Modifying karate to kickboxing, need help

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by kungfufighter, Mar 16, 2005.

1. kungfufighter

kungfufighter Banned Banned

So, i WAS a green belt in kyokushinkai karate and did southern praying mantis kung fu for about 2-3 months, only problem is, what is kickboxing like, do i snap when i kick? I know to add in some elbows and knees, but what's the blocking like, a friend of mine who does muay thai tells me that when i block, just kind of bend my elbows and keep my arms around my head. One more problem is, my kung fu, the only few things to me that i can easily slip in and add to my karate is the front snap kick, what about the punches? Should i use them or not, because well the SPM style was created to defend yourself, not to fight and kick ass, i mean like go out and pick a fight then start it. Well, one problem i have on this is the punches, its suppose to come form my chest and suppose to twist full circle by the time i hit the object, and when that happens I'm not suppose to straighten my arm, should i use this? And the blocking, it was more of a push away thingy with my arm. Guys and Gals, I really really really need help here.

2. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

go. to. a. kickboxing. gym. you appear to have absolutely no idea about kickboxing and you cannot just modify your style to fit.

3. kungfufighter

i don't want to make it exactly the same, i just need to know a few tips on it, do it'll ne similar

4. _Jay_

_Jay_ New Member

I agree with Ikken, you need to go along to a kickboxing club and learn that style rather than adjust/modify the moves you already know.

5. kungfufighter

Thing is i don't want to just leave the lung fu and karate on its own, then i learned them for ntohing IMO.

6. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

well tough luck then, you are not going to learn how to use kickboxing effectively without going to a class.

7. DangerMouse

DangerMouse Dazed & Confused

There is no "magic" way to learn kickboxing on your own.

At the end of the day you need to have someone guiding you who has already been there and done that. You don't have to leave kung fu & karate, just try and fit some KB in when you can, even if it's only every 2 weeks or something. You can draw from your previous experience and add it to what you learn in KB.

8. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

9. kungfufighter

nvm I got it, one of my friends is helping me out with this. Yo, Yoda Whats up, ever since i got back form my five days, you've been on my ass and it's getting really annoying.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2005
  10. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

kungfufighter. . . . .

Did you stop learnin Southern Mantis after 3 months??? God I hope not, then you're not going to get anything out of it.

BTW, this is simply ludicrous. SPM is meant to be SPM, NOT kickboxing. What the hell are you doing modifying the phoenix-eye fist to kickboxing!!!

Karate is not kickboxing either. It's like trying to make Muay Thai into kung fu, or even worse, karate into BJJ.

Please. . . . .stop this nonsense.

If you really want to go crazy and mix stuff, just go out and do JKD. You'll be happy then I'm sure.

11. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Look over your shoulder dude - that ain't me sat back there :rolleyes:

12. kungfufighter

no, its you alright.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2005
  13. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

If you're changing from a karate class to a kickboxing class (something I recommend you do...) you will have some problems adjusting. For one, the stance is much shorter. Also, the footwork in kickboxing (or at least in muay thai and the striking I do for MMA) is trickier. It tends to be a lot lighter. Your back heel is raised off the ground. You will probably also need to learn to do kicks with your shins instead of your feet.

14. kungfufighter

Yea I'm working on that, what I'm working on to "fix" in my two styles are the blocks and a few of the kicks.

15. kungfufighter

i'm not trying to turn it into kickboxing, more I'm takeing a few things form kicksboxing and mixing it with osme of the kicks of the two styles to not create a new style, but to in a way 'fix' some of the slaws i see in the karate and kung fu i did. So you could look at it and say o your doing karate nwith a kickboxing stance, or your doing karate yet your using kickboxing blocks or kicks.

16. quartermaster

quartermaster Cat-like, stretchy guy

Three things:
    1. Go to a class in whatever it is you want to do.

2. Train.

3. Repeat step 2.

17. mr_vodka

mr_vodka New Member

No offence but... you're silly :rolleyes: Who would say that? You woun't be using that in your dojo unless your trainer really doesn't care what you do. Or maybe you will make street fights? Or spar with your friends to show off?

18. _Jay_

_Jay_ New Member

surely your teacher would train you in your style and thus help you with the problems you see with the way you use the style!

19. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

Well, that's a bit silly. The only reason to change your style like that is if you're switching classes from karate to kickboxing.
    I mean, if you're interested in finding out about other martial arts, you could do worse than read up about them I suppose, but if you want to actually do one it's best to just go to a class and start training.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2005
  20. DEATHskull

DEATHskull TKD Bearfighter

Actually the very first "American Kickboxing" match ever was between Joe Lewis and Ed Daniels in the late 60s, and back then it was called "Full Contact Karate." Joe Lewis has a black belt in Shorin Ryu, so kickboxing actually has it's roots in karate.

Here's a quote from, http://whitecollarboxing.com/kckbxhis.htm

"This was the first time I ever saw Full Contact Karate. In this area of the country the term kickboxing wasn't used to much to avoid any legal matters due to fact that kickboxing was illegal in many states of the United States. Hence, change the term a few rules, and there you go, you got a new sport. Anyway, Big Ed Daniels was from this area of the United States ( Dallas ). He was formidable in size and presence, His 6'8" frame had 260 pounds of raw power to use, as he did, against opponents in the point karate arena. His intensity reminded you of a real killer. Whereas, his opponent Joe Lewis was more refined in looks as well as conditioning. The fight only lasted a few rounds, but for the first time I got to see what karate would do if you didn't control your techniques. To say the least I was in awe. Joe Lewis looked like a God to me. He was a muscular athlete that could really fight. Regardless of what anyone else says that fight more than any other fight at that particular time in karate history launched American Kickboxing / Full Contact Karate."

Anyways back to the first question, everything that you learned previously in kyokushin should transfer over quite well, if there aren't any kickboxing gyms in your area, or whatever, you can always get a heavybag and some gloves, and a few kickboxing books and have at it.