MMA vs TKD

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Whipleg, Jun 30, 2012.

1. Instructor_Jon

Instructor_Jon Effectiveness First

I give the average TKD practitioner more credit than this. I think when it comes to protecting themselves they are just as practical as the rest of us. They will do what they must to survive.

2. TKDstudent

TKDstudent Valued Member

That is right!
    What is so hard for people to understand about this basic concept? Really I sometimes don't get it. If it is SD that one wishes, scrap most TMA places, including the fancy uniforms & keep on the clothes that you where most of the time & seek a place that will have realism & resistance in the training, with the focus on protecting yourself. This starts with self awareness, be smart to avoid situations & places, working on verbal skills & common sense to defuse a situation, along with down & dirty, get to the point of how to hurt someone, while protecting yourself & seeking to run away.

TMAs often get a bad rap on SD, because that is often not their entire focus & they emphasize so much that is not SD related & at times may be counter-productive. Of course, TKD, being the world's most popular martial activity, bears the brunt of the criticism. But I rarely see a commercial MA school, no matter the style, do a real good job with SD. It really is mostly about money & retention. Sadly we do not retain a lot of customers if we make them sweat, have high standards & have them engage in training where they may get hurt, shed some tears, split a lip, blacken an eye or bloody a nose!

3. finite monkey

finite monkey Thought Criminal

If you realy want to train mma for the street get tanked up first, and bring your girl friend along to gee you up during sparing

4. icefield

icefield Valued Member

i have seen the second part more than i can remember :D sparring is never soft when the other lads girlfriend is sat watching lol

5. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

.... are you trying to make a joke.

6. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

Im glad someone said it, this its like asking a basketball player to compete in football malarkey doesn't wash, a fights a fight, you can take things out to make a sport but as long as we all have two arms and two legs what you leave in should always look standardized if its going to work.

7. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

A fight is indeed a fight.

And a sport's a sport and works within a ruleset. They will look different because of that ruleset.

Try it for yourself; spar with low kicks and sweeps, then without. Add in grappling or remove it. Allow head punches or don't.

Changing rules around dramatically alters the strategies that succeed.

As with all competitive sports the proof is in the constant testing in a live, competitive environment; if different tactics worked in WTF Olympic style sparring then people would adopt them immediately because they are there to win competitions and medals, that's how some make their living.

Whether we like those rules or the results they produce is another matter of course.

Mitch

8. Matt F

Matt F Valued Member

Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
  9. StuartA

StuartA Guardian of real TKD :-)

Dont wanna really get into this, but this snippet of info is interesting. In Big John McCarthys MMA gym, he employed a TKD instructor specifically for that purpose. I was chatting with a guy that trained there and he said (to paraphase as it was a while back) that Big John felt that even though kicks in MMA are decent.. theres still a long way they can go.. which is why he employed the TKD guy (who was a traditional ITF'er btw).

Take it as you will, thats all i know about it.

Stuart

10. StuartA

StuartA Guardian of real TKD :-)

Whose to say they couldnt! I know of a number of TKD guys who have done very similar to that!

11. icefield

icefield Valued Member

whilst Big John is a great ref, he is not a producer of world class fighters, or even good fighters, for him to say the likes of Anderson, alves or jose aldo need to improve their kicks...well ....

12. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Not sure how you go from an observation that kicks in MMA could be improved to picking out three of the most notable kickers from all of MMA and singling them out.

13. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Oh so he was only talking about bad MMA fighters then because the quote seemed to suggest MMA fighters in general, so i named a few with what most consider good kicks?

i could name other MMA fighters if you like with good kicks, from champs like Overeem to journeymen fighters like dan hardy, paul daley, etc

would that be more acceptable?

14. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

If the quote did suggest "MMA fighters in general," that might still be a fair characterization. Even if you rattled off the names of two dozen good kickers in MMA, think about the thousands of people participating at various levels in the sport now. Big John is seeing more than just the top-level competitors represented in UFC and other similar events. And it's not preposterous to think that many of them aren't brilliant kickers. Is it?

15. icefield

icefield Valued Member

brilliant compared to what though, how do you judge them wanting simply because they are not as good as the top guys, and the top gus got their skills largely from thai not TKD in the main correct?
    until he starts producing fighters with good kicking skills that come from a background other than Thai his view isn't really worth much more than say Joe Rogans on the matter is it?

16. Instructor_Jon

I would think the whole notion of 'mixed' martial arts is to borrow from any discipline. Why not Tae Kwon Do? With respect to Muy Thai.

17. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Nobody said that John McCarthy's view is worth more than Joe Rogan's view. And nobody is insulting the overall skill of your average MMAer. I feel like you wouldn't be having this visceral reaction if it had involved some other style (judo or Greco Roman for instance). The fact that Big John knew a taekwondoka he thought might be useful to his guys isn't a condemnation of anyone.

As for Joe Rogan, the only video I've seen of him doing instruction was to work with GSP on the spinning back kick, a kick he got from his taekwondo background. So it seems clear to me that while Rogan doesn't necessarily value the overall package, he seems to find value in some of its component parts. So why the resistance to the idea that Big John might feel likewise?

I feel like this hits an unnecessary nerve. It seems to me that a basic unwillingness to even entertain the notion that something might be useful runs contrary to the philosophy displayed by folks like Maurice Smith (who planted high kicks on experienced fighters at will). Innovations in MMA generally come from someone who's willing to say, "yeah most guys aren't doing this, but let's see if it works... "

18. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

Do you think they have better kicks than Buakaw?

That's a serious question.

19. Instructor_Jon

Nobody seems to bring up savate either and savate has some serious kicking!

20. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Savate kicking rocks!!!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMJed79-WoM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMJed79-WoM[/ame]