Monk's spade or Kwan Dao

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by kogato221, Jul 21, 2008.

1. kogato221

kogato221 New Member

i have a chance to learn ether the monk's spade or the Kwan dao... but i have no clue witch one to pick. oh yeah i get a custom one made for me for which ever one i pick. so any clue ppl?

2. Bruce W Sims

Bruce W Sims Banned Banned

Actually, what you have stumbled onto is the very old arguement between slashing and thrusting in combat. The spade will provide a predominance of thrusting with a modicum of slashing while the Kwan-Dao will be just about the opposite. FWIW.

BTW: What may help determine your choice is the nature of the area in which you intend to train. A smaller area makes a case for the more discrete movements of the spade.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

3. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Well. the monk's spade was also used for grave digging,so if you're going to employ your weapon in the real world....

Anyway,as these are both very outdated weapons,it just comes down to what you like.Training in either will enhance whatever skills you already posses with a staff.If you've not seen too much of the forms,basic exercises,etc it's rather hard for you to make a decision.

There are more weapons along the lines of the KD,so you can for example, pick up a Spring and Autumn broadsword if you don't have a KD at a demo and fake it.

For sheer romanticism,the KD is the weapon wielded by the patron saint/god of CMAs.as well as being designed purely as a weapon.The monk's spade is a tool,somewhat modified for usage beyond the garden.But again,it come down to what tastes good to you.

Just make sure not to get some lightweight version of either.Get a traditional combat weight.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2008
  4. Bronze Statue

Bronze Statue Valued Member

Is this a reference to Guan Di? I vaguely remember reading that the earliest identified specimens of guan dao/kwan do are from several centuries after his death (supposedly that the earliest specimens were from the 7th century CE). I'll have to look where that source was, though...

The more proper name for it is yin yue dao (crescent moon sword--don't know the Cantonese pronunciation).

5. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Yeah,but it's what you see him holding in figurines and drawings.And you're speaking of an actual historical personage, a general.

I guess once you get upgraded from a general to a god/patron saint or whatever you can choose whatever weapon you want,regardless of era.I'm not gonna argue with him!

Or the people in the business of making /selling said figurines.They outnumber both of us.

6. TheMightyMcClaw

TheMightyMcClaw Dashing Space Pirate

It really depends on which notably bearded Chinese literary figure you like more.
    If you favor Guan Yu, the "Dragon General" of Shu under Liu Bei in Three Kingdoms, then the Guan Dao (Kwan Dao) would be the better choice.
    [​IMG]
    If, however, you favor Sha Wujing, the river ogre-turned-buddhist monk and third disciple of the Buddhist priest Sanzang in Journey to the West, then take up the monk's spade.
    [​IMG]

7. Bangalo

Bangalo New Member

I suggest The Monks Spade because you are able to attack with each side.

8. 19thlohan

19thlohan Beast and the Broadsword

Umm, you can do that with a Kwan do as well.

I would ask for a little demo of both to decide which one you like best as nobody elses opinion really matters.

9. Bangalo

Bangalo New Member

Yes, But Its more effective with the Monks Spade

10. tigermonkey

tigermonkey New Member

from my experience with both , i advise you to find out how many routines are available for each.then ask for a demo of each and then decide which routines you like best. choose the appropriate weapon. i personally prefer kwan do because of the complexity of the routines i had available to me. i used the quando in competition.do you plan on competing? if so you may want to decide based upon which you believe will give you an edge. ha ha just kidding good luck with either, your biceps also thank you