Moores Shou' Shu'

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by Shou Tu, Jan 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shou Tu

Shou Tu New Member

Everyone have a safe weekend. 8fold remember dont let anyone behind you, use them against themselves.

Have class on Saturday, hopefully finish my review of purple and move on to blue.

Salute,

2. Black Armor

Black Armor I want your centerline!

how do you get a class on saturday.. maaan that would be so cool.

3. Guerilla Fists

Guerilla Fists New Member

Magic Hands,
    Welcome to our community. I pmed you a while back, the pms are a great way for us to communicate between eachother when we don't want other people knowing our secrets.

Shou Shu Blue,
    Yeah, thanks for the tip. Put it in an envelope and mail it to last week for me, maybe then I could use it! Ha! JK. Just because I got jumped last weekend doesn't set a precedence for every weekend thereafter, but thanks for the tip. Train hard.
    Wow, I am a sarcastic jerk...oh well. I think I am just jelous because you get a special saturday class.

4. THREE SKY

THREE SKY Valued Member

Hi Guys (& Gals),

I've spent more time in the quan this week than I have all of last month. I am trying to do the second student kata CORRECTLY. I have been told that this is probably (one of) the hardest katas to learn and execute correctly in the entire system. Because of the change of directions, transition of the blocks & strikes, angles of the shots & strikes and man, those cross steps are killing me! Everytime I "unwind" from one I am either on the wrong line of the attack or the wrong angle.

I have the whole thing memorized, but it really looks like crap when I do it. I just get get my feet on the right mark and angles with the transitiions. I first blamed it on the the fact that I was wearing karate shoes and the soles were sticking to the carpet. I've tried it barefoot and the same thing happens. bad foot positioning, wrong line of direction and can't get the 45 degree for the block and eye shot.

Anybody have any tips on a way to practice this? I have to admit, after learning all the techs on the orange & purple cards, the 2nd kata is a real challenge compared to everything else(up to this point) that I've had to learn (and am still perfecting).

The Shifus are giving me encouragement and saying that they can see an improvement in my stuff, but when I am performing the moves on this kata...YECCCHHHHHH!! Purple is dangling in my face, it's in my grasp but just slightly out of reach until I get this kata down. I'M GONNA DO IT!! (I know I can, I know I can, I know I can, I know I can).

Peace. MAY THE BEASTS BE WITH YOU.

5. Black Armor

Black Armor I want your centerline!

I can't describe it in words.. when you come out of the hard upward, knee, punch punch.. you chinese step and drop the block down w/him coming in left hook, then you uncoil and hard upward his right overhand.. when you turn to the next strikes and blocks.. act a bit drunk, just cross over at another 45degrees.. it should work.. only a few angles changed... everything is very tight...
    if you step with your left.. your right weapon should lead.. and vice versa.

6. Shou Tu

Shou Tu New Member

Its a "on a whim" Kinda thing. Not every Saturday but i take it when its offered to me.

Salute,

7. Shou Tu

Shou Tu New Member

I will be going over that tomorrow too. Im starting to feel alittle apprehensive now about the whole 2nd Kata. I was alot younger the first time i learned it so i was more flexible then than I am now.

Im sure if i have problems i will turn to Shifu or ask here.

Salute,

8. THREE SKY

THREE SKY Valued Member

Thanx for the tip BF. I'm just too clutsy with my size 12 feet, and can't get that uncoil into the parry or block without my feet pointing the wrong way. And man, going from that wheel kick into the step down cross step really gets me twisted up.

Act kind of drunk? I think I need a sip of Cobra!!

Hey SSB,

I was looking 4 you on Wed & Thurs. Was Tues the only day you were in town? If so I guess I missed you. Hey big guy, let me know how it goes with your #2 kata. I'm sure yours wont look nearly as bad as mine does!

I've got a choice tonite, sparring class or practice my kata, hmmmm, that's a tough one. Gotta go get my sparring gear ready.

Have a great week end!!!!

9. Guerilla Fists

Shifu Tiger

Shifu Tiger,
    I tried sending you a private message but your box was full again. Anyway I'm just responding on here to let you know I will be at the demo. Ordinarily I have classes on Saturday but we are allowed two absences per semester without penalty. So after my communications class that ends at twelve I'll swing by English to hand in some work and then head out to the demos. THey start at one right?
    Good Luck,

10. Shou Tu

Shou Tu New Member

Tuesday i was there, i was going to go in on wed and thursday but was to freaking tired and sore from work. I went home and ran through my techs. Yeah ill let you know how it goes saturday after i get home from learning it. I dont know 12 yrs is a long time to not do something.

Salute,

11. Shou Tu

Shou Tu New Member

studies

Well i have completed the purple card review and man my balance sucks. work work work is all i can say. plunging darkness's final kick is kicking my butt. Gotta get em right.

the 2nd kata is not as bad as i thought although i need to work on the timing. My big toes are freaking raw from spinning on the mat. Im really gonna be glad when i get a pair of shoes in about a week. They look like the bushido shoes with out the bushido on the side.

off to fresno for a Bday party. Salute to all.

(Quoting TS) and may the BEASTs be with you.

Salute,

Blue

12. Indestructible

Indestructible New Member

You may want to try your form without your hands for a while. When I was having trouble with my footwork I would tuck my hands in my belt behind my back and just work my feet. I used to do this with single techniques that had tricky footwork as well. I did this A LOT with the mass. It'll come, it always does.

13. THREE SKY

THREE SKY Valued Member

Hi Indy.Thanx 4 the tip & the encouragement. That's exactly how I learned the 1st student kata . I'll give it a try. Of course with this kata, the tricky part for me is the synchronized transitions with the hand movements and the cross steps and bow direction , right at the point when you do the eye shots. I've been practicing all weekend, so it is starting to look a lot better!

Peace. MAY THE BEASTS BE WITH YOU.

14. Shou Tu

Shou Tu New Member

OK guys, I was being smart on the reason behind the Saturday class. Got a Shou Shu correction in that tonight. Well correction is that since there was a Movie night on Friday and no Adult group class. Shun Shifu had the group on Saturday.

Salute,

Blue

15. maverickv1x

maverickv1x New Member

My favorite technique? Oh, man...that's difficult, and it changes all the time. The original "I love this damn technique" technique was Trapping Wing, because I quickly saw how effective it was. I'm also surprisingly good at throwing people (I say surprisingly because I'm only 5'8" and weigh 150 pounds at the most). Right now, though, I'm really lovin' Panther. I love the power of that elbow so much, and I love how it makes me understand how every strike has to be ready. Those downward blocks kick azz, too. I'm also partial to a few nerve shot moves that Shun Shifu has shown me (I don't know the names of them yet) that end with a neck snap.

Hrm...opponent steps in with the opposite foot...as in, he steps in with the opposite foot of the arm he's punching with? Few things I'd do, depending on the situation. Say he throws a hook. I'll blast his forearm with an inward chopblock, and have my other hand ready for a strike off of my other hip...say, a rolling inward chop to the neck.

Say he brings in a straight. I'll do a shortened rendition of brushing lances. Parry his punch from the inside, rolling it into an elbow, and chop his neck (shifting into hard bow) before my foot touches the ground. That way, right when his foot hits the ground or before, he'll be dazed, knocked out or dead already, which will make hooking his leg and sweeping him out easy.

Man, thanks, Animal Guy, that made me think!

16. maverickv1x

maverickv1x New Member

That chiropractor Shifu is not only a good chiropractor, but a consumate badass (I mean, of course, he's a Shou Shu black, what, a fourth degree, right?). Oh, my Gosh...I'd never seen crane movement before, but he showed my group one time at camp, and I got goosebumps. It was crazy.

17. maverickv1x

maverickv1x New Member

Okay, man. This is difficult to put into words, like Brown Flow said. He's higher rank than I am, and supremely more badass as well, but I'll throw my two cents in so you get another perspective.

When you hard upward, punch into hardbow, punch into horse stance, you should be using your HIPS, right? So, that means, when you've executed the last punch, your hips should be turned all the way...your horse stance should be "square". KEEP YOUR HIPS SQUARE. You will need them to uncoil from the soft upward block. Also, if your legs get all in a tangle, you are crossing your feet up, not -cross-stepping-. Try to do some mat drills. Start at one side of the mat in a horse stance. Cross step by DRIVING off of your rear leg, then DRIVE off of the stepping leg back into horse stance. Are you in a SQUARE horse? Are you heel-toe? Are you still facing the opposite side of the mat? If you are, you're gold. Try it again. If your feet are in a tangle, if you are "tight-roping", and if you are facing..like..the corner of the room now instead of the opposite side of the floor? Well...start over. You haven't stepped at a forty-five.

here's another tip...have someone throw a punch at you from that angle!!! If it hits ya...you're blocking rong and stepping wrong. If it doesn't (assuming you have a good dummy that is honestly trying to knock your block off), you're getting somewhere. There ya go. Have fun. That kata is so hard.

18. maverickv1x

maverickv1x New Member

The New System

This is for all of my fellow Sacramento school brethren. I don't know about you guys, but I am amazed and jazzed as all Hell about the new system of instruction they're putting into place. The fact that I have a black belt as my instructor until I myself am a black belt, every single time I have a lesson...that amazes me. The fact that I will have three days of my Shou Shu week to myself, for my personal training...that amazes me. I've become used to, and, admittedly, reticent of the mode beforehand, which went like this: I taught lessons, sometimes three a day, at least four days a week, plus kids group, and it was weighing on me,especially since I didn't have a black belt to help me instruct.

I'll be humble. I'll honestly say it. I'm not ready to instruct someone on my own in every situation. In some situations, Hell yeah, and a LOT of situations, I'm right there, I've got what that student needs. But the black belt, paired with the help of his assistants, helping those students in the zone? Oh, man.

I know that it's a big change, and that it might be hard for some of you, but if we all pull together, guys, and make this work, think of how amazing our school will be, think of the wonderful work that we will do, the teachings we will be a part of, the thing that we are a part of which is greater than ourselves, infinitely greater. And, at the same time....our training will be more precise, more efficient...BETTER. It's quid pro quo, baby. Something for something. Let's do this, guys. Let's make it work. Let's make our school not just have 170 students. Let's make it have 200. 300. 500. Two schools, three schools. Let's blow this town up with Moore's, good ole Moore's, awesome Shou Shu, refined, effective, PROFESSIONAL. Let's be PROS.

Let's be great martial artists. Dedicated. Disciplined. Giving. Traditional. BADASS.

Plus, I don't know about you guys, but I'm sure jazzed about being Shifu Tiger's apprentice...it's so old style apprentice-ship, man! This is so REAL! I can't say enough about it. And I'm honored to be a part of it, and honored to be Shifu Tiger's student.

I know Shun Shifu said there will be competition, but you guys know how it is. We're all in this together. We are a family, so let's make it work.

That's all I gotta say about that. See you at the studio.

19. maverickv1x

maverickv1x New Member

Professionals.

This is for all my fellow Sactown school brothers and sisters.

I'm so jazzed about the system we've got. Listen, guys. This is going to be amazing. I know that it will be hard for some of you, but let's do this; if we make this work, think of the amazing results. Think of the wonderful work that we'll do, the phenomenal school of which we will be a part. Think of what we'll become! Think of who we will create! Great martial artsits. Dedicated. Disciplined. Enthusiastic. Giving. BADASS.

I'm honored to be a part of it all. I'm excited about the idea of apprentice-ship, because that's what us red belts really will be to our black belt instructors until we get our blacks. We'll be apprentices. And those guys who are going for their blood-belt, they'll be apprentices, too, they'll be in the game, they've just gotta see how it works first. Low purples, stick with it!!!

Shifu Tiger, I'm honored to be your assistant, and even more honored to be your apprentice, your student. I promise you, I'll be the best student I can possibly be, and the best assistant I can possibly be, too. I'm so excited that I'm becoming a blabbermouth, and y'all know I don't talk much (that was a joke, I talk like a Ford F-250 super duty guzzles gas). Anyway, Shifu, the fact that I will someday move like you drives me to work, work, work, train, train, train. Of course, I want to mvoe like the other Shifus, Shun Shifu, all other Shun Shifus, DA SHIFU! But I've got a black belt instructor. That to me is really special. I don't know...it's real traditional, I think. Disciplined. That's what I'm all about. I wanna be like a friggin' modern-day samurai or something.

Anyway...Lets make this work, guys. Let's do this. Let's become the most amazing thing Sactown has ever seen. Let's blow this town up with Moore's, good ole Moore's, awesome Shou Shu, and a great family of people who drive each other to be better.

20. Guerilla Fists

Hey Maverick I'm not sure but I think we were supposed to keep this new system on the downlow. Remember Shun Shifu was saying they're going to be trying new things here...so logically if it doesn't work out we don't want to be advertising it. There are a lot of things that can go wrong and it's best not to count our chickens before the eggs hatch. But haveing said that...SHIFU TIGER'S TEAM IS GONNA OWN ALL THE REST OF YA'LL. But hypocritical humor asside our team has what it take to be the best, I always see maverick, Mr. S, and myself (although I am still under review) at the studio. We have the diligence and work ethic to overcome any obstacle I strongly believe.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2004
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.