MMA vs TKD

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Whipleg, Jun 30, 2012.

1. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

TKD is a form of Karate IMHO.
    Especially back in the day. Without Karate TKD wouldn't look anything like it does.

2. Instructor_Jon

Instructor_Jon Effectiveness First

Do think that TKD also affected the look of Japanese and Okinawan Karate PA?

3. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Not Okinawan Karate much but a bit of effect on Japanese Karate. Kicks mainly.

4. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Some arts are just appallingly bad though - Choi Kwang Do springs immediately to mind

5. stuckTKD

stuckTKD Valued Member

Hannibal, is this your opinion or are you just being ignorant? :baby:

6. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Just being accurate I think. Choi Kwang Do ain't exactly setting the MA world on fire.

7. Hannibal

It's a fact - lousy technique, McDojo belt sales, appalling training and over inflated and deceptive claims

What would you describe that as?

8. stuckTKD

stuckTKD Valued Member

Am winding you up man, as what you said on my posts, god lighten up.

9. Hannibal

Which god?

10. TKDstudent

TKDstudent Valued Member

Yes the single biggest influence on TKD was Karate. No doubt about that. There were 7 Koreans that went abroad & while there, learned karate. When they returned home these 7 had some early influence on starting or re-starting MAs in Korea, which led to the formation of the 6 early kwans.

(Note: There were others beside the 7, but they influenced yudo, hapkido etc. Then there may have been even more, but they did not become involved with the eventual TKD movement. One did, Ki Whang Kim, but he was not really too involved in Korea. He became involved in the USA as he used it to make a living when he had to move away from the political opposition after the 5/16 military coup.)

11. TKDstudent

TKDstudent Valued Member

Yes I would say mostly kicks as well. I however am not informed enough to know the differences from Japanese & Okinawan karate.