Moores Shou' Shu'

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by Shou Tu, Jan 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ninestep

Ninestep grumpy old man

"Okay, here is the reality check: What if the multiple attackers are all Black Belts themselves? No way, you're gonna get killed. What if they are just a bunch of punks or thugs with no MA experience? Well as a MA you have the advantage (don't you? if not what the heck are you training for????)"

Here, is an actual reality check that answers your question(s) above; Martial arts are hobbies.

Last edited: May 21, 2004
  2. Black Armor

Black Armor I want your centerline!

If your calling martial arts a hobby, then thats why you don't comprehend fighting the way we do... In this day and age with all the crime, lack of law enforcement and sickos out on the streets....
    Do you have children? Do you have a wife? do you own a nice vehicle...
    then your in a position to get attacked one day... lets hope that hobby of yours proves useful....

3. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

Nice to see the Shou Shu threads becoming 'self-moderating' ;)

4. Black Armor

Hey Andy, haven't seen you on lately..... Have I told you how much we appreciate the MAP site... I promote your site all the time... I'm trying to make my way around the map areas... so much to see but so little time!
    I was hoping to start a thread on real fights.. current, not in elementary, jr high or high school or 3yrs ago and so on.. but a thread that people that recently got into a fight and can post what happened... myself haven't fought in quite some time so I felt silly starting it up and not having something to add. just a thought.

5. Ninestep

Ninestep grumpy old man

"If your calling martial arts a hobby, then thats why you don't comprehend fighting the way we do... In this day and age with all the crime, lack of law enforcement and sickos out on the streets....
    Do you have children? Do you have a wife? do you own a nice vehicle...
    then your in a position to get attacked one day... lets hope that hobby of yours proves useful...."

Martial arts are hobbies. Evidently I don't comprehend 'fighting the way you do', and neither does anyone else not under the Shou Shu spell, although interestingly there are posts on this forum and others that say, Choy Li Fut or GoJu Ryu or BJJ or Ninjitsu or Hapkido or Taekwondo or Shotokan or Bagua or Kali or Sombo or Kenpo or Jeet Kune Do or Wing Chun or Wado Ryu or Silat or Kickboxing or Kuk Sool Won or Taijiquan ad infinitum, are the best, deadliest etc etc etc art, and their training methods are unlike anything elses etc etc.
    Yes, yes, and three nice vehicles thank you very much. What enables me to defend myself where necessary is mindset and experience, not martial arts per se.
    I go to California every couple of years, I will visit a Shou Shu school the next time I am there to see for myself, now I can't say fairer than that can I?

6. Black Armor

It would be a beautiful thing to turn you on to some moore's in cali... I look forward to it my friend.

7. Guerilla Fists

Guerilla Fists New Member

I think one thing we should mention that has been touched on is the attitude towards your MA.
    Many people treat their MA as a hobby or fitness program, which is fine. Our studio is open 50 hours a week. How many clubs, dojos, whatever, can say that? That is why we have a different attitude. I personally invest just as much time as I do at school and work as I do in the studio.

8. THREE SKY

THREE SKY Valued Member

Sheeeesh! Wait, let me get out my model airplanes and I'll use them as projectiles to defend myself. Better yet, I can put my coin collection into a sock and use that as a weapon. Naw, I think I will bore you to death (all 10 of you attackers) showing you my stamp collection and while I'm at it, did I mention that my comic book collection has some awesome super heroes that can not only take on multiple opponents, but also entire galaxies as well!

Try to be more civil and less sarcastic. You blokes lack intelligent credibilty when you lower yourselves to condesending(sp?) ridicule. For example: My prior post was polite and even courteous in respect to you and your partner in pun. Compare that to my response in this post.

If you take martial arts for a "hobby" then it is no wonder that you cannot grasp the intensity that Shou Shu students have as it relates to our confidence in what we know we can accomplish with advancement in our art.
    Hobby... give me a break, that's your reality check not mine!

Besides I got this from your profile. You say that professionally you are a MMA instructor and that your:
    Interests:
    Vodka, shotguns and snowboarding.

So does that mean you occupation is your hobby and that your interests are not? I like shotguns too, I do prefer a Single Malt (Highland or Islay) instead of the potato derived spirits, I also enjoy an occasional cigar, never tried snowboarding (isn't that now a competitive winter SPORT?) but these are some of my "hobbies". When I first was exposed to MA it was in the streets of San Fran's Chinatown neighborhoods. I did not take it as a "hobby" then, and I certainly do not take it for that purpose now. Some may and that is fine, so perhaps your generalization speak is for them, but not for me, or the majority of my Shou Shu brothers and sisters.

I take Shou Shu to be a Bad Enuff AZZ to protect myself, my family and my friends from any potential endangerment or confrontation. Please come to CA and visit us so that we can possibly contribute to your wealth of "hobby" experience.

Last edited: May 21, 2004
  9. Shou Tu

Shou Tu New Member

Hey hey i got my sons yu gi oh cards and oh oh my daughters shell collection.

HOBBIES are collecting Football Cards. Shou shu is not a hobby for me it is part of my daily Life.

10. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

Hey, this ain't right! I can't actually say it.
    Lookie here:
    sh* s*u ! :eek:

11. Greyghost

Greyghost Alllll rrigghty then!

your heading for a smacked bottom KE.!

:(

12. Guerilla Fists

Directed to All

All I'm saying is that for the committed (like those of us online) Shou Shu isn't just a fun thing to do or something we go to every few days like a club. It's a lifestyle. Just as sure as you will eat a meal or go to sleep so to will you go to train. When you are integrating any system or activity as often as that it becomes a part of you, innate even. Or maybe internal is a better word?
    Now don't let our enthusiasm leave you with the impression that all Shou Shu practitioners are like us. There are those that don't go as often and may just use it as any other gym membership. You know what I mean.
    Don't rip shou shu because you dislike us. The art is seperate from the practitioners.

13. THREE SKY

THREE SKY Valued Member

So True Shi Hing-

I usually spend about 12-14 hrs a week (minimum) at the Clovis school. My wife sez I should just bring a pillow and a blanket, I spend so much time there,I may as well live there. I will say this (a few of us have already said this in the past) Shou Shu is like an addiction, you can get bored from hobbies, but you just can't get enough Cobra!!!!!!! (can you tell that I'm liking the Green card?) Mantis & Mongoose are pretty tasty too!!

I have seen the not serious (hobbyists, perhaps?) come & go (they usually don't even make it to Orange), or once they do get to Orange, they come less & less. Once you get past the Purple you can't get the stuff out of your system. Way of Life? For me, absolutely!! Tonite I'll get my sparring "fix". Pounding and getting pounded is certainly not my idea of a hobby., I tend to think of it as "therapy" HA!HA!

Salute MTBBWY

Last edited: May 22, 2004
  14. Guerilla Fists

Man that's the first time anyone called me Shi Hing, feel good!

But yeah, I joke around with this high orange from the school about how much time we spend there. There is a crawl space above the coatracks in the changing room. We were saying it would be nice to just sleep up there and wake up for Shou Shu.

15. shoushuer

shoushuer Banned Banned

Shou Shu a hobbie, thats funny, its a freakin drug

16. Shou Tu

Shou Tu New Member

why was mine quoted there ShiHing,

I was making smart comments toward Ninestep about his MA's are Hobbies comment.

17. Guerilla Fists

Just adding to your point ShiHing. But hey, we're not in the studio here, so I prefer just casual old "Guerilla Fists". But thanks for the respect.

18. Shou Tu

Shou Tu New Member

Yeah formalities i know. LOL sometimes i just cant read your post correctly right away.

thanks for the clear up i was kinda feeling like :cry: but hey im better now. oh by the way SSJ is going to the fights tonight at the palace in lemoore. WEC is suppose to be tonight.

salute,

19. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

There's a Fine line between (Over) Confidence and Self-delusion. You guys Often come across as Deluded with your games of 'Multiple Attacker Tag' and your 'Bear Bares Bum' kata.

Most Forums out there, you'd be run out of town on a Rail or get so much Urine extracted out of you, you'd be on a permanent Evian drip just to stay Hydrated.

Whilst I can appreciate that you are 'really into' Shou Shu and you think it's the best system ever in the history of dubious Secret Doodad techniques, to me as a 'relatively' mature adult, having lived, been places outside my Mothers Garage and paid my own bills for more years than I care to remember, your Martial Talk sounds like Dungeons and Dragons for Ten Year Olds.

To Repeat. All the Cobra, Mongoose and whatever other little Jigs and Reels have been made up for your awesome Combat Arsenal does not Combat Make.

Playing tag against 'Simulated Multiple Street Punx' does not make you a Badass, it makes you Sad-assed.

I'm starting to see Hedgehogey's point when it comes to challenges...

20. Shou Tu

Shou Tu New Member

Must be a hobbyist

Hedgehogey posts the outcome of one challenge and now he is a hobbyist hero.

dont think to hard of a come back cause i need the soap from the box your standing on to wash out your mouth.

Last edited: May 22, 2004
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.