Modern Aikido Video

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by Dillon, Aug 16, 2008.

1. Dillon

Dillon Valued Member

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fN7yn0XOSMQ"]STREET FIGHT REAL SELF DEFENSE - YouTube[/ame]

Thoughts?

2. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

Quiet liked it at least they are using atemi.The knife disarms show common mistakes...kote geashe should be turned where it lies the blade should never point at the aikidoka after contact.

Having said that it is a far better demonstration than most I have seen.Young guys showing good spirit. Not too bad.

regards koyo

Last edited: Aug 16, 2008
  3. Dillon

Dillon Valued Member

I'm glad you posted, Koyo. You were one of the people I was hoping would give input. I'm not familiar with the knife work in general, but I liked a lot of the empty handed stuff. If more aikido training were like this, I would probably still be doing aikido.

4. koyo

Young fit guys (military?) knocking themselves and their aikido into shape..good to see.
    There is a principle at musubi (the instant of contact) the opponent MUST be struck.

That was not always applied.The knife defence had this missing.Better if as he avoided the thrust and cut the arm he should have simultaneously struck the attacker. The
    wrist should be turned where it lies rather than in a large circle as this brings the blade
    dangerously near the face of the aikidoka.

I hope this is seen as constuctive criticysm as all in all I think those guys are doing a good job.I wish there were more like them.

below simultaneous evasion cutting the weapon down and striking.This is needed to allow the instant to execute the technique.

regards koyo

Attached Files:

5. ludde

ludde Valued Member

Looks like they have heard the criticism of aikido from bjj practitioners. Since they wanted to show an counter technique against take downs.

6. armanox

armanox Kick this Ginger...

You know, when I before I started watching the video I said, "Oh, God, not another "modern" martial art." After watching it, it didn't look bad to me.

7. Dillon

Dillon Valued Member

Koyo, I see what you mean about the knife work now. The knives are covering too much space between when the aikidoka contacts the attacker and when the technique comes off.

8. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

I really enjoyed that clip..

Thank you for posting

Smurf:hat::hat::hat:

9. koyo

It is ironic that this thread is called "modern" aikido because what those boys are doing is closer to the manner in which I was taught (and teach) in the sixties.

It is also obvious that they crosstrain something else that was common and which I encourage.

More power to them.

regards koyo

10. Brat

Brat Return of the Brat!!!

The clip's pretty cool. I was afraid it'd be another like what's-his-face's "Combat Aikido" but that was good. Thanks for sharing!