MMA vs TKD

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Whipleg, Jun 30, 2012.

1. Whipleg

Whipleg Valued Member

I love TKD and I think apart from the strict emphasis on form, it can be very practical. I respect MMA fighters, but nothing rattles me more than when they challenge you, only to put down traditional martial arts like TKD. Somehow it got to me, so I stopped TKD for a while to take MMA classes. And now my good friend considers me a traitor to TKD. Was it really a bogus move?

2. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

You train for yourself , no one else , that's all that matters.
    Which are you happiest training in ?

3. stuckTKD

stuckTKD Valued Member

As Bassai says you do train for yourself so each to their own. I have a friend who trains in MMA and is a nice guy but I really don't understand the "art". He has trained in no other martial art but this, so do you not master or get to BB level in various martial arts before you do MMA, I don't know.
    I know people may be mad at this but I personally think MMA is a brawl and I don't enjoy watching it because punching someone in the face continuesly when you are on top of him is, to me, violent.
    TKD for me has skill, looks the bollocks when executed correctly, sparring has skill and looks the bollocks when there is a good fight and all movements when mastered are lethal. MMA however, blows to the head with fists going all over the place does not impress me.
    I am NOT challeging MMA, this is just my opinion.

4. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Well you are entitled to your opinion man, you should really try it out though, before you knock it, you know?

5. Killa_Gorillas

Killa_Gorillas Banned Banned

I - as any sensible person would - wipe my bottom with this embarrassingly uniformed opinion of yours. Broaden your horizons and reassess your strange and arbitrary attitude towards violence, today! You only stand to benefit.

6. icefield

icefield Valued Member

TKD and traditional arts mentioned in the same sentance ...did you really say it with a straight face...come on be honest ;)

and if you were made to drop TKD simply by being bugged by a friend i suspect you made the right call

7. icefield

icefield Valued Member

yep who would have thought it, MMA fights are violent and messy, now if we could only get those pesky MMA guys to put on chest protectors, head guards and big fluffy gloves, not allow them to throw or do ground work and in some cases not allow punches to the head at all we would be much closer to what a real fight should look like hey ;)

8. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

You seem to be struggling with the concept of Martial

9. Oddsbodskins

Oddsbodskins Troll hunter 2nd Class

[BANDWAGON] Because kicking people in the head isn't violent? Be honest with yourself about what you're doing, please.[/BANDWAGON]

10. finite monkey

finite monkey Thought Criminal

OP

When I told my TKD teacher I was taking some other arts over the summer he was delighted and interested

IMO your TKD friends are jealous, because chances are you will become a more rounded fighter.

After a while of being out boxed and taken down and subbed, they may change thier tune

11. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

It suddenly dawned on me why people generally don't like remakes.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2012
  12. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I just lost 10 IQ points by reading your post

13. Herbo

Herbo Valued Member

GSP is not impressed with your performance.

14. stuckTKD

stuckTKD Valued Member

Told you all, I was NOT looking for an argument, just my opinion and after all we are entitiled to it are we not.
    As I said my friend is professional MMA and I DON'T like watching it, I cannot see the problem.
    Each to their own.

And by the way I was NOT knocking MMA before anyone say anything. I respect what they do, just not my thing.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2012
  15. Hannibal

But your opinion was ill-informed, not articulated and as it stands wrong

"I do not enjoy it" is an opinion

"It is a brawl" is idiocy and reveals your ignorance not a fault with MMA

16. Oddsbodskins

Oddsbodskins Troll hunter 2nd Class

You're entitled to express an opinion on the matter, isn't anything saying we can't challenge it. There's isn't a problem really, I'll be honest with you, and here's a secret I won't loose a hell of a lot of sleep over this. However I've nothing better to do right now so I may as well correct you.

17. stuckTKD

stuckTKD Valued Member

A brawl IS my opinion and NOT ignorance, maybe a lesson in reading post correctly and understanding them is required.

18. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Oh yes :D

I encourage my students to try other arts. Many have done judo, BJJ, MMA, boxing, MT, even some Wing Chun. They all learned lots of great stuff and their TKD stood them in good stead. In return they brought new ideas back to their training in TKD. Everyone's a winner baby that's for sure :D

Mitch

19. Hannibal

No I understand it perfectly - you have no idea what you are looking at and consequently dismiss it arbitrarily. Hence "ignorance"...or if you do not like that word I can substitute "clueless" instead. The preceding are directly applicable to your grasp of MMA, not your approach to life I might add

Try looking up the word "cogency" and then applying it to your thought process

20. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

how is TKD traditional?

Judging from its history...

many of the MMA gyms in my local area are TKD places that have BJJ and Muay Thai Coaches...

MMA is just a format to compete in... not a style.