MMA, the final thread!

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Andy Murray, May 17, 2003.

1. Chilu

Chilu Banned Banned

Sorry I forgot about this thread. I am not saying that all of that is necessarily effective, I am just saying that they trained almost all ranges. It wasn't required, they were in separate classes. I never did get to try the shuai chiao though. Also, I think BJJ would be a lot better than shuai chiao because bjj has been tested over and over.

Also, I have a new definition of a TMA.
    TMA: (n) Traditional Martial Arts; a martial art or combative that refuses to adapt to modern times and get rid of the BS and take in effective techniques.

Also:
    Not me :D I am taking haganah now for the weapons and it covers all the ranges to some degree, and they are going to have a MMA guy come in and help out with sport stuff. Can't wait! After a while I might move on to MT, BJJ, and something with good throws like a san shou place or learn some judo(don't wanna learn too much, just a few effective throws).
    (note: I haven't been going to that kung fu place for a few months now, I was just saying that some TMA places do teach all the ranges, but doesn't mean they are effective :D)

Last edited: Mar 14, 2004
  2. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

Maybe 10 years ago, but many of what you would classify as TMA are moving on now.

You need to get out, and experience some good TMA people instead of relying on second hand information on the internet forums.

If you need help with that, let me know!

3. Chilu

Chilu Banned Banned

You must be confused, if they are moving on then they do not fit my definition of TMA anymore :D because they have adapted. By taking out the BS I don't mean the tradition, I mean taking out the stuff that is ridiculously useless. I have experience a good TMA before, so I know they can be okay. But that "tma" had adapted a little to more realistic training, so it was completely traditional. I am not refering to all asian MA's as a TMA, just ones that refuse to question whether or not their techniques work or not and some don't even spar :eek:

Last edited: Mar 15, 2004
  4. Andy Murray

Your definition of TMA is flawed!

5. shootodog

shootodog restless native

nice thread. have been looking for a place to dump this thing i read on mavr:

:D :D :D

6. blessed_samurai

blessed_samurai Valued Member

After reading 7 pages this one post stuck out to me and I thought all that reading would be mind numbing...jk

Swoop, doesn't the above statement seem oxymoronic? And no, I'm not calling you an ox or a moron...jk

I'm just wondering how does a person get ****ed off at putting down others peoples art when he looks like he's ready to rant about TKD and in going back to part 1 of the two things he hates, doesn't rule number 2 look like you are contradicting yourself according to rule number 1.

And how does a wushu artist hate a TKD artist?!?!?!

7. Chilu

Chilu Banned Banned

I think the labels 'TMA' and 'MMA' are flawed by there very nature. TMA has come to mean any asian art, and MMA has moved from its actual meaning to mostly sport based stuff(I am talking about what people think the term means, I know not all MMA'ers do stuff just for sport). However, MMA can include TMA's. Study at two of the worst McDojo's ever and you can be MMA'er.
    And I do not feel my definition is flawed, but I may have not explained it how I meant to. It means that if it sticks so much to tradition that it does not move forward and adapt a little, then it is a TMA. If they DO adapt to modern combat a little, then I do not consider them a TMA.

Many are moving on, but then they are not what I would consider a TMA. Even if they have forms and older weapons, and still have some tradition, as long as they are "moving on" I do not consider them a 'TMA'. I am not saying they aren't still traditional, but since TMA is generally an insult now, the styles that many would think of as a TMA but have adapted(people say all forms of kung fu or something are all ineffective, but some have adapted) I would not consider a TMA anymore. Just a MA in general.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2004
  8. Andy Murray

Stick a label on it.

That'll help everybody!

Remember what happened to music in 1976 when the establishment needed a shake up?

9. Trent Tiemeyer

Trent Tiemeyer Valued Member

Blessed Samurai, I think you may have missed the humor in Swoop's post.

10. blessed_samurai

blessed_samurai Valued Member

Oh. Sometimes sarcasm is lost to me on a computer screen...hard to hear emotion. But my bad if it was meant as a humorous post.

11. mig29

mig29 New Member

I said that once, and I´ll do it again

MMA offers indeed as many ways of fighting in the real life, as one MMA can focus on real life situations as it´s developed, instead of sport oriented championships.
    But let´s use this theoretical situation here:
    "A fight of two man. No weapons, no clothes, no rules"
    In a pure way, without any acessories, two men can´t fight BJJ or Judo; just imagine the kind of touch that will happen if a naked man use a Ippon Seoinage against another naked man...
    This looks ridiculous but just think in a fight like animals of the same kind; they always use their strongest parts of the body to use in the weakest part of the enemy. If a battle like this happens between humans, the only thing that will happen will be the finger in the eyes and the kick in the balls technique. So there´s no TDA or MMA, at least no one created a kicking balls style.

12. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

nail hit on head

13. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

Id class myself as a TMA, I do only Pencak Silat, but it covers upright striking/grappling, takedown, ground striking/grappling. What does that make my style?

Personally, Id love to train hard in the art for about 5 years, and then test myself in the ring, with a trained mma fighter. Then I could go back and say I truely AM the King!

:D