maverick,
    I also wanted to add that you could private message a moderator to delete your post if the time afforded to delete a post has elapsed.

16. Black Armor

yeah, keep scaring him eightfold.. hee hee hee...
    but if you delete the message, your also going to have to do the Black Glasses thing like in Men In Black... so we never repeat it! ha,ha,ha

17. Black Armor

Hey ShouShu Blue.. whats up with sharing that avatar... sweeeeeeeeet!

18. Guerilla Fists

repeat what?

19. Black Armor

20. Guerilla Fists

THAT WAS SICK!!! Those guys are amazing. Do we ever get to do weapons demos like that? Oh man, I can't wait to go to that weapons seminar shunsifu promised us for those with good attendance. I know it is going to own big time. My favorite part is at the beginning when they jump super high like in the matrix.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.